Kindle with 3G

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

Is anyone using a Kindle 3G and if so how do you find it as an email and web surfer?

I am interested from the point of the 3g version  being "free" so when we visit we can get emails from AOL, Gmail etc?

I currently use my mobile and its so expensive

I know its only a small screen but for looking up bits and bobs can we also surf? the www?

Like 0      
02 Mar 2012 7:52 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

1.  You can access your e-mails.  They are a bit small to read but OK for checking but terrible if you want to reply to one.

2.  You can access the web.  However, it is quite difficult to read especially as it's only grey scale.  My bank has a blue background on its site and this comes out a dark grey on the Kindle so you can't read the writing.  Most sites are unreadable but it is available.

3.  The ideal thing is subscribing to a newspaper as you will get that downloaded every morning.  Daily Telegraph is £9.99 a month which beats the hell out of the €3.50 a day in Spain.  Just miss the crossword a bit.

4.  For quick browsing of internet, I would suggest paying an internet cafe 1 or 2 euro a visit a couple of times a week would be more efficient.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2012 6:05 PM by manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

Thanks Bob AOL

It sounds like good value given that the 3G coverage is free across France / Spain and at least i could turn of my Blackberry email service and surely it cant be harder to reply on the Kindle than a Blackberry

Good point about the general web surfing with the grey scale background but again for finding the odd telephone number etc i could live with it,

Why cant anyone else give Free 3G if they can?

Like 0      
04 Mar 2012 1:49 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Oh yes it can! I have to agree with bobaol, the Kindle keyboard has tiny alphabetic buttons which are very insensitive and the Kindle is not made to hold whilst you are operating the keys.  Also, to get numbers or punctuation, you will have to shift each time and select from a list of options.  You can only use certain (Google based) email addresses as others will freeze when displayed (like mine), or come out in the wrong format.  We get our daily newspaper and although in a different format to the published copy, it's easy to use and provided you have two kindles on the same account, as we do, you can have 2 copies for the same price which saves fighting over the hardcopy!  The cautionary bit is that the web connection is experimental and could be charged at some time if Google feel that users are gobbling up too much band width.

M.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2012 2:04 PM by Isabella2 Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

I have the kindle 3G but how do i access email is it any account ie ntl or just Aol?

Like 0      
04 Mar 2012 2:32 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Press the menu button.  Select Search.  It then comes up with options and the last one is search the web.  Just type in your e-mail provider address like a normal PC (eg. www.btinternet.com) and sign in as you usually would.  Will work with wi-fi or 3G connection.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2012 6:52 PM by saffronbilli Star rating in Dorset and Villamart.... 63 posts Send private message

i bought the Kindle 3G hoping that I would have internet access and be able to read my emails whilst in Spain. However, the internet is so slow it really is not worth bothering with and I have yet to be able to read any of my AOL emails even though I can log into my account. I would recommend just getting the cheaper Kindle and forgetting about the 3G. The Kindle itself is brilliant - I love it - you choose a book and its on the Kindle within seconds! Just forget about the internet access! I can now travel with the equivalent of hundreds of books in my hand luggage!

Like 0      
04 Mar 2012 7:01 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The 3G has other advantages.  A bigger memory, a longer battery life and audio books are just a few.  The main advantage of being able to access it anywhere, even without wi-fi access, was brought home on a cruise.  The paper was still received every morning and we didn't have to pay the ship purser the wi-fi access fee (OK, it would only have been $2, but still) and being able to download a book when you didn't, like me, have the foresight to download tons of book before going.  I wouldn't, however, recommend it as a web browser.  I did manage to get the e-mails but they are very difficult to read and rather time-consuming (OK when you are on a lazy holiday and have nothing better to do).  

Like 0      
05 Mar 2012 11:52 AM by norm de plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

Best thing I've bought in recent times.  Delighted with it.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2012 7:34 AM by Delaluzian Star rating in Portugal. 33 posts Send private message

I've been using the Kindle 3g for over two years - my wife bought it just before the price halved! It has advantages and disadvantages. As a reader it is great for text based documents but not brilliant for pdf. The dictionary and ability to search Wiki or Google from the text is excellent. As a medium for downloading literature from the web it has little to offer.

Consider it as another hard-drive on which to store text, photograhs and even maps and it comes into its own. Don't try to download Google Maps direct the result is simly unuseable but set uo a route on your PC or laptop and download maps for each section or directions transfer them from PC to Kindle and you'll have a notepad which has sufficient battery power for a journey of several days and a screen large enough to read the map or directions.

The keyboard is completely useless. If ever a device demanded an onscreen keyboard this is it. 

3g works remarkably well and proves just how we are being ripped off by phone suppliers. Be cautious, however, Kepp the 3g permenantly switched on and Kindle can reach into your device and remove things - this is not jsut theory, they have already done it! - for details read the Kindle blogs. 3g also eats battery power. I keep it swithced off unless I want to read my gmail where again it excels. Remember, it also has sound so all we need is Skype to do a deal and we'll have a free mobile communicator.

Incidentally, the number of Kindle friendly books now available for download on free sites is such that there is no need ever to be short of reading materail while avoiding Amazon's usurious prices. There are even free programmes out there which will convert, very successfully, several formats to a Kindle-friendly format. 

Like 0      
10 Mar 2012 11:51 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We have a Kindle 3G, my husband is an avid reader & he accesses his Googlemail emails on it.

I saw this recently if you want to try it. Here is a link for free version of the Guardian in a Kindle friendly format

http://mythic-beasts.com/~mark/random/g ... or-kindle/

link on the page for the free one 
gdn-2012-03-04.mobi

Like 0      
10 Mar 2012 1:38 PM by Keyboard Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I was intrigued by the comments that 3G is free in Spain. As a frequent visitor I hadn't heard this before. So how do you get free access, and why is my UK service provider charging me an arm and a leg for using 3G when I'm in Spain?

Like 0      
10 Mar 2012 2:24 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I was intrigued by the comments that 3G is free in Spain. As a frequent visitor I hadn't heard this before. So how do you get free access, and why is my UK service provider charging me an arm and a leg for using 3G when I'm in Spain?

It's only "free" with the Amazon Kindle.  And it's anywhere in the world, not just Spain.  However, the extra cost for the Kindle 3G when you buy it pays for the links.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2012 2:28 PM by Keyboard Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I'm with you. Thanks

Like 0      
11 Mar 2012 7:24 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Hi

Couple of things.

1.  I understood that the earlier 3g Kindles had an email address with them as the wi-fi version does? We have a later one and found the display online so poor and difficult to use that we have never tried to get to our emails via our provider (Virgin) who's web email access is poor anyway.

2. If you are in Spain and want to buy a Kindle from Amazon ensure that you do it via Amazon co uk and have it delivered to a UK address (get it forwarded). If you do not, you will have it connected to Amazon es or Amazon com and not be able to get the books you want. Amazon are not at all helpful in sorting out this mess if you get into it. The only option is to return the Kindle, then buy as I have outlined above.

tteedd

Like 0      
11 Mar 2012 8:01 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

You are correct that Amazon.com versions do not get free 3G outside the USA, whereas .co.uk versions do, strange or what?  My son-in-law lives in the USA and their version will not pick up 3g in the UK!

M.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2012 12:27 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

The kindles sold in Europe use the GSM 3G standard while the ones sold for the US use the CDMA 3G standard. This is the reason why the US ones will not connect to 3G in Europe. Since there are GSM carriers in the US, European Kindles can connect in US but I suspect this will be true only in cities. The CDMA coverage is much better in rural areas.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2012 4:47 PM by Orinoco Star rating in Castilla La Mancha. 141 posts Send private message

Orinoco´s avatar

I ordered the Touch 3G at the start of April from amazon.es and saw this thread a few days later. I was a bit concerned by tteedd's comments, specifically his 2nd point, to the extent I was considering cancelling my order:

"If you are in Spain and want to buy a Kindle from Amazon ensure that you do it via Amazon co uk and have it delivered to a UK address (get it forwarded). If you do not, you will have it connected to Amazon es or Amazon com and not be able to get the books you want. Amazon are not at all helpful in sorting out this mess if you get into it. The only option is to return the Kindle, then buy as I have outlined above."

However, it arrived this morning, with two English dictionaries pre-installed and a Thank You letter from amazon also in English. I went to amazon.es "Gestionar mi Kindle" and it insists I visit the UK site of amazon.

I've just downloaded 4 books from amazon.co.uk with no trouble at all. I don't have a UK address, have been resident here well over a decade and am actually surprised it didn't arrive with a Spanish dictionary installed and a Thank You also in Spanish.

So I can only conclude that where you live is irrelevant, it's where you have your primary amazon account located that's important. I opened mine back in the 90's in the UK and apparently, by default have been sent a .co.uk compatible Kindle.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Standing Charges - 4 posts
high chair - 0 posts
travel cot - 0 posts
A question for Justin re Blog comments - 3 posts
Mobile Internet - 14 posts
Claiming back IVA in UK or Spain for refurbishment - 7 posts
A Big Thank You - 4 posts
Campsite? - 4 posts
Rejas and Security Alarms advice - 5 posts
Electricity & Utilities. - 17 posts
Roof Bars wanted - 0 posts
Hi i am new here - 0 posts
Dickmanns car hire no thanks - 8 posts
Should i pay a reservation deposit??? - 42 posts
looking for a reputable estate agent in the granada area to sell a property - 5 posts
Worst bank - 5 posts
Rollator Walking Aid for sale €95 - 0 posts
non resident civil partners Inheritance Tax on death of partner - 6 posts
Dacions still being granted ? - 4 posts
What sort of picture quality should we get on SKy generally - 2 posts
Association of Citzens - 2 posts
Sabadell take over of Cam - 23 posts
Reserving one's vote at an AGM - 2 posts
MANILVA BUSINESS - 2 posts
saint malo to malaga - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x