Best Euro Route Finder Please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jan 2012 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Hi you erudite lot,

In a month or so I need to drive Malaga to Riga in Latvia; yes, 3,900km... going to try it in a day.

Seriously, can anyone recommend a good online route finder? I try Michelin but there are two problems. 1) I cannot download toll free routes. This is important as they’re about 25% of the cost. 2) It is extraordinarily detailed; it is broken down in some parts to 200 metres. If I were to print it off it runs to 19-pages. Imagine! How do I drive whilst reading War and Peace?

Thoughts anyone? Thanks. Mike

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
30 Jan 2012 4:55 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

We usually use Google maps, don't know if they are the best but they do for us, used them to drive from Stockholm to Valencia and then Stockholm to Valencia via Zeebruge (long story But 3900km in one hit is a l-o-n-g drive, good luck.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
30 Jan 2012 5:51 PM by Scout Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

Scout´s avatar

It's strange, I try and do your route on both viamichelin and RAC Route-Planner and the moment I click "avoid tolls" or "avoid tolls where practical" it throws up an error. I've no idea if it is is temporary glitch because they both pull their info from the same source, or something far more sinister!

I assume you're joking about the timeframe! 3900km in a day would require a constant speed of 162kmph, without a single refuelling stop or toilet break - it's a big ask :)

I had to organise a similar route a while back for Madrid to Skara Sweden, Viamichekin was good, but I had to copy and paste it to Word to cut down on the size of the printout, and I completely got rid of the first 3 pages which took me to the French border, which I knew anyway.

Best of luck!

Like 0      
30 Jan 2012 6:01 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Thanks both... I will try Google maps; I thought Michelin wouldn’t be the only one. That ‘glitch’ you mention; it has never been otherwise, month in and month out.

I was BTW not serious about it in a day; I am planning on 1,000km a day; sadly I don’t think I will have a co-driver so yes, quite formidable.

When I was younger I did Berchtesgaden in South Germany to Ostend in a day; but many young people are idiots’. Actually we had run out of money so couldn’t afford a stopover; four in the car and I was the only driver!

Your cut and paste idea is novel; I will try that; thanks.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
30 Jan 2012 7:25 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

If you use RAC dot co dot uk, it comes up with virtually the same route as viamichelin.  If you try avoid tolls completely it says there is no route.  Maybe there is no way without using the tolls?

Like 0      
05 Mar 2012 8:51 PM by amanda-jo Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi.

It may not be a route planner as such but it may be worth taking a look at ajdor dot co dot uk

It has a lot of roads on it and some handy links to other sites that'll give you toll-free routes through France at least.

Hope this helps.

Like 0      
05 Mar 2012 9:02 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

This is by far the best. Gives three alternatives and you can block toll roads if you want. Even gives estimated costs.

Guy

http://www.viamichelin.com/

This message was last edited by gcarton on 05/03/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Auriga Crown car hire ceased trading - 11 posts
Renault Scenic '98 Turbo Diesel for sale. - 0 posts
Interim Charging Order - 5 posts
Filing accounts at the Hacienda - 10 posts
Bunk beds wanted - 0 posts
Help for changing Aqugest water supply - 6 posts
Spanair Bust ? - 4 posts
What questions are allowed at an AGM - 8 posts
HEATER, COOLER, HUMIDIFIER ONLY 50 EUROS COSTA DEL SOL - 3 posts
TV CABINET. ONLY 30 EUROS. COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
TV CABINET. ONLY 30 EUROS. COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
DOUBLE BED ONLY 50 EUROS WITH MATTRESS. Costa del sol - 1 posts
2 heaters for only 20 euros each. Costa del sol - 0 posts
SELLING 2 SINGLE BEDS WITH MATTRESS AND WOODEN BEDSIDE TABLE ONLY 100 EUR - 0 posts
What are my rights? - 1 posts
Youth employment - 3 posts
Hi has anyone purchased one of these apartments in Vera Paya http://www.propertyinspain.net/property-for-sale/property.aspx?id=15680 - 3 posts
Chemtrails - 4 posts
Satellite TV Q&A - 0 posts
ICP Installationn - 2 posts
Spanair - 0 posts
I am fuming! THEY HAVE VOTED FOR A 20 - 30% increase in fuel prices - 12 posts
A bit of camera advice please! - 9 posts
Dacion en Pago Costaluz Lawyers - 0 posts
Changing electricity provider (Q&A) - 41 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x