:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Feb 2012 1:05 PM by costa.del.sky Star rating. 97 posts Send private message

Nope not needed

Like 0      
20 Feb 2012 1:20 PM by DJW-2707 Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Thanks very much for the prompt response!

Cheers

Dan

Like 0      
21 Feb 2012 1:37 AM by costa.del.sky Star rating. 97 posts Send private message

No problem Dan.

Repost from other thread, I thought this may be of interest for you people here:

As you may know I am an electrician covering the Costa Del Sol and Almeria, so I meet many different clients and they tell me thier experiences, as of yet, I am yet to meet one satisfied Iberswitch customer. Why? Well, to start with the savings they advertise never reflect what  you can actually physically get. I was with a client today and she was discussing with me that she wanted to change provider, and I talked her through it, and Ill take you guys through it as well;

There is a MINIMUM that power by Kw/h can be sold at, currently i THINK 0.1423 cents. It cannot be sold cheaper, stipulated by the goverment, however, companies can offer you a discount on your Potencia Contratada, your TARIFF. This however is approximately only 10euros a month for a 5.75kw property (25amp).

Iberdrola offer 5% off that charge, equalling 50 cents a month discount on that. Also, as of me checking today, they will not raise prices at all for 12 months, so you will continue to pay 0.1423cents all year, now price rises are discussed every 6 months here in Spain, It didnt increase at Christmas so you can be fairly sure it will increase in June. My educated guess from experience is that it will raise to nearly 0.1600 cents KW/h. Now, if you work it out. if you use 500kw/h at the moment for the month of FEB, you would be charged the following:

500KW/h x 0.1423 = €71.15

With a price increase to .1600cents, you would pay

500KW/h x 0.1600 = €80.00 

So effectively you CAN save nearly 9€ a month during the 6 months with no price rises which equals a total saving over a year of

(54€ + .50centsdiscount on power tarriff x 12months = 6€) 

So you would save €60 a year. Exactly what Iberswitch cost in the first place.

Now I am not one to bash a company, look, Iberswitch, I understand you are a business and businesses are to make money and be profitable. Thats fine, I really dont mind. However, I am just putting across the facts that I have and know are true. You DO supply a service, switching people over, and yes, if people want they pay you for that service. But you must not promise savings that are impossible. Its possible to save different amounts with different suppliers, but to say you can half your bill, is just not right.

If anyone IS interested in changing company, I dont wish to sound to much like im selling here or anything, but I at Costa Del Sky offer a electrical installation saftey test, which takes around an hour, testing all your electrics, making sure everything is safe and repairing any faults, and also, after its finished, I will happily take a look over your bill, and work out with you what you could save by changing provider. Basically Ill show you the math I just did above but for your situation. If you fancy changing company, its included in the 40€, so really you dont pay just for changing company, you get me to go to your house, check your electrics, repair any problems AND talk you through changing suppliers and do it for you if you like, all for that 40€.

If you would just like to change companies and nothing more, than, perhaps you may be interested in Iberswitch, at 30€ + IVA, they can change you over, then if you no longer want to pay thier monthly charge, scrap them, they did thier service you initially paid them for.

I hope this is informative, it took a while to write and I hope that clears up what can be saved by changing providers.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2012 9:56 AM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

Sorry for being a litttle slow here, but are you saying that if you switch to Iberdrola now they will hold the price for one year? What if one is already with Iberdrola?

Guy

Like 0      
21 Feb 2012 10:05 AM by DJW-2707 Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Thanks Costa-del-sky,

Could you help clarify, we are in the process of having an electrical connection reconnected with Iberdrola.  For those of us who are used to UK utility systems, the idea of selecting a 'package' (such as, and I quote,  a '5.75kw property (25amp)') really means nothing to us (well to me at least!).

We have a four bedroom villa with pool and air-con and generally consider ourselves 'average consumers' of electricity by UK standards.

How does one go about selectng the right tarriff/scheme?

Any help on this would be very greatfully received.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Like 0      
21 Feb 2012 9:56 PM by costa.del.sky Star rating. 97 posts Send private message

gcarton

Sorry for being a litttle slow here, but are you saying that if you switch to Iberdrola now they will hold the price for one year? What if one is already with Iberdrola?

Guy

That would depend on what your deal was on your contract when you signed up, you may have not go this current deal, check with your supplier or check your contract to find out what discounts they gave you.

DJW-2707

How does one go about selectng the right tarriff/scheme?

Any help on this would be very greatfully received.

Excellent question, let me give you a rough guide.

If you have aircon, a electric hot water boiler, electric hob and cooker and a kettle, you will be perhaps cutting it short with a 20amp supply(4.5kw) or to be sure if you are living thier all the time and not too carefull with your electric, 5.75km (25amp).

25 amp is right for most people, (5.75kw) It will happily run a home with a washer, hob, oven, kettle aircon and electric hot water, but if you have ALL them on at the same time, you are treading on thin ice. If anything, having an ICP and a tariff sure makes you realise how much energy you can use without realising it.

For you, if you have a pool, aircon and all the fabulous advantages of having a nice villa, I'd say to be sure, 30-40amp (7.75kw). Sounds alot, but, consider a summer day around 1pm, Kids in the pool (pool pump on) wife in kitchen making dinner (oven, microwave, hob, fridge, kettle maybe for some gravy) and your son in law watching a tv in the lounge with the air con on. All the while your 100litre hot water heater is heating water for a shower later. That is impossible on a 25amp, maybe even only just doable on a 30amp. Really you need to have someone call around and check out what you use and advise you better, as many factors come in to play, even efficiency of your appliances count. My company offer an electrical installation saftey check for 40€. Consider that if you need it, or get your local electrician to call around and check it out.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2012 10:09 AM by DJW-2707 Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Costa-del-sky,  Thanks again for all the useful info. Much appreciated.  Dan

Like 0      
27 Feb 2012 12:04 AM by costa.del.sky Star rating. 97 posts Send private message

01 Mar 2012 7:30 PM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

Excellent electricity cabling job, too!  Thanks Alex

Like 0      
01 Mar 2012 7:39 PM by costa.del.sky Star rating. 97 posts Send private message

Thank you very much for the recommendation, I am awaiting a call back Re your electric tariff, fingers crossed!

Pleasure meeting you, what are you administrators called as I meant to contact them.

Thanks, Alex

Like 0      
01 Mar 2012 7:56 PM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

**Edited - Duplicate post **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 01/03/2012.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2012 7:56 PM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by lizh on 01/03/2012.

This message was last edited by lizh on 01/03/2012.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2012 5:41 PM by gmccar Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Guys

I have followed this thread and decided to use the services of Alex at Costa Del Sky. It is easy to complain when things go wrong but its important to praise when due.

I want to thank Alex for his assistance in the following areas:

1) Dealing with Endesa on my behalf and successfully reducing my tariff which was too high.

2) Re alignment of my existing aerial and the installation of a new digibox and upgrading of my existing dish.

3) A thorough, detailed Electrical Installation Safety Check

I was impressed with Alex because he listened to the problems I had, explained the options available and resolved them in a timely manner. A quote for the works was reasonable and there were no hidden extras. All works were of a high standard and he cleaned up afterwards. I thank Alex for his work and would recommend his services to anyone. A guy you can trust.

Scott

El Paraiso, Benahavis

Like 0      
08 Apr 2013 8:44 PM by lynndm Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi Alex

I noticed your email dated last year in which you say "feel free to raise any queries" so I hope you don't mind me asking the following:

(1)  What is the additional cost you need to be aware of that will be on an electrical bill (we are with Endesa) if you have not had an ICP fitted?

(2)  Is it necessary to have an ICP fitted and is it essential or a requirement to have one fitted before switching to a new electric provider?

(3)  We only use our home in Spain on 2/3 separate periods but feel quite aggrieved that we have to pay a monthly standing charge so do you know of any providers who offer a tarriff with this?

(4)  I am currently looking at Iberdrola and Evergreen Electrica - are they both good?

Many thanks for any help or advice you can give!

Lynn

Like 0      
09 Apr 2013 2:40 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

why are you aggrieved that you have to pay a monthly standing charge?

Like 0      
09 Apr 2013 3:10 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
If you don't have an iCP, you will be charged at a higher tariff. Without the ICP your contracted power is not controlled. It used to be a 3.3kw charged at 10kw and 5.5kw charged at 20kw.
It has been law in Spain to have an ICP fitted. Your provider will have written to you twice to arrange this. If no reply you will automatically be charged for the higher tariff.
The only way to get around the standing charge will be to have the power disconnected and then reconnected when you are there. This will outweigh the standing charge considerably. All companies have a standing charge. Even in UK there is a standing charge unless you opt for a higher rate per unit for the first so many units used. Even this would come to more than the 0.06 cents charged per day per kw.
As it is law to have an ICP fitted, no new provider will issue a contract without one.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2013 5:28 PM by lynndm Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi 'bobaol', thank you for your advice but can I please check: would we be charged if we asked for the power to be turned off and on each time we visit Spain (usualy 2/3 times per year)?  Also, would Endesa be willing to do that?

Hi 'camposol', the reason why I am aggrieved about paying a monthly standing charge is because we are paying for the power connection when not in Spain rather than just for what we use as we are only there for approximately 4 months per year.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2013 5:50 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Yes, you would be charged a connection and disconnection fee each time and they'd probably still charge you for the meter rental as well. I don't know the costs but, judging what we paid initially, just one connection and disconnection would cost far more than the standing charge if you are on the correct tariff with an ICP. I think it was around €90 for connection but you should check onnthe Iberdrola website (it's in English). If you have the correct tariff (normally 5.75kw for a modern house) the standing charge should be around €126 a year including tax. One connection/disconnection would certainly be more than that.
When we coming here for 6 months a year, we still had to pay standing charges in UK when we weren't there. Remember, also, that your alarm system won't work if you are disconnected. (Unless you have a submarine sized bank of batteries).

Like 0      
09 Apr 2013 5:58 PM by lynndm Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi bobaol, thank you again for the advice and a prompt response!

Like 0      
09 Apr 2013 6:23 PM by Suntanneddude Star rating in Hertfordshire. 117 posts Send private message

Lynndm,

Standing charges help the suppliers keep their tariffs lower and also go to pay for the infrastructure as well. Either way they get it out of you !

SD 😎

Liars & cheats always get found out!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wanted - decent second-hand Road Bike (i.e racer not mountain bike) - 2 posts
Switching our Spanish mortgage to a British one - 14 posts
Anyone installed a stairlift? - 2 posts
Ceiling Fans - 2 posts
5 million WOW - 2 posts
Babysitting - 0 posts
Spanish tax holoiday home and residence status - 4 posts
Here we go again - 2 posts
Puppy Vaccionations - 1 posts
Puppy Vacanations - 2 posts
car transport company reneged on deal - 44 posts
Ryanair - Alicante warning! - 5 posts
HPA - 3 posts
Could this be a good time to take over an existing business in Spain? - Discuss - 14 posts
IBI calculations - 7 posts
Do you need to be resident to work in spain - 29 posts
Nearest hospital please??? - 2 posts
yahoo mail problems - 3 posts
Some People - 1 posts
PLEASE HELP, WHAT FORM DO I NEED? - 2 posts
Transport to UK From Spain and Back from UK to Spain and Man with van - 1 posts
permission to move!! - 2 posts
Return of deposits from Aifos in 2003 - 33 posts
Car Rental Malaga Airport, Hire Full of Fuel, Return Full - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 42

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x