UK registered cars in Uk with Spanish insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Dec 2015 12:09 AM by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

07 Dec 2015 9:27 AM by dantis Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Spanish car insurance is better than the UK equivalent because not only do you get full cover including breakdown throughout the EU but is for any driver over 25, cars are insured in Spain not people as they are in the UK.

Having said that the premiums are higher and there are no really cheap companies, I have comprehensive on my Spanish registered Ford Tourneo Connect 1.8 TDCi for 425€ whilst I also have comprehensive on an American 2.7 V6 convertible registered and insured in the UK for £180.

Good to see links to actual accurate information as well.

This message was last edited by dantis on 07/12/2015.

Like 0      
07 Dec 2015 10:18 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

@mariedev. I made a point of saying in my post that the automatic EU-wide cover was only for 3rd party. Much of your post referred to comrehensive cover which is entirely different. As @longlegpete has pointed out, the EU directive is unambiguous and UK insurance companies would be aware of it.

@longlegpete "With the Saga policy it only covers you while you are in the same country as the car."

I'm generally in the same country as the car I'm driving.

I have over the years had Spanish and UK insurance policies and have had occasion to need assistance from both. UK insurance is always straightforward and matters are sorted out in minutes. My one time dealing with the Spanish insurer was the nightmare come true that I had always feared ..... like simultaneously dealing with Movistar, Iberdrola  & a Spanish bank. Very, very complicated, lots and lots of paperwork, endless broken promises and lies. Perhaps I was unlucky...it was just that I aways had misgivings that it would be....exactly like it turned out.

Like 0      
07 Dec 2015 11:04 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

@GuyT

No, I was trying to point out the 90 day rule that UK companies insist on. For example: From the Aviva site

This can be upgraded for an additional annual premium to give you the same cover as you have in the UK for travel within the following countries, for 6 months in any one period of insurance and no more than 90 days for any one trip.

From the Admiral site: Your International Motor Insurance Certificate will cover you for a maximum of 30 consecutive days in any one trip up to a maximum of 90 days in any one year

From the Axa site: If your car is insured with AXA (and you received a quote for your policy on or after 26/11/2014) then you can drive your car throughout the European Union for up to 90 days during the policy year. 

From the AA car insurance site: But if you have an AA Comprehensive Car Insurance policy, you will benefit from fully comprehensive cover for up to 90 days – one of the most generous provisions in the market.

I only mentioned the 3rd party to fully comp to show the difference between UK and Spain. It was the bit about using any EU insurance to drive in Europe for as long as you like that I was querying. and there are many more links like those. In fact, there are far more with time restrictions than there are without.

And, a few years ago, we tried to up the time period with Axa to four months but they wouldn't budge and muttered something about residency requirements if you're out of the country for more than 3 months. Probably a load of horse manure but they would not go above 90 days like virtually every UK car insurance company.

And, just to top it off, this from a site called Money Maxim

• Admiral - Policies automatically includes a FREE International Motor Insurance Certificate for a maximum of 30 consecutive days in any one trip up to a maximum of 90 days in a year.
  • Budget - car insurance policies provides EU cover for up to 60 days - normally can be extended by calling the company.
  • Diamond - Policies automatically includes a FREE International Motor Insurance Certificate for a maximum of 30 consecutive days in any one trip up to a maximum of 90 days in a year.
  • Endsleigh - includes cover in EU for up to 90 days.
  • Elephant - includes cover in EU for up to 90 days.

The only company they say offers over 90 days in one go for over 50s is Saga.

If you can link to any other UK insurance company, regardless of EU rules (which say insurance is valid but doesn't specify a time limit, just "any company offering this service") then please let us know. I imagine it will be quite difficult to find one and, if you do, they will definitely be in the minority.

Like 0      
07 Dec 2015 11:12 PM by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

@GuyT, I'm generally in the same country as the car I'm driving.

Yes I'm sure you generally are but it's worth pointing out to people that think they can insurance a UK car in Spain with Saga and fly back and forth to use it as and when they want!

Like 1      
08 Dec 2015 10:21 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

A few clauses from EU directive 2009/103

I agree with Mariedav -  it seems UK insurance companies are not fully in compliance

(24)

All compulsory motor insurance policies should cover the entire territory of the Community.

(25)

Some insurance undertakings insert into insurance policies clauses to the effect that the contract will be cancelled if the vehicle remains outside the Member State of registration for longer than a specified period. This practice is in conflict with the principle set out in this Directive, according to which compulsory motor insurance should cover, on the basis of a single premium, the entire territory of the Community. It should therefore be specified that the insurance cover is to remain valid during the whole term of the contract, irrespective of whether the vehicle remains in another Member State for a particular period, without prejudice to the obligations under Member States’ national legislation with respect to the registration of vehicles.

(26)

In the interests of the party insured, every insurance policy should guarantee for a single premium, in each Member State, the cover required by its law or the cover required by the law of the Member State where the vehicle is normally based, when that cover is higher.

You can read the full directive here

Like 0      
08 Dec 2015 12:13 PM by DemonLee Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Guys, this is a general response to all the replies - nice to see that although it was an old thread, my comment was picked up and you have all come back with information on your experiences.

Breaking the Law - I have no issue with reporting people to the authorities when I feel it appropriate, If I can find time to check legislation in any country and comply with it, I see no reason for others to flagrantly break it and as a Journalist, sometimes I 'out' them in the Press, other times the information is handed to the relevant Authorities for them to investigate and take appropriate action if the information I have given is correct.

Insurance and the EU Directives - The PROBLEM with this is that in order for ANY EU Based Insurance Company, offering Insurance to cover UK Registered Cars, they have to have a UK Registered Office or an Association with a British Insurer so that the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) in the UK has your details correctly recorded on the Database for the Police to check you are covered... you can go to the MIB website (Google 'Ask MID')  to find out if your UK Registered Car has Insurance Cover available to the Police.

I use Liberty Seguros as they are the ONLY Spanish Company I have found that fully complies with the EU Directive because they are an International Company and have representation via their UK Business and you can verify this by going to this website page they have (In English) Google ( 'Liberty Seguros Expatriates Freedom Service') as I cannot post weblinks apparently..!!!

Now, if UK registered Insurance Companies are too lazy to create EU Associations, this is why their European Cover is so restrictive as they CANNOT comply with the EU Directive.

UK Licences in Spain - Firstly, if you are using a Non Photocard Licence in Spain, this became invalid in the EU from 19 January 2013 as any licence valid for more than 10yrs and no photo card does not comply with EU Legislation on EU Driving Licences.

Secondly, if you have MOVED to Spain, you are supposed to 'Register' your UK Licence with the Authorities, this is NOT the same as Exchanging it for a Spanish Licence. However as pointed out, if you return to drive in the UK the Licence is INVALID and Liable for Penalties for carrying the incorrect Residential Address and it is for this reason your SHOULD simply transfer over to a Spanish Licence even if it still has a valid date on it.

You cannot pick and choose which parts of which Legislation you want to abide by, the Law is the Law, it is there to protect the innocent and to prosecute the guilty.  With the move in 2016 for the UK DVLA to hand over details to the EU Member States to trace Speeding Motorists for penalties, points etc. and the same for parking fines, you will left with nowhere to hide, because if your UK Address is on your licence and you no longer live there, the DVLA can SUSPEND or CANCEL your licence and when you do go to renew it with a Spanish one, you will find you are driving without a licence and could have to take a spanish test in order to get a new Licence.  This would mean you would be unable to get a Certificate from the DVLA about other groups of vehicles you may be licenced to drive as well.

In addition, if your UK Licence is suspended or cancelled and you had an accident, your Insurance would also be void and this could be a very costly mistake, especially if you or anyone else is injured in the accident, your fault or not!

In Gernany, there is NO REQUIREMENT to ever change your UK Licence to a Germal Licence, however, the UK Authorities will NOT issue a UK Licence with an overseas address so you might as well change it to a German Licence on renewal, its very straighforward.

For me to get around some of these issues, I hold a full UK Licence for Groups AM/A/B1/B/C1/D1/BE/C1E/D1E/f/k/l/n/p/g

A German Licence for Groups AM/A/B1/B/C1/D1/BE/C1E/D1E
A Spanish Licence for Groups AM/A/B1/B/C1/D1/BE/C1E/D1E

By taking the 'Local Driving' Tests, it means I can use any of the three licences on the EU Continent, my plan is to take the French Driving Test in the next year or so when I get time to study their Highway Code...!

Like 0      
08 Dec 2015 2:19 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

DemonLee

However as pointed out, if you return to drive in the UK the Licence is INVALID and Liable for Penalties for carrying the incorrect Residential Address and it is for this reason your SHOULD simply transfer over to a Spanish Licence even if it still has a valid date on it

This is not correct your licence to drive a car in these circumstances is VALID (in UK, EU or any other country that accepts UK licences) but you will be commiting an offfence if you drive in the UK which carries a fine for having an incorrect address on your DL (or not informing the DVLA of an address change).NO disqualification or penalty points

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Abandoned Cars in Estepona - 5 posts
Is now a good time to move?! - 14 posts
Property Repossessions - 3 posts
Ryanair... Pot calling Kettle... - 3 posts
HAPPY BIRTDAY JUSTIN - 1 posts
Orange Fuengirola - 4 posts
Wifi - 16 posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUSTIN - 4 posts
Wedding music bands - 0 posts
buying bank repos in Murcia - 49 posts
capitol of spain - 6 posts
State of the art wireless alarm system - South Costa Blanca - 2 posts
Inheritance Tax - resident in Spain - estate in the UK - 1 posts
Renault Megane convertible RHD hard top 05 plate - 0 posts
What are the personal resident tax free allowances ? - 5 posts
Flights to Costa Blanca from Leeds, Liverpool or Manchester any good deals for Summer? - 5 posts
are you selling up? furniture/ white goods needed i have just bought a place in Algorfa - 0 posts
urbanisation rights - 2 posts
where can I get my driving license? - 0 posts
Need some help - 4 posts
Las Lagunas, Los Montesinos - 0 posts
moving to Javea Feb 2012 - 0 posts
Hi, does anyone have a view on these repos, €65k + taxes, 90% morgage available, we're close to signing up for a penthouse - 5 posts
Hi, looking for advice, KeyMare Veranda repo sales - 24 posts
Looking for long term property rentals - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 88

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x