UK registered cars in Uk with Spanish insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Apr 2012 3:19 PM by Delaluzian Star rating in Portugal. 33 posts Send private message

Seems to me forums like this need people like me otherwise where would people like you find the opportunity to vent their spleen? Grow up and as the other chap said get out more. He 's convinced me, I have now unsubscribed from this thread as I lknow what to do and have a life!

Like 0      
06 Apr 2012 8:12 PM by bergspyder Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

Hey Delauzian (& the rest), don't unsubscribe. I think these (lively) posts are positive. You have something to say so say it. Surely that is what forums are for? Not for personal insults e.g. disc or disk which depends on whether you're from the UK or not but surely all English speakers understand that? What does worry me -- as in several EOS posts & costs me a lot -- is in which country you car should be registered (taxed, insured, ITV) if you don't spend more than 3 months in one country? My lawyer is speaking with the Guardia Civil but it isn't clear. Like guns, registered in one EU country but not in Spain & the Guardia Civil says must be registered in Spain but to do that, one must take an examination in Spanish (and translators aren't accepted). Surely the answer is that Spain is Spanish and they decide? In the meantime, I budget for the fines........ Come on guys, lets share experience not insult each other+

Like 0      
06 Apr 2012 8:14 PM by bergspyder Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

Hey Delauzian (& the rest), don't unsubscribe. I think these (lively) posts are positive. You have something to say so say it. Surely that is what forums are for? Not for personal insults e.g. disc or disk which depends on whether you're from the UK or not but surely all English speakers understand that? What does worry me -- as in several EOS posts & costs me a lot -- is in which country you car should be registered (taxed, insured, ITV) if you don't spend more than 3 months in one country? My lawyer is speaking with the Guardia Civil but it isn't clear. Like guns, registered in one EU country but not in Spain & the Guardia Civil says must be registered in Spain but to do that, one must take an examination in Spanish (and translators aren't accepted). Surely the answer is that Spain is Spanish and they decide? In the meantime, I budget for the fines........ Come on guys, lets share experience not insult each other+

Like 0      
06 Apr 2012 8:46 PM by dantis Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

I think you are missing the point, people come to these forums for verfiable accurate information not 'hearsay', there are so many assumptions and misaprehensions on these boards that it is becoming increasingly difficult to discover correct information.

One such point would be to say that the spelling of disc/disk is dependant on whether or not you are from the UK, which is total rubbish, there is only one spelling of disc as in a circular shape and that is disc!  The confusion arrises in the context of computer media, disc refers to optical media and disk refers to magnetic media, which is a totally different subject.

All I am saying is that before making comments on blogs and forums make sure your information is correct and accurate.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2012 9:27 PM by bergspyder Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

I often miss the point, I agree, but on disc/disk I think you should be corrected: In US English (300 million people) it is disk. Only in UK English (60 million?) is it disc. And since the WW1 the internatioinal diplomatic language is US English. Ergo only the Brits use disc. I have no problem with that but most Brits know it. Please be assured this is no insult+

Like 0      
06 Apr 2012 10:01 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

What this has to do with registering cars in UK or Spain I don't know.  However, I thought I'd jump in with my pennyworth as we appear to have disc and disk contoversy (kontroversy?)

UK used to use the spelling disk way back when, 16th century etc.  It morphed into disc a lot later on.

The word nowadays used as disk refers to magnetic media storage courtesy of IBM.  The term compact disc (with a c) and digital versatile disc (again with a c) is also used in the USA courtesy of Phillips, Sony, Toshiba etc. .  Every shop I went into in the States had a Compact Disc section, not a Compact Disk section (unless you went into a store where people also sold banana's and potato's or made similar spelling errors).  Disk is used in the States for computer disks, not CDs etc as it is in the Far East and other countries including UK.  Shops in Japan and Hong Kong advertise Compact Discs for sale.  

As the thread concentrated on getting a tax disc from UK, the c is obviously correct.  Americans would use windscreen ( or windshield) sticker.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2012 10:36 PM by bergspyder Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

I see your point & appreciate the humor but didn't realize EOS posts were limited to Britrs living in Spain. UK cars have a problem --- the wheel's on the "wrong" side -- but that isn't the case for (other) EU countries or the US so it makes sense -- surely? -- that RHD cars need "extra formalities"? I have one here and it -- and/or me -- is a danger. But lets agree this exchange is positive to be built on?+

Like 0      
07 Apr 2012 3:27 AM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

seems the problem is few can speaka de ingleesh any more

let alone de spaneesh

Like 0      
07 Apr 2012 8:37 AM by midasgold Star rating in Mijas.. 93 posts Send private message

What color is your disk?

Is it the same colour as my disc ?

Who cares ? - don't.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2012 1:49 PM by bergspyder Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

Enjoyed your posts, midasgold & stillgoin, and in my view you're right. Life's too short -- and good, at least for me -- to be bitter on what really doesn't matter. Hope to read more posts like these.......... 

Like 0      
13 May 2014 3:36 PM by aliajackson Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello

I Have seen this lot here in Uk, But the  think is , is that  right ???

I have been working on this from couple of days. one more thing i would like to tell you, it is very necessary if you are in other country, Once i got accident and called some car recovery london service, they cured me, repaired my car and all. In this all fact I came to know one thing that we should be aware of those things....

Thanks

Like 0      
13 May 2014 4:47 PM by blueeyes Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Gosh, I know the NHS is in a bit of a pickle, but I didn't realise they had started to outsource to garage companies!

Like 0      
05 Dec 2015 9:59 PM by DemonLee Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I'm sorry but most of the comments made on this thread, although somewhat old now are nonsense.

I am a UK and International Registered Photo Journalist and have for years driven all over the European Continent.  I have a home in the UK where my Business and Taxation is handled, a home in Germany and one in Spain.
My cars are ALWAYS UK purchased and registered, the MOT's are carried out in the UK.  However, my Insurance is purchased in Spain via Liberty Seguros (Mojacar) and the reason for this is that where UK Insurance will charge you an additional premium for European Cover of only 60-90 days, my Spanish Policies permit me UNLIMITED Travel in any EU Member State and as I could spend up to 9 months at a time floating around the EU with frequents small trips back to Blighty, I have NEVER been stopped by Police in the UK because my car has set off an ANPR Camera in a Police Car, when I have been stopped by French, Spanish, German or Italian Police, I carry my UK Licence, my UK Vehicle Registration Documents and my Spanish Vehicle Insurance Documents - never had a problem with any EU Country in 30 years.

A lot of problems are created by people that LIVE in Spain for more than 6 months a year, do not have their vehicles re-registered after the 6 month requirement, have not changed their licence to a Spanish one in flagrant abuse of the system.  This is the argument people in the UK make against EU people living and working in the UK, its hypocritical... I know people that have lived in Spain for over 20yrs, can't speak a word of the language, work without paying any tax, shoot back to the UK to use the NHS, which they are NOT entitled to if having lived outside the UK over 3 years.... I could go on, but my main point is, if you COMPLY with the LOCAL and the EU/UK Legislation, you will never fall foul of the Law.

Like 3      
06 Dec 2015 11:24 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

DenonLee - a very old threda but a good post. However part of the probelm is people too often in their hypocrisy will not inform the authorites of these wrong doers

I know people that have lived in Spain for over 20yrs, etc............

If you know people are commiting these crimes then I beleive you have a moral obligation to help the under resourced  police/authorities etc.  by reporting them - at the end of the day it is honest tax payers who are being ripped off by these.

We have discussed this on here before and sadly many people do not like to snitch or to grass like they are still in the school playground and beleive it is the job of others to catch these crooks without help from the public

A thief is a thief and the longer people sit back turn a blind eye etc these crooks will contine to get away with it and cost us all

Like 0      
06 Dec 2015 12:19 PM by midasgold Star rating in Mijas.. 93 posts Send private message

Ref - My previous post re car ins.

The problem is not what the law is BUT how it is interpreted  by the officer. Often

he may be local police ( parking warden with gun )appointed by the  mayor.  

Like 0      
06 Dec 2015 12:42 PM by dantis Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

DemonLee

Once again the problem here is misinformation, your post is mostly correct, however, you do not have to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish one until it expires, in fact the DGT web site has covered this, albeit in Spanish obviously, with instructions on how to 'register' your UK licence with your local Trafico department. EU law states that all EU licences are valid in all EU Member States until expiry irrespective of the country of residence, this is why all EU licences are virtually identical.

Like 1      
06 Dec 2015 1:03 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

dantis

you are corrcet but please be aware that if you return to the UK say for a holiday and drive on a UK licence with an invalid address on it (i.e.one you are NOT residing at) you are commiting an offence in the UK and could be fined up to £1000 if stopped and checks made by police

Like 0      
06 Dec 2015 9:54 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Any EU issued car insurance policy is valid to drive anywhere in EU for as long as you like. That is to say it fulfils legal requirements of what in UK is known as third party cover. Saga, for one,  provide unlimited comprehensive cover for as long as you like anywhere in EU at no extra cost, ie, it's part of their normal comprehensive cover.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2015 11:08 PM by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

With the Saga policy it only covers you while you are in the same country as the car.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2015 11:34 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

GuyT - Any EU issued car insurance policy is valid to drive anywhere in EU for as long as you like

Then somebody needs to tell the UK insurance companies. When I was with Axa, the policy stated I had to inform them when I was going abroad. The cover would drop to 3rd party only for a maximum of 90 days in the year of the policy. I could pay extra to retain the fully comp but they wouldn't go over 90 days.

Aviva (who took over Norwich Union) website says it will drop to 3rd party unless you pay extra and you can use it for 6 months in the year but no one trip can be for more than 90 days.

This is money states: Those that include comprehensive cover abroad as standard include AA, Admiral, Endsleigh and Marks & Spencer. All offer a maximum of 90 days' a year. If you're going further afield than the EU, check which other countries are included as they often include Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and even Iceland.

Conversely my Spanish insurance covers me fully comp in any EU country (inc UK) on fully comp for as long as I like. It even continues with breakdown cover and, if within 50 km of the Spanish border, will deliver a courtesy car and collect my car.
I know it's been quoted on here that EU rules state.....etc etc. Maybe the UK insurance companies haven't had the EU briefing.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Abandoned Cars in Estepona - 5 posts
Is now a good time to move?! - 14 posts
Property Repossessions - 3 posts
Ryanair... Pot calling Kettle... - 3 posts
HAPPY BIRTDAY JUSTIN - 1 posts
Orange Fuengirola - 4 posts
Wifi - 16 posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUSTIN - 4 posts
Wedding music bands - 0 posts
buying bank repos in Murcia - 49 posts
capitol of spain - 6 posts
State of the art wireless alarm system - South Costa Blanca - 2 posts
Inheritance Tax - resident in Spain - estate in the UK - 1 posts
Renault Megane convertible RHD hard top 05 plate - 0 posts
What are the personal resident tax free allowances ? - 5 posts
Flights to Costa Blanca from Leeds, Liverpool or Manchester any good deals for Summer? - 5 posts
are you selling up? furniture/ white goods needed i have just bought a place in Algorfa - 0 posts
urbanisation rights - 2 posts
where can I get my driving license? - 0 posts
Need some help - 4 posts
Las Lagunas, Los Montesinos - 0 posts
moving to Javea Feb 2012 - 0 posts
Hi, does anyone have a view on these repos, €65k + taxes, 90% morgage available, we're close to signing up for a penthouse - 5 posts
Hi, looking for advice, KeyMare Veranda repo sales - 24 posts
Looking for long term property rentals - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 88

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x