RE registration oo EU Citizens Registry

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This is a letter I have just sent to a couple of newspapers.

'Residencia' beware

Spanish law dictates: All EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. Upon registration you will be issued with a certificate printed on green paper. (NB This is not a valid form of ID but does prove your NIE).

I have confirmed with the Agencia Tributaria (The Spanish Tax Office) that a person so registered is thereby tax resident in Spain and thus must make tax returns on their worldwide income and assets. Any non-resident bank accounts will be frozen and any other duties or obligations of a resident will apply. This probably includes not being able to drive a non-Spanish registered vehicle, worldwide inheritance tax, etc. but the non-resident Foreign Owner Property Tax does not apply.

The registration may be cancelled by attending the office where it was issued, with your original passport and a copy, and completing an application form (in duplicate). If you have registered and are leaving Spain not to cancel the registration would mean you continue to be tax resident. I am not sure what liability one would still have for the period for which they were tax resident.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2011 9:15 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Johnnx

Good posting but your letter is headed Residencia beware - does that mean you are warning people of the decision to apply for residencia or that they should consider the implications?

Like 0      
25 Oct 2011 10:21 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Faro

I parenthesised Residencia, as it is debatable whether `Residencia' still exists. Some say it is now just 'Registration.'

It came as a surprise to me that one is 'tax resident' as soon as they obtain the Certificate of Registration.

I have sent an email to the British Embassy requesting that they investigate the situation. It seems to me ridiculous that a visitor, who does not intend to settle in Spain, is obliged to become tax resident. If I get a meaningful reply, I will post it.

Whilst I would not suggest that a person who intends to stay for 3 months should not comply with the Spanish law, I wanted to inform them of the problems which arise by doing so. I am fairly confident that most people, like myself, did not know that was so.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Plastic bags for airport - 9 posts
Is there a Web site with Historical Weather Stats - 0 posts
Three free legal guides by CostaLuz - 0 posts
Return to the UK? Never - 0 posts
outdoor dog kennel wanted - 0 posts
Marriage in Gibraltar?? - 4 posts
FLASH FLOODS FINESTRAT - 1 posts
Hailstorm in Baza . - 0 posts
Are you glad you bought your holiday home.....or do you regret it? - 17 posts
Hi - 2 posts
Legal tip 619. Letter from CostaLuz. Number 2 - 0 posts
Online Shopping: Ring Sizes? - 2 posts
Valor Catastral Increase 2010 - 6 posts
Vetting Lawyers - How do I know I can trust them? - 12 posts
Post repossession woes - 3 posts
new internattional golf course to be built in province of cordoba - 1 posts
Van with space going back to UK - 0 posts
Private House clearance sale.... Grab a bargain! - 0 posts
The cheapest funeral plan going! - 26 posts
Bank Charges - 8 posts
Spain's Stolen Babies - BBC 2 tonight at 9pm - 8 posts
Hola Expats - 0 posts
Looking for long term rental in Los Alcazares-Campoamor area(or anywhere near the sea) - 3 posts
DVD recorder not compatible with Sky box - 5 posts
yoigo pay as you go? - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x