SLEEPLESS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

I wish I could sleep, but tonight I am suffering badly with restless leg syndrome. I wish I could cut off my legs

Like 0      
13 Oct 2011 9:46 AM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

I only started suffering with this when I was prescribed tablets for high blood pressure! Unfortunately, it's one of the side effects. If it's not t baood, I find that wearing my flight socks works...the pressure of the socks on the calves stops too much blood flowing into the legs and most times the symptoms are so reduced (if not completely) that I fall asleep. I usually take the socks off when I wake to turn over later on. If you can, this always stops the symptoms..ie: lift your legs straight up towards the ceilling and let the blood flow out of them.  You have to hold your legs up for a few minutes and I usually do this until I can actually feel the veins in my legs twitching. Another thing I do (which not everyone can) is to lie on my stomach and lift my legs up into as straight a position as I can...which is only from the knee upwards, of course. Most times, I can fall asleep like this and then I turn into my usual sleeping position in my sleep.  If none of this works, it's the usual getting up and walking up and downstairs (or around the house if no stairs) to get the blood pumping round my whole body and not just settling into my legs.....which is what happens when we lie down for a while or sit on the settee for hours at night.

I hope this helps.  I really feel for you as I know how awful it can be when you're very tired and you can't sleep because you have to keep moving your bloomin' legs!  Try the flight socks first...it's the easiest one to do...t

Mag

Like 0      
13 Oct 2011 10:19 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

As a fellow sufferer you obviously understand! I eventually got to sleep sometime after 3am, having taken another Ropinirol tablet (that made 3mgs last night!). I´ve suffered with this for years and years but some nights it´s much worse than others and I do get desperate. I´ll try the flight socks idea though - as you know, you´ll try anything for some relief.

I was wandering around the garden at 2am

Irene

Like 0      
13 Oct 2011 11:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I'd never heard of "restless leg syndrome" before today.

I can however empathise in a way...

For many years now I have suffered with a bad back and some nights I just can't get comfortable.  Every position makes something throb, ache or sends a shooting pain down my leg.  Eventually I fall apleep from total fatigue and then wake up in the morning feeling like I'd been partying all night and in a right mood!

Touch wood I've been more or less ok over the past couple of months!

Hope you get a better nights sleep tonight.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
13 Oct 2011 2:28 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi Irene and Alan,

my husband suffers from this condition and when it

starts he takes  ORFIDAL WYETH 1 mg TABLETS,

he gets them prescribed by his doctor here in spain

as we are resident as I know you both are. (my

friend and I were in the town hall when you and alan

married in formentera). within about 30 minutes they

stop the jumpy feeling. hope this helps.

1mg

coolyes

Like 0      
13 Oct 2011 10:27 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi

I´ll check them out at the farmacia. Do they have any side-effects? Ropinirole side-effects are sleepiness, but at bedtime that is just what I need!!

Lord the wedding seems like an eternity away. Great day though!

Irene

Like 0      
14 Oct 2011 10:16 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi Irene,

my hubby has been taking them for a couple of years now

and he has had no side effects at all

let me know how you get on with them. you may have to get them

on prescription from the doctor

coolyes

Like 0      
14 Oct 2011 10:30 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Thanks.

A doctor here told me there was a better drug than Ropinirole and he prescribed it, but before I filled the prescription I looked it up on the net and the side effects were possibly high blood pressure, headaches, sickness, dizziness and worse of all they could be addictive!!! I tore the prescription up straight away. I always check out reports on drugs before I take them because last year I was given medication for plantar faciitis which ended up with me in anaphalactic shock.

Irene

Like 0      
14 Oct 2011 10:42 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Regarding side effects.

If you look up almost any medicine on the net (or in Blacks Medical Directory) almost always there is a long list of side effects, however, in probably almost all cases they are not a problem. If they were the medication would have been withdrawn as no one would use it.

(some of the ) Side Effects of Aspirin -
Aspirin
Heartburn; nausea; upset stomach..Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black or bloody stools; confusion; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; hearing loss; ringing in the ears; severe or persistent stomach pain; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; shallow or very slow breathing; tremors; unusual bruising or bleeding; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; wheezing.Blurred vision; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; heartburn; lightheadedness; nausea; upset stomachconfusion; diarrhea; difficulty swallowing; excessive drowsiness; hearing loss; hoarseness; mood or mental changes; ringing in the ears; shortness of breath; sweating.

Like 0      
14 Oct 2011 10:44 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi Irene,

that must have been awful for you.

the tablets my hubby takes are quinine

based like what you get in tonic water

coolyes

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Biggest Idiot On The Planet - 12 posts
What has gone wrong with the Bono? - 11 posts
Property Insurance - 4 posts
Yamaha FX160HO Cruiser Jet Ski for sale - 1 posts
can anyone help us - 1 posts
Life in Spain - 4 posts
TRAVEL HELP PLEASE - 3 posts
Non Resident Tax - 4 posts
Communities and free range dogs - 9 posts
Flies, Damned Flies! - 7 posts
Justin! Where Are You? - 4 posts
WAITING TIMES FOR AN OPERATION IN SPAIN - 4 posts
Party lines in Spain, or just crossed?? - 1 posts
Why so tolerant of noise - 11 posts
Another great holiday over - 3 posts
New spanish in the forum - 9 posts
How long to swap UK licence for Spanish one? - 21 posts
Setting up as a Taxi Driver - 3 posts
watch football in spain - 0 posts
BAG A BARGAIN? - 3 posts
Getting married in Rojales - 0 posts
Leather Chairs - 2 posts
2011 Peugeot Partner Premium HDi90 - 0 posts
What documents should a new tenant show? - 0 posts
Without administrator - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x