Communities and free range dogs

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by derek55 Star rating in Carsares Costa---Bir.... 51 posts Send private message

We are a relatively small gated community,  We have one or two owners who have a paranoia about dogs being allowed to run free and shit everywhere.  I agree that its not a nice situation to be faced with dog shit on the grass, but I maintain it is the owners not the dogs that should be more responsible and control and clear up after their dogs  and respectful to their neighbours.
As president I bear the brunt of this complaining, saying we should fine the offender, report them to the Guarda amongst other suggestions.
Other than banning pets altogether has anyone out there any suggestions as to a solution to this very emotive subject

Like 0      
11 Oct 2011 11:07 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hi Derek

It's definitely the owners which are at fault, not the poor dogs. 

In a community we lived on a few years back there was a huge garden area but dogs were not allowed to roam around it.

Unfortunately because so many owners can't or simply don't control their dogs, every community should ban dogs from private communal areas in communities.  They can walk the dogs outside of the community if they want but not inside.  There's no need for it really.

We see many owners let their dogs walk themselves around the communities and this is a health hazarad not just in the poo they leave everywhere but also that a dog could attack a child or someone and the consequences for the community (and the person attacked!!) could be huge.

Just ban them!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
11 Oct 2011 11:38 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

I agree with Justin, ban them from the communal areas, there is no need for the animals to be there.  If owners are too lazy to take their dogs out than they should get rid of them.

Joan

Like 0      
11 Oct 2011 12:29 PM by juandos Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

What penalties would you impose and how would you inforce the ban?

Our community has a problem where non residents visit theUrbanisation just to exercise their dog(s). Or just to dispose of their unwanted pet!!

Then there are the feral dogs and cats that visit to feed from the waste containers.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2011 1:04 PM by jmtwsm Star rating in Sabinillas CDS. 191 posts Send private message

jmtwsm´s avatar

I live in a community where there are lots of dog owners and never a hint of a problem.

A full set of community rules is posted at the entrance, in every portal and in all the lifts.

People have to walk through the gardens to get outside the community, but all dogs are on leads and any accidents are cleared immediately by the owner.     There is no problem whatsoever with dogs, it is ignorant, stupid people that cause the problems.

And as for noisy kids........no......don't get me started !!!!!

Like 0      
11 Oct 2011 1:08 PM by cannylad Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Hi, I wrote to EOS last year to find out the legalities of banning any further dogs from being allowed in the community. As long as its voted in at the AGM this is acceptableand legal.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2011 3:32 PM by derek55 Star rating in Carsares Costa---Bir.... 51 posts Send private message

Thanks to you all for your comments, if I read correctly we can make rules and add clauses to our statutes.
Could this include a penalty fine if a dog is seen causing a nuisance? 
Three offences and the dog would be excluded from the development

As a responsible dog owner I could not sanction an out right ban, but could we enforce a ban on any new dogs and cats for that matter

Thanks again for taking the time to comment

Like 0      
11 Oct 2011 6:59 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Derek, the community can vote for changes to the rules of the community no problem.

But I don't think you could say "no new cats and dogs".  The same rule has to apply to everyone.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
11 Oct 2011 11:41 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Justin is right, your Community can ban pets from Communal areas but cannot ban pets from other areas and it must be voted by majority at a properly conviened meeting.

You would be in trouble if you banned 'new' owners from keeping pets and also if you banned tenents from having pets as this would upset human rights ( we have been through this in our Comm and took Maria Castro's advice ).

You could put fines etc in place but who is going to police this and how will you get the fine from some outraged person who will not see it your way?

Hard situation to be sure, but get the Communal area ban first then stick up rules re cleaning up after your pets. It is more difficult if the public have access to your Urb but you could have signs etc.

Good Luck.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
11 Oct 2011 11:46 PM by georgeh Star rating in condado de alhama sp.... 1462 posts Send private message

As i am not korean i personally prefer free range eggs to free range dogs.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Flies, Damned Flies! - 7 posts
Justin! Where Are You? - 4 posts
WAITING TIMES FOR AN OPERATION IN SPAIN - 4 posts
Party lines in Spain, or just crossed?? - 1 posts
Why so tolerant of noise - 11 posts
Another great holiday over - 3 posts
New spanish in the forum - 9 posts
How long to swap UK licence for Spanish one? - 21 posts
Setting up as a Taxi Driver - 3 posts
watch football in spain - 0 posts
BAG A BARGAIN? - 3 posts
Getting married in Rojales - 0 posts
Leather Chairs - 2 posts
2011 Peugeot Partner Premium HDi90 - 0 posts
What documents should a new tenant show? - 0 posts
Without administrator - 12 posts
New Camera Bag. Kata DC441 - 0 posts
Granada - 5 posts
Primark Malaga - 0 posts
SUNFLOWER SEED OIL CAPSULES - 0 posts
Reduced Winter rate -Long Term Rental in beautiful Andalucia - 0 posts
Looking for a hotel in or near marbella - family room - 0 posts
Free to good home: German Shepherd - 0 posts
The World vs Wall Street - 1 posts
Summer School job - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x