UK or Spanish Driving Licence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This question comes up from time to time. 

Remember if you have moved to Spain then you cannot legally renew a UK DL as you must resident in UK. 

However, it is relatively straightforward to change your   valid   UK DL for a Spanish  one. 

If you allow it to lapse, you have a problem:  You can't renew it in UK and can't exchange it for a Spanish one.  The only answer then maybe that you will need to take a Spanish driving test, a lengthy proceedure,  during which time you will not be able to drive and it's expensive.

So get down to Traffico and get a Spanish one.

Possible Advantages:-

A driving licence is not a legal ID (for Brits only a valid Residencia or your original passport are) however, in most circumstances a Spanish DL will be accepted as Formal ID as it bears your photo and your NIE,  although not your address.

Also if you get stopped by the police a Spanish DL is readily understood and I believe it is more likely you will be treated as a 'local' than if you produce a foreign DL.

Like 0      
03 Sep 2011 8:00 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

"A driving licence is not a legal ID (for Brits only a valid Residencia or your original passport are) however, in most circumstances a Spanish DL will be accepted as Formal ID as it bears your photo and your NIE,  although not your address."

A Spanish driving licence is a legal means of Identification.

The Spanish law states " National identity card from the holders original country, Passport or a Spanish driving licence " is required to be carried for ID purposes.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
04 Sep 2011 10:04 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I don't wish to argue with you as this forum is to assist people but I suggest you ask say  a notary if he/she will accept a DL when you making a legal document 

I have been present when DLs have been refused and the people have had to go and get their Passport. but you may be right !

However, in raising this off the thread point, I do hope you have not averted attention from the very important object of the thread,  about the need to ensure your DL remains valid.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/09/2011.

Like 0      
04 Sep 2011 11:03 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I have produced a non Spanish driving licence to a magistrate as valid ID when I did not have a valid passport. It was accepted. When asked about other ID I said I did not have any valid ID which at the time was the truth as my passport had expired and I had posted it off to have renewed which serves as a warning not to let a passport expire whilst in a foreign country (took 2+ months to get a new passport!!!).

But  back on topic what exactly is the procedure for converting a UK driving licence to a Spanish driving  licence and is there a fee involved and do you need to take Spanish medical driving test etc. If relevent this is for a Spanish national fully resident in Spain but who has always driven on a UK driving licence.

Like 0      
04 Sep 2011 3:39 PM by chris 2477 Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

Having recently transfered my UK driving licence to a Spanish licence i can tell you the procedure and costs.....

1.Paperwork required.... Uk driver licence, plastic card with indate photo, paper part of licence, residencia, passport, 2 passport size photos.

2.Medical. cost- 40 euros.this can be done at your local medical centre.

3. visit your traffico office where you part with another 26 euros. There is a form to be filled in at traffico.

4.your UK licence is then taken off you and after about 2 weeks your Spanish driving licence arrives by post.

not sure of the procedure if the photo part of your driving licence has expired.

Everyone has to have the medical regardless of age. ( blood pressure,eye test, eye/hand co-ordination test)

Like 0      
05 Sep 2011 7:12 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Thanks - that will make the task somewhat easier.

The only problem will be finding a parking space at traffico!

Like 0      
20 Sep 2011 9:34 AM by niclavida Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Very useful information here. Thanks all!

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 1:05 PM by NICO2009 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi everyone.

Regarding exchanging licences, here's my tale,

Visited Traffico in Murcia last week where I was hoping to exchange my Channel Island driving licence for a Spanish one.

I believed I had all the necessary paperwork but was promptly told that a photocopy of Residencia was not acceptable as it could be a forgery. Even though i had my driving licence with photo and passport to ascertain my identity.

Then I was told that Spain does not recognise the Channel Islands as being a part of EU and that exchanging the drivig licence was not possible.

They should i should sign up at a local driving school and begin the process as if i had never had a driving licence before.

Annoyed but accepting that they know the law, I left. However having contacted the Channel Islands I have been told that for Driving Licence renewals and exchanges the channel islands signed the agreement with the UK and all EU countries and that exchanging a C.I. licence should be acceptable and treated as if it was a mainland UK licence.

I have sent this information to Traffico and am awaiting a response - But doubt they will be flexible enough to alter their view.

Will llet you know what occurs and would be pleased to hear from anyone wiith a similar experience.

Regards

Nick (Murcia)

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 1:43 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nico.

Sorry to hear the problems you had and I hope they will be resolved soon.

Everyone should be aware that the original of any document MUST be produced, copies are not acceptable (but before people tell their copies have been accepted, I know it happens but LEGALLY it must be the original).  As we know copies can so easily be faked or altered.

Just one point Nico, you said your 'Residencia'. Did you mean your Cert of Registration as an EU citizen ?   

Since April 2007 Residencias are only issued to Non EU citizens. 

The Reg Cert is NOT a LEGAL ID, even the original. So, unless you still have a Residencia which is valid you must produce your original Passport, it is the only legal ID Brits have.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 1:51 PM by NICO2009 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi John

thanks for the reply.

Regarding Residencia, yes I have the Cert. of Registration as you say.

I realise originals are necessary although here in spain it is possible to get anything on the black market, including false paperwork, licences and passports!

I have all the necessary paperwork ready but still no reply from Traffico.

I may just go and re-apply and hope that when Traffico send the paperwork to Madrid - as they told me would happen - that Madrid have better knowledge of the legal requirements and exchange my driving licence.

I will let you know.

Thanks once again.

Nick

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 2:51 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

Yes we have a woman here with a jersey licence who was told the same the year before last . She took & passed at the 3rd attempt her spanish driving test. At the age of 69 !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 3:16 PM by NICO2009 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks for the reply.

I may be stubborn but I refuse to give up on this as I am assured it is Traffico that have made the error, not I.

They simply cannot be bothered to check and prefer to make a foreigners life a misery rather than help out by checking some facts.

Nothing new I am sad to say.

I like Spain, have lived here many years and my partner is Spanish but their attitude often stinks!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Any advice on the Nerja/Almunecar area - 10 posts
obtaining a spanish driving licence - 18 posts
Childrens' Car Seats - 1 posts
Is there an answer - 1 posts
Betamax Video Recorder - 0 posts
Good News —Titleist 712 Series Irons - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
spanish lessons - 22 posts
TV....... - 11 posts
Polymorphic light eruption - 0 posts
Furniture Pack for sale - 0 posts
P J's rent a car Alicante - 3 posts
Can you recommend a Gestor in Seville ? - 0 posts
empdonamiento - 8 posts
WANTED unfurnished 2/3 bed for long term rent - 4 posts
VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED TO HELP LAY CONCRETE - 0 posts
To Mr or Ms Mod - 0 posts
Forum help...er help! - 6 posts
is there a Spanish 0845 equiv - 3 posts
EXCERCISE BICYCLE - 0 posts
Spanish domain name - 2 posts
Eye on my villa! - 8 posts
No furniture and no refund - 7 posts
Sales Consultants required for immediate start - 0 posts
Child friendly - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x