All Spanish Should Learn To Speak Fluent English

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

I was watching spanish TV and Zapatero (president or king or boss of spain or something) was on Tv saying in spanish to an audience how all spanish people should be learning english and it was critical these days to know it fluently.

So an english reporter in the audience said to Zapatero. "how good is your english?"

To which he replied " No Hables Englais" (spanish for, i do not speak english)

To which the audience laughed rather a lot.

I didnt see anymore because i was rolling on the floor pissing myself laughing.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2011 7:55 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

It should because it is an international language; more widely (widely I say) than any other language. It beats Esperanto hands down. My mother tongue is I am afraid yet another more or less dead language - Gaelic

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
11 Aug 2011 11:56 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hopefully when Zippy does get around to learning English, someone will teach him to capitallize where appropriate.

Meanwhile, the Spanish for "I do not speak English" is actually "no hablo inglés".

(People in glass houses......)

Mike, look on the bright side - at least nobody is bastardising your mother tongue on public forums. Or speaking it wot like these rioters is, man. Init?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
11 Aug 2011 12:17 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

What an absolutely marvellous and original idea!!

Like 0      
11 Aug 2011 9:53 PM by casalinda Star rating in Las Alpujarras. 54 posts Send private message

Cuando en Roma etc - in other words,  if you choose to live here then make an effort to learn the language.   It's part of the joy of a foreign country and its culture.  If not, go home!  Business/communications worldwide is another matter entirely and may end up being in English...or Chinese!

Like 0      
11 Aug 2011 10:15 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Hear hear, Casalinda. 

Like 0      
11 Aug 2011 10:41 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

When I was thinking of living in Spain, full time, the first thing that I did was to learn Spanish - otherwise you don't really get to know what is going on around you!  This has certainly come in handy when travelling to some parts of Spain off the tourist trail.  When Spanish people come to England do they expect the English to speak in to them in Spanish???????

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 8:46 AM by eljefe Star rating in Torrevieja. 15 posts Send private message

eljefe´s avatar

Has anyone been to Gibralter? Have you heard the locals their talking? They speak Spanglish ! Half their sentance is in Spanish and ended in English , it's brillient. I speak Spanish after 23 years here I should, but after visiting Gibralter I am enjoying my new found language of Spanglish. 

Also have you noticed that Colombian Spanish is easier to understand than Spanish Spanish. They throw in English words all the time into their sentances.

So my message to all is if you have a little Spanish jsut speak as much as you know and when you get stuck just throw in a few english words. I am sure you will be understood as 90% of Spanish understand English from the movies they watch and the music they listen too. 

So I think Spanglish is the way forward. So does Wikipedia by the way!

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 3:49 PM by casalinda Star rating in Las Alpujarras. 54 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Please respect terms of posting **

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 4:46 PM by eljefe Star rating in Torrevieja. 15 posts Send private message

eljefe´s avatar

If I wanted a Spellchecker I would have used the button. I speak how I speak, I don't need some retired teacher correcting my spelling ta! I write how I speak with an accent. 

Do something useful and leave me alone!

This message was last edited by eljefe on 12/08/2011.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 7:21 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

@casalinda: you must understand, just as Colombians speak some rare dialect of Spanish, so do the Torreviejans write a modified version of English.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 11:44 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Shame the english can no longer speak a di ingleeeeesh

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 1:26 AM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

that's not fare. Before I went to university I couldn't even spell enginere. Now I are one.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 10:56 AM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Tank yoo fultond me alwees fort it was spelt ingineere

i finks now me bee a berra persun

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 7:54 PM by Monica 77 Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Hi Big Willy,

how to you translate your name in Spanish as I'm keen to learn the language. 

Slan go foil

go raibh maith agat (from this dead language)

Monica

This message was last edited by Monica 77 on 13/08/2011.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 8:23 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Big  willy is Pitulon

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 8:59 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Tee hee, Janie.

Willy is thinking of standing for office in the Spanish local elections, so I did give him a couple of names he might use on his posters.  He hasn't got back to me about them yet. 

This is a refined forum  so I can't really put up any other names to suit.

Patricia

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 9:05 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

He could try Pajero note this is not pajaro (bird) but i reckon would be a good name for anyhone in politics

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 10:30 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

ROFL Janie.

Now where did a nice girl like you learn that stuff....

P

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 12:02 AM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Sorry but when you speak a language fluently it is obligatory to learn it all and I know a lot worse hehe and you did ask and it would be rude to not answer. Anyway dont you think Pitulon Pajero has a catchy ring to it.,

Then Pitulon Huevon has a good sound to it.

When in his campaign 'campagna' play on words campana he would have something to ring out loud and that with which to ring it OUCH

By the way did you know Mitsubishi launched a car  in spain called Pajero and wondered why they could not sell it in spain

then of course there was the Opal Nova didnt sell well either lol

This message was last edited by janie2003 on 14/08/2011.

This message was last edited by janie2003 on 14/08/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

ITV Homes From Hell - 9 August 2011 - 33 posts
schools in rojales or quesada for 5 years old - 4 posts
Big light show 11-13th August - 4 posts
Thinking of coming back out soon for a week with my kids ? - 0 posts
Disco Equipment for sale - 0 posts
Security for vacant properties - 2 posts
Supermarket Purchases - 12 posts
Have you seen the UK news - 36 posts
Afghan Heroes Dinner and Ball - 0 posts
Mercedes SLK 230 Car Swop or Sale - 2 posts
new business - 0 posts
Wind! - 6 posts
Hi, I'm Daniel. I need some help with fitting out our summer Villa in Torrevieja, - 6 posts
Is it obligatory in Spain to have house insurance for tenants??? - 4 posts
What's happened to Richie Allen from Talk Radio Europe - 6 posts
Airport ground staff strike action 18th & 26th August. - 16 posts
Can anyone help me please no deeds for 7 years. - 5 posts
Spaced Out! - 9 posts
English Speaking Spanish Lawyer - 1 posts
Whats the effects in Laymans terms for Holiday Home owners if it all goes Pete Tong? - 1 posts
Positive news for Santander customers in difficulty - 0 posts
DRIVING WITH 5 DOGS FROM UK TO SPAIN - 12 posts
The Phantom Properties for Long Term Rent - 4 posts
problem with apartment electric oven - 9 posts
Hi to all! - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x