Bed and Breakfast License

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by Elizabeth Jane Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi

We are looking to buy a licensed country property with separate accommodation that we can rent out either on a bed and breakfast or self catering basis that is within easy reach of Malaga (about 30 minutes drive) Unfortunately we have yet to find the right property but one agent told us that most such business operate in Andalucía without a license anyway so we could just convert a property ourselves.

I’m not sure that is a particularly good idea but does anybody know what are the regulations such as square meters required etc  so that we could apply for a license if we bought an unregistered property?

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 7:42 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

There is a whole Decree for the regulation of this type of businesses in Andalucía:

DECRETO 20/2002, de 29 de enero, de Turismo en el Medio Rural y Turismo activo

We will be writing a serie of articles on this, starting this week. 

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 06/04/2011.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 10:57 AM by Elizabeth Jane Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thank you so much.

Can't wait to read the articles - I'm sure they will be very helpful as is most of the information on this website!

Like 0      
20 Jul 2011 12:30 PM by Sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Sneezey´s avatar

It's not difficult to register a house as a bed and breakfast with the Junta de Andalucia. There are no minimum requirements with regards square metres etc.. Therefore you can buy a normal property (without a Licence) and then apply for it. The group Marbella Solicitors can assist you with the application and aquisition of the licences from their office in Malaga, through the Junta de Andalucia (Regional Government Office) Their standard fee for this type of process is 800 euros plus 18% VAT

Like 0      
20 Jul 2011 1:31 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Business tip 6. How to set a rural bed and breakfast in Spain 
09 March 2010 @ 07:37 

Transforming a house in a rural tourism house.

Rural tourism is a consolidated activity in Spain. A Bed and Breakfast Rural house, is a sort of hostel in a typical village and family atmosphere that welcomes tourists and provides accommodation at convenient prices. 

The work required to enable a building to serve a a rural tourism accommodation is simple, if the house is in good conditions.The administrative formalities are reduced to the submission of certain documentation at City Hall and in the Tourism department of the corresponding autonomous region.

However, before opening a rural tourism business, a number of matters need to be addressed:

1.- Financial and economic study on the rehabilitation of the property.
 2.- The seasonal character of the business, which causes the occupation is not constant, but focused mainly on short holiday periods like Easter, Christmas and certain long weekends (puentes). 
 3.- Not  every rural house can be used as a rural tourism house . Along with the requirements of each Autonomous Community themselves,  it is important to take into account environmental conditions, the contiguity of natural parks, winter resorts, coastal areas....
 4.-Cultural attractions, or access to activities of active tourism, can help to achieve a more lasting occupation during the year and  are critical to the profitability of the business. 

In general terms, with differences due to regional laws, a tourism rural house must have:

1.- Running water.

2.- Electricity, either by traditional or alternative ways whish secure the adequate supply of electricity, meeting the security measures required by REBT (Low Voltage Electrotechnical Regulations).

3.- One bathroom for every five seats.

4.- Medicine cabinet

5.- Heating for bedrooms and bathroom.

6.- Dining room 

7.- Lounge for guests use 

8.- A fire extinguisher on each floor. 

Bedrooms can be single, double or triple, they must have enough room to ensure guests' comfort. Thebathroom needs to at least be equipped with  water seal toilet, sink and shower or bath. The house needs to have good lighting and direct ventilation to the outside or an uncovered patio  and have a decor in keeping with the surroundings. It will at least have a living-room with adequate furniture and a kitchen with stove, refrigerator and washing machine. 

It is generally located in a small town, of  usually less than three thousand inhabitants or in an undeveloped area of larger municipalities.The architecture of the house must respect the characteristics of traditional architecture of the region. It will be convenient that the house is open a minimum number of months a year, usually nine. July, August and September are communly mandatory. 

Tourist services for the exclusive use of guests can be offered and also the gastronomy if you chose to have it, must respect the peculiarities of the area. 

One of the major drawbacks of rural tourism in Spain, is the lack of control over the lodgings. This causes the existence of illegal establishments that do not meet the required conditions and worsen the image of this type of tourism.

By Jesús Castro
www.costaluzlawyers.es

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
03 Oct 2012 12:15 AM by peterharpert Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi,

Reading through the posts above I saw the remark that, for a property to qualify for a Casa Rural, it has to be a detached house. Is the correct? The house I'm looking at has 1 house to the left and 1 house to the right. It's a group of three houses. Would that be a problem?

Also, how long does it usually take to get an opening license for this type of business?

If the property doesn't qualify for a Casa Rural, what are the other options. Is self catering the only other option or can you simply run a B&B that is not a Casa Rural?

I have also read somewhere that there is a limitation to the amount of people that can stay at a B&B. Is that correct?

Do you need a seperate license to provide food to your guests at dinner?

Any help on any of these questions would be much appreciated. 

Kind regards,

Peter

Like 0      
29 Jan 2013 11:25 AM by BedBreakfastValencia Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Advertising - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 29/01/2013.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2013 3:20 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Regulations for rural houses vary from region to region. So you need to check at your specific autonomous community

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Jan 2017 8:44 PM by Suswsmith Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Peterharpert did you find the answers to your questions? Im trying to find out if a licence is required if you want to serve dinner in a B&B. Im guessing a licence is required for the breakfast anyway? So could you also serve dinner? 

Like 0      
23 Jan 2017 12:46 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Suswsmith:

What is your region?

M

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
29 Jan 2017 9:25 AM by Aytch Star rating in Valencia Region. 7 posts Send private message

Aytch´s avatar

My husband and I have purchased a rural house with what we think are facilities to run a bed and breakfast. We are near Xàtiva in the Valencia Region.

We have visited a lawyer who has advised us we could get set up legally, however the costs are quite steep and before committing money we are trying to locate a list of requirements - we cannot find anything.

What we don't want to do is start paying for legal advice without knowing if the project is viable?

Can anyone advise us if such a list of requirements / needs exists?

Thank you

Like 0      
29 Jan 2017 10:47 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

The requirements to run a Casa Rural Bed and Breakfast in the Comunidad Valenciana are regulated in a Decree that can be found in this website:

http://www.dogv.gva.es/portal/ficha_disposicion_pc.jsp?sig=009694/2014&L=1

It is in Spanish.  I could not find an English translation.  Hope this helps you.

Like 2      
29 Jan 2017 10:56 AM by Aytch Star rating in Valencia Region. 7 posts Send private message

Aytch´s avatar

Thank you, I will take a look 

Like 0      
29 Jan 2017 11:05 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Aytch

As a suggestion why not check in to a similar bed and breakfast (or visit a few) and have face to face chat with the owners.

Good luck

Like 1      
29 Jan 2017 11:56 AM by Aytch Star rating in Valencia Region. 7 posts Send private message

Aytch´s avatar

Thank you, we do intend to do that - unfortunately many b&b's are not registered and therefore illegal. We didn't really want to go that route.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2017 12:06 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

A good guide or rule of thumb to spot the illegals is if they only deal in cash

Like 1      
29 Jan 2017 1:12 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Can't speak for Valencia but down here in Malaga the biggest hurdle people find is getting some sort of habitation licence for a rural house! without this there is little chance of a tourist letting licence. Other than this it's just a matter of getting the house to the required standard. Oh! and of course paperwork, lots of paperwork!

Lobins link should provide you with the detailed requiremets 

Like 1      
30 Jan 2017 10:53 AM by Aytch Star rating in Valencia Region. 7 posts Send private message

Aytch´s avatar

I just wanted to thank you for all the responses. I have been trying for ages to get some information and it wasn't until I posted on here that I got anything. It has been really helpful, if somewhat daunting to read how tricky it is to do this legally. Our friends who just list on a booking website think we are nuts to even try and register. 

First hurdles - we have no habitation licence, nor do we have a landline!

Onwards and upwards 😳

Like 0      
30 Jan 2017 3:08 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Aytch

Good luck and please keep us informed on how you get on

Like 1      
03 Feb 2017 9:21 AM by Aytch Star rating in Valencia Region. 7 posts Send private message

Aytch´s avatar

Well, it would appear I have been stopped dead in my tracks at the first hurdle. I've been told I must have a landline telephone and I don't. I've contacted my satellite internet provider - they don't offer that service.....

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

car hire reus airport - 1 posts
changing house insurance - advice/information required please. - 8 posts
Searching for long term rental villa. - 2 posts
Driving London to Malaga via Eurotunnel - 9 posts
Can this be done? - 8 posts
MOTORHOME WANTED - 3 posts
Dart 18 beach catamaran - 2 posts
Hello - 1 posts
UNPAID COMMUNITY FEES - 3 posts
VIALLI´S RESTAURANT PLAYA FLAMENCA VIA PARK 1 - 1 posts
Help with legal forms in Spanish - 4 posts
will there be an embargo on my car - 2 posts
Any One Got A Van Travelling To Murcia Region from UK With Any Room? - 2 posts
O'Hara's Fuengirola - 0 posts
Nurseries on Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Wanted Stone Barbeque with chimney - 6 posts
Anyone know of a decent taxi shuttle service in Palma, mallorca? - 0 posts
Airport transfers - 4 posts
places to eat in Cartagena - 4 posts
Ford Puma 1.7, Black, San Javier area! - 1 posts
Register to vote (new window) - 13 posts
Repairs - 1 posts
Getting Replacement Car Documents - 6 posts
BLISS ^_^ - 1 posts
New Consumer Protection Laws - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x