Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Register to Vote (a final window)
Tuesday 29 March 2011 - 06:53:54
FOREIGN residents wishing to vote in Spain's municipal elections on May 22 have another week to register themselves on the electoral census.
The Spanish Institute of National Statistics (INE) has confirmed that residents will be able to apply to vote between Monday 4 and Monday 11 April.
Residents interested in voting must have already registered with their local town hall and have been on the padrón, the municipal register, before January 31 2011.
Those on the municipal register who have not yet applied to vote must fill out a 'Reclamacion al censo' form at their local town hall and present it with original and current photographic identification.

Like 0      
02 Apr 2011 11:14 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I think many despair at the futility of voting. All we seem do is elect what David Steel MP (then) correctly described as rotating dictatorships. He pinched that I think from a quip made my George Bernard Shaw in the thirties. As one character said: 'Don't vote: It only encourages them.' One only has to read the 'correspondents' columns in the conservative Daily Mail to see the despair at having voted for the present regime.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
03 Apr 2011 1:11 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

As in Britain so in Spain...

It really doesnt matter who you vote for at the end of the day you still wind up with a politician...

3 quotes...

"Politicians are like seagulls. They arrive from out of nowhere in a fluster, squawking, sticking their beaks in.... crapping all over everything and then flying off leaving a mess."

"Politicians are like nappies / daipers...They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

Billy Connolly: 'Anyone who wants to be a politician should be automatically barred from being one.'

I will however make one exception; The PSOE unfortunately won't go for it but... how about some young blood at the top...

Carme Chacon for Prime Minister...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
03 Apr 2011 11:31 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
03 Apr 2011 5:31 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

All the more reason for citizens to collectively strive for a system of accountability and transparency from their leaders, no matter what political party is in power, with effective consumer rights that remain independent of political interference.

The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.    Plato

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems.       Ghandi

Like 0      
03 Apr 2011 7:57 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

ads...quote

All the more reason for citizens to collectively strive for a system of accountability and transparency from their leaders, no matter what political party is in power, with effective consumer rights that remain independent of political interference.

Somewhat tongue in cheek I have to ask...

What...like they do in the UK??????

The situation in the UK has deteriorated to such an extent since the Thatcher regime that it really is a case of...

"Meet the new boss... same as the old boss."

Just my opinion of course; I despise all politicians. Only ever had time for one and that was David Penhaligon and he's a long time dead.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
03 Apr 2011 8:47 PM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

I too despise politicians, except as you do foxbat, for one, that it was grudgingly admitted, was right in most respects:- Enoch Powell, rest his soul.

pilgrim

Like 0      
03 Apr 2011 9:17 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

All politicians of all persuasions, wherever, should be made accountable. This isn't a competition about who is the worst!

As for transparency, just one of the reasons quoted for registering on the padron has been described as this:

But you also must know that depending on the number of individuals registered in the Town Hall, we receive from the Junta de Andalucia and the Government the economical support.

Your presence is important for everyone; depending on this are: our schools, our health centres,  our streets, hospitals, Police Stations, Courts of Justice and much more.

Fair enough BUT....the question to ask however is how transparent are those allocations of monies? Where is it actually spent? What proportion benefits the community as opposed to self interested parties (salaries of officials etc) How effective are the courts of justice, the police, etc. Are details available for review by the general public or reported on an annual basis? etc etc you know the sort of thing......... Until the "powers that be" are made accountable and the system becomes more transparent then the abuse that exists in Spain (the EU, wherever) will never be resolved.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2011 9:25 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

If this doesn't shock you nothing will. I am researching an article: Look at these findings:

Only 6 percent of the European Union’s electorate say they have a great deal of trust in their government. 46 percent say they have little trust whilst a third say they have no trust at all in their political elite. Less than one in ten (9%) think their politicians act with honesty and integrity.

Still wondering why most of us refuse to give credence to a bunch of self-serving unrepresentative discredited crooks? Taking part in the charade only lends it legitimacy.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2011 9:42 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

What's your solution for Spain and the EU Mike?

This message was last edited by ads on 03/04/2011.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2011 10:15 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

The Party: A new party called the Party of National Representatives (PNR). This unique national party allows each constituency’s electorate (not a constituency party) to put forward several popular candidates.  

The Right Person: They must demonstrate community standing and experience. Naturally they must set out their stall on key issues; foreign policy, economics, crime and punishment, education, workers employment rights, social security related issue, governance etc.

A Democrat: Each of these candidates sells himself on a ticket of competence, appropriateness, integrity; their preparedness to reflect the views of the community. In other words be a true democrat by voting in parliament not as his party or conscience dictates but how his constituency’s electorate demands he should vote.

Accountable: To provide a constituency referenda system of accountability in the event of a petition of a set percentage demanding their replacement by the second choice candidate. In short, in the event of considerable dissatisfaction to explain to the constituency’s electorate why they are best for the position as Member of Parliament.

Removable: Once a candidate is chosen they would be subject to electoral 6-monthly re-thinks. If a petition is raised by disappointed electors (percentage to be decided) a constituency re-election is called and the candidate who has disappointed is required to pitch against the runner up candidate.The successful candidate would have no choice but to abide by their election pledges or be ousted. If ousted their pension is reduced by 50 percent. They would be truly representative of majority opinion.

It is called democracy. In fact it finds its roots in Greek democracy; a concept that has since been hijacked and abused by political dictators.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2011 1:30 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

This would probably result in chaotic selfish disorder as each constituency would probably only look to its own self interests and be unwilling to take difficult decisions relating to the whole country. Isn’t this exactly the situation in Spain as local town halls do their own thing, bowing to self interested parties within the community with little regard to the laws of the land?

Like 0      
04 Apr 2011 7:43 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

No, local area representation would be complementary to it; separate issues. Basically it is government by referenda or plebiscite; Most governments don't like it for obvious reasons. Hungary however is introducing it.

It is easy to pick theoretical holes in anything. You asked my solution; there it is. Carry on with the present discredited regime and it is Carry on up the Kyber   ...   or are we already up it? Definately time for regime change; Britain's. But, I have work to do. Discourse is the preserve of the retired.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2011 10:11 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

I do understand the frustration Mike. I think it's what we all feel right now. But thanks for your take on things.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Repairs - 1 posts
Getting Replacement Car Documents - 6 posts
BLISS ^_^ - 1 posts
New Consumer Protection Laws - 3 posts
If it is raining or you are bored: Legal podcasts - 0 posts
Printing Prices (Spain) - 13 posts
Insurance companies - who is responsible? - 4 posts
Jewellery Repairs - 3 posts
dangerous dogs in Andalucia - 12 posts
For sale Ford Puma, Black, San Javier area! - 0 posts
Housing Benefit for pensioners in Spain - 1 posts
Signwriters - 0 posts
Green Power Sucks! - 2 posts
LONG TERM RENT CAMPOSOL - 0 posts
RE/MAX and lettings management - 0 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL WANTED - 1 posts
Certificate of good conduct ! - 2 posts
Name and Shame Bad Tenants - 6 posts
Bars in Fuengirola showing cricket? - 0 posts
Confirmed: Buyers deposits for Herrada del Tollo, San Jose covered by generic guarantee policy - 5 posts
ATESA SPAIN - 1 posts
Valor Catastral,IBI Payments - 1 posts
Huercal Overa - flies & pig farms - 16 posts
Double Gates for sale - 2 posts
Lost Your Deposit!!! - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x