Middle Brow Lifestyle (on the Sol)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

As a couple we are moving to the Costa del Sol in a month or so, from the Costa Blanca. One of the reasons is the perceived quality of life. We are into classical; opera, orchestral; quality music, entertainment. Not high brow, middle brow. Basically we are about accessing a social circle and opportunities superior to what we have here. Expectations can be pretty low on the southern Costa Blanca though north of Alicante has a plethora of quality entertainment opportunities.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 10:35 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

As a couple we are moving to the Costa del Sol in a month or so, from the Costa Blanca. One of the reasons is the perceived quality of life. We are into classical; opera, orchestral; quality music, entertainment. Not high brow, middle brow. Basically we are about accessing a social circle and opportunities superior to what we have here. Expectations can be pretty low on the southern Costa Blanca though north of Alicante has a plethora of quality entertainment opportunities.

Sorry we didn't live up to your high expectations.  I hope the superior class of people you meet on the Costa del Sol won't come away with the same opinion us low lifes on the Costa Blanca have of you.  Get any further up your own bum and your nose will stick out of your mouth.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 10:43 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

See what I mean? He makes my point better than I do.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 10:50 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Yes, m , massa, us Costa Blancarites knows our place, yess m, sir.  Scuse us fer not tuggin' our forelocks when you entered the room, us is jus iggerant no nuffinks, after all.  Now, with yer permission, of course, we will retire to our little hovel and would be ever so grateful if you could toss us that bone when you've finished wiv it.  Thank and all that, guvnor.

(Sorry, last I heard they didn't have a Harrods on the Costa del Sol, just Mercadonas and Carrefours like us hoi polloi have to put up with, when we aren't getting dragged through Lidl and Aldis etc.  Say hello to the National Opera Company when you is all dressed up in your finery)

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 10:53 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We live inland, but not that far from the Costa Blanca, and I am very surprised by Mike's comments. 

On Saturday night I went to our local theatre with two friends to watch the Joven Ballet Nazarina and listen to the Orquesta Sinfónica de Jumilla.  The first half was from the Nutcracker Suite and the second half included music from Cinema Paradiso. The men went for a couple of beers, as they aren't ballet fans, though they do come to the concerts. 

On Sunday we are all going to a concert in the theatre at 12.00 then to a free concert in the Iglesia de Santiago at 8pm (Réquiem de Mozart).  Over the next 4 months there is a varied programme in our theatre including music for Semana Santa, Hip-hop, Flamenco, classical music and dance. 

Just before Christmas a group of us took the bus into Murcia (so the drivers in our group could enjoy wine and tapas!) for La Luz en Navidad, a beautiful event that took place outside the cathedral, with pictures being projected onto the cathedral while opera singers performed for us.

We have also enjoyed concerts in Jumilla Castillo in the summer months, plus a variety of music in the bodegas including a concert by the local orchestra and a talented string quartet. 

There's no need to move to the Costa del Sol to enjoy good music!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 11:03 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Point taken, Sue. I live in Torrevieja, which has in fact a multiplicity of good theatres and a new concert hall that is one of the best in Europe. Here there are some great shows but, it isn't unusual to find only the first and second rows filled, with family. Maybe in my past life I was spoiled. The Royal Liverpool Phil' was just a walk away. 

But, I know the Sol almost as well as I know the Blanca.

Mijas Costa is compact, it has a cosmopolitan population. Each to their own. As one pundit put it: 'The difference between good music and bad? If you like it, it's good. If you don't; it is bad.' Sums it up really. Right, where's that dinner suit and party frock; let's rid it of the mothballs.  

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 2:43 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Mijas Costa... Cosmopolitan!?!?!?!?

It's about as Cosmopolitan as Aunties Bloomers!

Mijas itself is a wonderful, quintessential Andalucian village...

Where as Mijas Costa.... Feungirola, Riveria del Sol and Calahonda.... the later truly being 'Little Britain'.

There are more Brits in Calahonda than there are Spanish!

As for being compact, the Municipality of Mijas covers over 148 square kilometers!

Thankfully, Mijas Costa is where the bulk of the British beer swilling lager louts spend there holidays!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 10:03 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Thats typical of Mike Walsh talks a load of horse muck should get down to the Sol quickly and join the high life there.

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 10:28 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Well, Mr Pegman; seeing what your line of business is, and more to the point where it is located, you would rudely say that wouldn't you? No wonder estate agents have a bad image. You are trying to flog rural southern Costa Blanca. I suggest you learn Russian as over half the non-Spanish buyers there are Russian. 

I seem to recall the area very much featuring in the British news media; dodgy homes I think! The only culture where you're selling can be  found in a carton of yoghurt. I have lived and worked (extensively) in both the Sol and the Blanca for over twelve years; I still do. I cover both areas. I will make up my own mind.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 11:09 AM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

My don't they see the worm early and get hooked. Grow up  Mike and Pegman

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 1:23 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Where as Mijas Costa.... Feungirola, Riveria del Sol and Calahonda.... the later truly being 'Little Britain'.

And that's from someone living in La Duquesa!!  I don't think you can get any more Little Britain than Duquesa

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 1:44 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I know it's not my place, being a member of the riff raff from the Costa Blanca who only goes to entertainment venues if they have Match of the Day followed by karaoke, but aren't there many so-called "Little Britains" everywhere along the costas?  I must admit, Mijas Costa was quite nice but being approached by time-share salesmen every 10 yards did tend to spoil it.  The only entertainment we found in Fuengirola was a play put on by the local British amateur dramatic group (Me and My Girl, and very good it was too) or old time dancing in one of the hotels (we were in our fifties then and were the youngest couple in the hotel).  Of course, there's always Torremolinos, that epicentre of cultural activity.  

I think there's good and bad no matter where you are.  We find the Casa de Cultura in Guardamar is excellent and has quite a high turnout whenever we go.  Even the libraries in both Torrevieja and Guardamar tend to have excellent art exhibitions on a regular basis.  

Perhaps the OP should have engaged brain before fiddling fingers.  Either that or change his user name to Pretentious? Moi?

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 2:05 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Every place has it's good and bad points

BUT

Those living in Mijas Costa need to vote on Mike Walsh's residency application!

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 5:32 PM by stanleymiguel Star rating in Kensington London UK. 15 posts Send private message

Give me Little Britain over Midsommer Murders any day of the week

And Bob aol taking the p--s out of Black slavery now thats offensive

This message was last edited by stanleymiguel on 10/03/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

water charges - 0 posts
Petrol Prices! - 6 posts
Free Seminar on Health, Work & Pensions for Expats by the British Consulate Malaga - 0 posts
vista hermosa - 0 posts
The Weather! Has the Cat got your Tongues? - 12 posts
Property Rentals: I have a Cunning Plan - 5 posts
Baltic States: Flights - 8 posts
Teleast Digital - 12 posts
Moving to Spain with canaries - 1 posts
Not all Doom and Gloom - 6 posts
Food Poisoning - 12 posts
fiat brava for sale - 4 posts
Pancake day! - 4 posts
How to become non-resident in Spain - 3 posts
Wanted Urgent! Mijas Costa - Costa del Sol (beds, oven, washing machine.... etc) - 0 posts
Beware dealing with Lawyer who has Power of Attorney - 0 posts
Cement for sale €1.50 per bag - 1 posts
Model aircraft clubs - 12 posts
Breaking down in Spain - 5 posts
Using A Trailer in Spain - 4 posts
soccerschool Camposol area - 0 posts
Indian Restaurant - 0 posts
Spanish Immersion Language Schools. - 2 posts
RUN YOUR OWN ICE CREAM BUSINESS reduced for quick sale - 0 posts
Resident in Spain? Check your Spanish bank account status! - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x