Car Hire Question

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hello everyone,

I have hired and driven a car many times in Spain but I cannot for the life of me remember what documents the hirer requires when you pick up a car.

I will be sharing the car with my Brother-in-Law and we want to hire it for 3 weeks, the problem is that I arrive in Spain 1 week before him and so will be driving the car solo for a week, the 2nd week he flies out and we will be sharing the driving for a week, I then return home leaving him to drive the car solo for the 3rd week and return the car to the airport.

Do I just need his driving license to name him as the 2nd driver when I pick up the car or do I have to have both driving license and passport? obviously if I need his passport then this is a non starter.

Does he have to be present when the car is picked up, or can I just hand over his driving license?

Does anyone know how this might work in a different format e.g. hire the car at the airport and then go to a local office (or even the desk in the airport) when he arrives and add him as a driver?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kelju

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 9:30 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

From my experience, you just need the second driver's license. You as the hirer remain responsible for the vehicle until it is returned and it is your passport that they will want to see.

Mark

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 10:09 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks for the reply Mark, much appreciated.

Kelju

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 10:51 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I can confirm what Mark has said.  When I hire a car, I always put SWMBO on as an extra driver (just in case I break a leg or something).  She isn't even with me when I do it and I just take her driving licence with me (She waits by the arrival bit whilst I do the long trek across to the Econorent office as they don't charge for an extra driver).

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 11:14 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

We also had this situation on one occasion when hiring a car.

My sister travelled over & collected the car but the additional driver was arriving the next day.

We were given the option of my sister having the friend's driving licence with her on th eday that she collected the car or the alternative was that when the firend arrived the next day, we could go to the car hire desk & get her added on to the agreement. This would have worked as we were collecting her from the airport.

We took the option of having the driving licence with us on arrival & we didn't have any problems at all.

Noreen 

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 3:53 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks for the replies folks, I think I will just take along the Brother's driving license.

Kelju

Like 0      
08 Mar 2011 11:31 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

It will depend on the car hire company you use and how helpful the rep at airport wants to be.

I used to take my husbands driving licence and a copy of his passport, Record Car hire wanted to see the original passport so when I returned to airport to pick him up I would park in car hire car park and then have to get an amended document completed once he had arrived.  Needless to say I don't recommend this car hire company.

I changed over to Econorent and on the whole I found them better to use.  It did help that on one hire my husband did come out with me so his details were in the system.  After that they never wanted to see the licence and copy passport I carried with me each time.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2011 11:54 AM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

What? You wouldn't recommend them because they want everything to be legal? Strange!

Like 0      
08 Mar 2011 1:34 PM by sineadh Star rating in Passage West, Cork. 2 posts Send private message

When i booked my latest hire using PJs Rentacar, we were just asked to produce driving licence on arrival.  I have found this to be the case with most companies. In Ireland we only have a paper version but for UK i would bring both paper and card.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2011 1:46 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

LOL@Bobaol: "(She waits by the arrival bit whilst I do the long trek across to the Econorent office as they don't charge for an extra driver)."

Everytime we rented a car in Spain the second driver was added free, and all they wanted was the second driving license, as the main driver (yours truly) did all the singing, etc, blah!

Best thing is to contact the Hire firm and ask them!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The Black Bull Steakhouse and Bar, San Miguel de Salinas - 3 posts
Parking fine - 3 posts
Car Tax - change of address - 13 posts
Clean up politics in Spain - 3 posts
How To Prevent Comment Spam On EOS Blogs? - 0 posts
Chasing mortgage debt in the UK - 64 posts
HAPPY ST DAVIDS DAY - 13 posts
Parque Commercial Las Playas New Shopping Centre La Zenia/Playa Flamenca - 22 posts
Motorway speed limits coming down to 110 kph - 15 posts
wanted, dining table chairs - 1 posts
Who voted for or against? - 0 posts
RTA-Europe/ - 3 posts
I want to swap my Fiat Punto HGT (2002 Spanish reg, LHD) for UK plates RHD - 14 posts
Tourist Visa for Spain - 3 posts
Industrial paper shredder - 0 posts
LTSB/Halifax - forged documents - beware - 1 posts
For Sale. Double glazing for Fortuna terrace - 0 posts
Wanted - 5 Bedroom house in Barcelona area for client - 0 posts
Drivivng to Costa Del Sol with dog! - 4 posts
van coming to fuente alamo area from midlands - 0 posts
car insurance third party - 10 posts
edit - 2 posts
Mexican-style furniture Wanted- Almeria Province - 0 posts
builder's electricity - 9 posts
Andre Villa freestyle motor cross park - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x