Under 16s, pools and Andalucia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I know this has sort of been covered before, but for different areas of Spain. 

While at our urb last week, a notice has been placed on the entrance to the indoor swimming pool. It reads "Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. An under 16s found alone will be reported to social services".

A bit harsh I feel and I wonder if it is law in the Andalucia/ Almeria province, or if the President has taken it upon herself to make this rule. Looking through the AGM minutes, I can find no mention of it either. As I have placed on our community forum, this could potentially lead to a problem is one day my Son goes swimming and is reported as being under 16, next day is his birthday and is 16. So, one day irresponsible, next responsible!!

I know that there must be some sort of rules, but surely consultation of the owners should be made? I am just wondering about the legality of the ruling, considering the urb has been inhabited for 6 years and this has only appeared since at least October last year.

Thanks for any legal insight to this question.

Mark

Like 0      
26 Feb 2011 10:12 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

16 seems a bit high.  Our pool has the rule saying under 8 must be accompanied by a responsible adult over 16 and the responsible person must be in the water at the same time.

There are many sites which refer to "unaccompanied minors" in Spain but I haven't found one that says what age that should be.  There are some hotel ones which also state under 8 to be accompanied and a couple of UK swimming pool complexes that also say under 8.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 3:20 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thanks Bob. I thought 16 was a bit high and the social services reference was really out of order. Just hoping one of the resident lawyers may see this and be able to make a comment on its legality (and the fact it has been decided purely by the president).

Mark

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 3:41 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I think when I was president of our community we set the age as 12 and under to be accompanied by parents.

To be honest, the real reason that they have probably put 16 in place, and the social services threat, is to protect the community should anything happen to a child/ teenager in the pool.

At the end of the day it is the president that is liable should anything go wrong so the sign is there shoud anything happend the president can point to the sign and say "it's not my fault".

16 is too high though!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 4:48 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

So the President can just do this off their own back then? No need to put it to the community? Won't really affectme as next time my Son goes out he will be 16, but I know of a few residents whose children are cmpetent swimmers and use the pool on a regular basis, it will be difficult for them.

Mark

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 6:06 PM by spiritofspain Star rating in Riviera del Sol, Mij.... 114 posts Send private message

spiritofspain´s avatar

16 does seem rather high - especially as in Spain you are able to get married at 14 years old!!!!!!

This message was last edited by spiritofspain on 27/02/2011.

Margery

www.losarqueros.iowners.net  and www.calahondapark.iowners.net

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 9:42 PM by dartboy Star rating. 95 posts Send private message

sounds like someone just wants a quiet swim as with parents there children tend to be abit more aware of others and if they are not the parents usually tell them to calm down

Like 0      
01 Mar 2011 6:21 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

No one under 14 is allowed in our pool gardens without an adult (our community insurance states this, they're not to be given the pool gardens keys either) though it's abused regularly. I've even seen kids around 10 with much younger siblings there alone in the pool after their mum, who had been there, had left them & gone back to their villa, never to be seen again. The kids have obviously been prepped on what to say if asked about their ages as, when I asked the older one her age, she said 14. It was obvious she was years away from 14. I calmly told them that it is dangerous not to have their mum there in case they got into difficulties. I've pointed out our rules which are there for all to read & they left. How can parents care if they do this, talk about irresponsible.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2011 7:51 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

When in Spain has a notice ever made a bit of difference?

At the end of the day it's down to each parent to decide unless you are going to place guards on each entrance gate or house to make sure children do not come out to play.

This was covered last summer and everyone has their own view.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2011 7:59 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

It was covered last year I know, but for a different area of the Country. As Maria also said that different provinces have different rules, I asked about the province of Andalucia. I realise eveyone has a view, but I also did ask if it was a legal requirement which has been put into effect as a legality, or if it was just something the President has decided.

From the answers given, it would seem there are no legal grounds for banning under 16s without an adult being present, so will wait to see what happens with some of our more "loud" residents a bit later in the year. Could be interesting!

Mark

Like 0      
01 Mar 2011 8:13 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/pool-legals.aspx

We are preparing literature for all Spain for this summer.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
01 Mar 2011 8:35 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thank you Maria. I looked at your link, but all the Autonomous Community links default to a Telepiscina page . I assume the information was there originally, but they have now removed it for marketing purposes.

Mark

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 7:30 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Andalucia information is at the end of the boxes.

Here too:

Andalucía:

*Decree 23/1999 de 23 febrero 1999 Decreto 23/1999, de 23 de febrero, por el que se aprueba el Reglamento Sanitario de las Piscinas de Uso Colectivo. de 23 de febrero, on sanitary regulations for collective use pools.

*Resolution dated on the 17 June 2003, of the General Management of Public Health and Participation, for the updating of the parameters of the Annexe I of Decree 23/1999 de 23 febrero 1999 Decreto 23/1999, de 23 de febrero, por el que se aprueba el Reglamento Sanitario de las Piscinas de Uso Colectivo. de 23 de febrero, on sanitary regulations for collective use of pools. (BOJA nº 127 de 4-7-03)

CHARACTERISTICS OF THE VESSEL/CONTAINER

Depths
 For children pools: 0,20 to 0,40 m

For leisure pools: a minimum depth of 1,20 to 1,40 m
Bottom
Minimum slope of 2% and maximum of 10% for depths lower to 1,40 m .

Never higher to 35%.

The slope changes will be duly signalled for the user, as the minimum and maximums depths.
Overflowers
Compulsory for pools with a water surface higher to 300 m2 .
Skimmers
For pools smaller than 300 m2 of water surface, one every 25 m .
Beach
 1 m of Minimum width .
Access
Access items need to be of depth inferior to 0, 10 m and length not inferior to 2 m , with enough width for not being avoided.
Forbidden for indoor pools.
Steps
Minimum1 set of steps every 20 m or fraction of the pool’s perimeter.

CHANGING ROOMS AND OTHER PREMISES

Showers
The number of showers for the changing rooms is calculated depending on the size of the water surface.
 For indoor pools of up to 200m2 of water surface, 1 shower every 20 m2 . For pools bigger than 200 m2 of water surface this formula will be applied: 6 + (0,02xS) being S the water surface in m2.
For outdoor pools up to 420 m2 , 1 shower for every 30 m2 . For pools bigger than 420 m2 , this formula will be applied: 8+ (0,015xS) being S the water surface in m2.
First Aid posts
Every pool must have a First Aid Post with easy access. When the capacity is higher to 450 users, a sickbay is needed.
Technical premises/ machinery
 They will be placed at independent places, out of the public access and in the way determined by the applicable regulation to every case.

PHYSICAL/CHEMICAL TREATMENT OF THE WATER.

Recirculation timing
Paddle pools: 1 hour.
Vessel´s depth lower than 1, 40 m: 2 hours.
Vessel’s depth lower than 1, 40 m: 4 hours.
Cloudiness

pH
6,8 – 8
Free chlorine
0,4 – 1,5 ppm
Total chlorine

Lime

Brome

Silver

Iron
0,3 mg/l
Isocyanides acid
75 mg/l
Aluminium
<= 0,3 mg/l
Oxidazibility
< 4 mg 0/l
Ammonia
<= 0,5 mg/l
Nitrate
< 10 mg/l
Copper
0,3 mg/l

CONDITIONS FOR HEATED INDOOR POOLS

Water temperature

Air volume

Premise temperatura

2 ó 4ºC  higher than the water temperature
Humidity
Not higher to 80%

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 02/03/2011.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 8:33 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thank you Maria, much appreciated .

Mark

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 3:06 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

An interesting dilemma this one:

It seems that every different community has different rules when it comes to the use of pools.

However, I seem to remember that community rules (statutes) as defined and duly voted on during an AGM or EGM outweigh that of the law in Andalucia, providing it doesn't contravene the law in Andalucia.

E.g. What time the pool opens and closes

This also applies to the minimum legal age that a child may enter the pool area unattended!

The law seems to state that the minimum age a child is permitted to use a pool without individual adult accompaniment is over 6 years of age, however the community can vote and have it changed to 16 if they so wish, as this doesn't contravene the minimum legal age as described in Andalucian Law.

FYI:

Children''s pools are intended solely for the use of those that are aged 6 or under, and children must be attended by adults. Also these children's pools must be totally independent in such a way that they cannot gain access to other pools.

How many children's pools in Spain are in the same enclosure at the main pool?

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 02/03/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 5:57 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

However, I seem to remember that community rules (statutes) as defined and duly voted on during an AGM or EGM outweigh that of the law in Andalucia, providing it doesn't contravene the law in Andalucia.

Thanks Techno, this is the problem. It has not been voted on and I can see no reference to it in the minutes of the latest AGM, it certainly wasn't discussed last year.

Mark

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 6:21 PM by Stratico Star rating in Los Barrios. 10 posts Send private message

Is this the same for Private Villa renatls pools? are they supposed to be fenced off. Is there a necesity tyo provide life saving equipemt at a private pool etc?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mojacar Restaurants with Entertainment for Birthday Celebrations - 2 posts
Portofino Alcaidesa - 0 posts
Property management services - beware! - 0 posts
Community fee - Different question - 4 posts
New thread called "Vitamins in Spain" - especially for Mr Ackers! - 2 posts
A Spanish view of the Justice System in Spain - 1 posts
Take The Pedal Off The Metal - 3 posts
If you have some spare time - 0 posts
House for rent - 0 posts
Smoking in Corridors of Apartment Blocks - 6 posts
I'VE BEEN SPOOFED ! - 23 posts
Art Exhibition Castillo de la Duquesa Manilva - 0 posts
Wanted: Weight training equipment... - 2 posts
Here today gone tomorrow! - 5 posts
Can't find Hotels near motorways in Spain? - 17 posts
Public Liability Insurance for Building Company - 3 posts
BLUE MED PROPERTIES - 28 posts
internet in rental house - 3 posts
FOR SALE Callway golf clubs x14 pro series rifle shafts and ping putter and taylor made driver and more clubs and bags all for !!!30 euros!!! - 2 posts
Selling UK Registered Car In Spain - 9 posts
trish - 4 posts
Cedula's - anyone out there know about them? - 0 posts
Beer at 16 cents per can - 0 posts
Transport from UK required - 0 posts
Our fantastic UK MEP'S?? - 41 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x