Community fee - Different question

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by nerjaboy Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I have a property on an urbanisation where the community is a flat rate whether it is a house or an apartment.

I am thinking of buying the house next to me and knocking them into one. The council has given verbal approval, architect says no problems with everything, lawyer says everything easy. The only problem no one seems to be able to answer is if I will be liable for 1 or 2 community fees.

Does any one have experience with sitautions like this?

Many thanks

Like 0      
26 Feb 2011 1:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Will the resulting property be registered on one, new deed? If not, logically, you would be liable for two lots of community fees, but having said that, it's pretty unusual for all properties to pay a flat rate, rather than a percentage of the total budget as per the assessment quota on each deed (as per Horizontal Law). I wonder how legal that situation is? There would have to be a clause on the master deed of the urbanisation to that effect, otherwise the Horizontal Law would apply. Anyway, for you to only pay one fee on the resulting property, where two seperate fees have been paid until now for the two seperate properties, everyone else on the urbanisation would surely have to pay a little bit more to make up for the one lost fee - would they agree to that? I doubt it. If that was the case, theoretically, you could buy up all but one property on the urb, and just split the entire community's costs 50/50 with the poor sod who owns the one remaing apartment. Can't be right.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Feb 2011 1:39 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Personally I would say you are liable for 2 fees. The fees will be calculated on the amount of properties on the urb. If you purchased yours and one across the road, you would be liable for 2, so why would it be different because they are next to each other and you decide to make them one? Why is it you think the rest of the community will pick up the shortfall in fees caused by there being one less property?

Mark

Like 0      
26 Feb 2011 3:30 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

My neighbour was going to this when I lived in a flat.  He was going to knock his into mine and create one, large, upstairs apartment.

He then found he would have to pay two lots of community fees as the fees are calculated on the amount of properties.  The solicitor also told him he would have to pay two lots of IBI as well.  In addition, the water company informed him they would not remove one meter and he would have to pay the standing charges on two water accounts. He didn't bother with the electric company as had given up by then.

Looks like you would need to pay double for everything if you go ahead.

(Incidentally, someone I knew in UK was going to do the same thing.  The council said they would only charge one lot of council tax fees but it would almost double due to the extremely high council tax band he would put himself into - it would have gone from Band C at £1227 per year to Band G at £2301 a year.)

Like 0      
26 Feb 2011 3:36 PM by nerjaboy Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks for replies.   NO need for any more thanks I think I have the answer I need.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New thread called "Vitamins in Spain" - especially for Mr Ackers! - 2 posts
A Spanish view of the Justice System in Spain - 1 posts
Take The Pedal Off The Metal - 3 posts
If you have some spare time - 0 posts
House for rent - 0 posts
Smoking in Corridors of Apartment Blocks - 6 posts
I'VE BEEN SPOOFED ! - 23 posts
Art Exhibition Castillo de la Duquesa Manilva - 0 posts
Wanted: Weight training equipment... - 2 posts
Here today gone tomorrow! - 5 posts
Can't find Hotels near motorways in Spain? - 17 posts
Public Liability Insurance for Building Company - 3 posts
BLUE MED PROPERTIES - 28 posts
internet in rental house - 3 posts
FOR SALE Callway golf clubs x14 pro series rifle shafts and ping putter and taylor made driver and more clubs and bags all for !!!30 euros!!! - 2 posts
Selling UK Registered Car In Spain - 9 posts
trish - 4 posts
Cedula's - anyone out there know about them? - 0 posts
Beer at 16 cents per can - 0 posts
Transport from UK required - 0 posts
Our fantastic UK MEP'S?? - 41 posts
Hello from Madrid - 0 posts
Estate Agent Jokes !! - 1 posts
LORDS REMOVALS/TRANSPORT ON CAMPASOL - 2 posts
Do you think sterling is deliberately being kept low against the Euro - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x