I'VE BEEN SPOOFED !

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

A week or so ago I didn't have a clue what this was, until I was inundated with emails that stated I was the sender.  i.e.  the 'From' box & 'To' box are identical.  My web host says there is little that can be done to stop this spoofing.

Was just wondering if anyone else on here has had the same problem. 

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 5:38 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Try changing your password.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 6:11 PM by Norm de Plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

Try blocking or spamming your own email address - after all you don't want to send messages to yourself, do you?

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 6:59 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

It happens when someone puts your email address in the "from" box, but sends it from another account. That way, spam is delivered to people's inboxes with your email address and you receive all the "bounce backs"  from undeliverable mail. It has happened to me several times in the past as my email address is "out there" in many places. It is possible to set up SPF protection if you have your own domain and such like. This means that mail can only be sent from a known ip address, such as your webhosts webmail server. It can be a pain though as sometimes you want to send email from your PC email software and you can't. Some isp's also offer SPF protection.

Mark

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 8:09 PM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

Thanks Marksfish.  It's not as simple a problem as some may think!

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 8:20 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Try leaving it a couple of days to see if things drop off. You tend to find your address will be used for one campaign. You may find your email address is blacklisted at SpamCop or SORBS for a few days, but it resets if no reports are made over 3 days.

Mark

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 8:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I've never been able to figure out how you can put someone else's e-mail address in the "from" box. Not that I want to, of course - just wonder how they do it?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 8:39 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I have 5 different email accounts in my email programme Roberto. Easy enough to do when you set up a new account in Outlook. Choose a name, put in an email address and then add your outgoing server settings. Hey Presto!! I think the likes of Virgin/ NTL and a few others will not allow you tosend a non Virgin address through their servers for this reason. 

Mark

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 8:53 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Really? And you don't need the password corresponding to that e-mail address? Scary!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 9:07 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

You only need the password to retrieve the email. Sending an email can be sent securely (not encrypted though) using authentication which uses a password to access the outgoing server. In reality, not many of us bother which is why it is easy to spoof an address.

Mark

Like 0      
04 Mar 2011 5:30 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I don't think this has ever actually affected me - until yesterday. I have been receiving several bounce backs (undelivered mail) that I didn't send. If I was superstitious I'd say it's because I read this thread and posted on it!

Mark - apart from the fact that several people unknown to me will presumably be receiving e-mails that appear to have come from me, does this compromise my own security at all? I still can't quite get my mind around it - why would a spammer want to use my e-mail address, when he can just as easily set up a new gmail or Hotmail account to use for a one-off "campaign"? Do you think my own contacts will be getting spam from "me"?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Mar 2011 7:07 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

You'll be okay Roberto, unless you have allowed access to your email contacts list.  Your address will have probably been harvested from somewhere on the web. This in itself is harmless enough as my email is out there all over the place and has probably been collected I don't know how many times. Your address will then have been addd to a list and sold on. Sometimes, you may get unsolicited email with a unsubscribe link. You may never have been subcribed, but as soon as you click, you are addedto the database of verified active email addresses.

A spammer could sign up for a new Hotmail account (in fact, many scammers sign up to my forum using Hotmail, bloody system), but it is a bit of a ball ache. Why go to the effort of creating an account when you can choose to use one that is already made?

As I say, there is nothing usually anything more sinister than the address being used to make an email look legitimate. It is merely a tool the spammer uses to prevent his mailbox filling up wth unwanted bounces. Also, if you try to report the spam, most people will use the "from" email address to report instead of using something like Spamcop which will show the origin.

If you want o PM me your email address, i'll send you one from yourself if you want, just to show how easy it is.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring .

Mark

Mark

Like 0      
04 Mar 2011 8:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Thanks Mark  Guess there's nothing to worry about then really. I'll just ignore these bounce backs and hope it's just a temporary nuisance.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Mar 2011 8:28 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I got over 3000 in a week once!!!

Like 0      
04 Mar 2011 10:08 PM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

I've been able to see the original email address of my spoofed emails by clicking on 'properties'.  See if that works for you Roberto.  Interestingly, since I've taken off the website address from my profile on here, the spoofing has ceased.  May just be a coincidence, but if Roberto is being spoofed from the same people - then that is worrying (all connected to overseas investments).

Like 0      
05 Mar 2011 12:49 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

There's an awful lot of info attached to the failed delivery notification, including this:

X-Note: Spam Tests Failed: FORGEDMAILER, SHORTURL, WEIGHT10, WEIGHT15
X-Country-Path: UNITED STATES->UNITED STATES
X-Note-Sending-IP: 74.53.39.250
X-Note-Reverse-DNS: fa.27.354a.static.theplanet.com

Seems to be originating from Houston Texas. the only actual e-mail address I can see amongst all the jargon seems to be this: 7nu1rfshea6l1_tzhhl6e49pyfw@mx009.twitter.com.tmail

Mean anything to anyone?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Mar 2011 9:29 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

The IP address belongs to a web hosting company, so it seems someone has paid their minimal amout to send mail through their servers. I would imagine the account will soon be shut down.

Mark

Like 0      
05 Mar 2011 4:56 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hope so. Got another half dozen returned today.

Mark, I use Windows Live Mail (used to use Outlook) and if I try to set up another e-mail account (using a known gmail or hotmail address for example) I can't send any messages because I need to enter a password (see screenshot). Explain again in short words (!!) how to get round that. (Just curious, you understand)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Mar 2011 6:52 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

If you put (for example) johndoe@example.com as the email address, leave the password blank, untick the password box and put John Doe in the Display name box. Next check the Manually configure server settings and on the next page you can put your outgoing mail server settings. This means that the email address shown in the recipients email address will be yours, but it is sent through the spammers internet connection.

Mark

Like 0      
05 Mar 2011 7:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

OK, this is starting to irritate me now! Have to crack it. It seems no matter what configuration I try, I keep getting asked for a valid password. No problem entering johndoe@gmail.com (for example - I'm actually using a friend's address - his name isn't John Doe). Leave the password unchecked, check manually configure and get to this:

Cannot continue without both incoming and outgoing server info. So what do I do next? My ISP is Telefonica, so do I enter pop3.telefonica.net & smtp.telefonica.net? Done that, and tried all combinations of authentication or not - still need a password to send a mail.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Art Exhibition Castillo de la Duquesa Manilva - 0 posts
Wanted: Weight training equipment... - 2 posts
Here today gone tomorrow! - 5 posts
Can't find Hotels near motorways in Spain? - 17 posts
Public Liability Insurance for Building Company - 3 posts
BLUE MED PROPERTIES - 28 posts
internet in rental house - 3 posts
FOR SALE Callway golf clubs x14 pro series rifle shafts and ping putter and taylor made driver and more clubs and bags all for !!!30 euros!!! - 2 posts
Selling UK Registered Car In Spain - 9 posts
trish - 4 posts
Cedula's - anyone out there know about them? - 0 posts
Beer at 16 cents per can - 0 posts
Transport from UK required - 0 posts
Our fantastic UK MEP'S?? - 41 posts
Hello from Madrid - 0 posts
Estate Agent Jokes !! - 1 posts
LORDS REMOVALS/TRANSPORT ON CAMPASOL - 2 posts
Do you think sterling is deliberately being kept low against the Euro - 7 posts
Unpaid Community Fees - 19 posts
mobile disco usage & wedding dresses - 0 posts
FS xbox 360 - 0 posts
Denuncia for speeding - 15 posts
Legal Spanish Ice cream business for sale - 0 posts
can't phone endesa from uk - please help! - 11 posts
Looking for a second hand clothes shop that buys clothes or comission - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x