Watch BBC iPlayer in Spain without VPN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Nov 2010 12:00 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

A couple of months ago I wrote a blog post about a cheap VPN company called HideIpVPN, which was perfect for BBC Iplayer.

Now, with some free software, it is possible to watch BBC iPlayer etc completely free, without the need for a VPN.  More details here.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
07 Nov 2010 3:47 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Looks good  I'd be interested to hear the results from people using it as I won't be out now until next year. It would also be interesting to see if it is still running in a few months time,  the vpn's are found out quite quickly usually and the ip's blocked.

Mark

Like 0      
07 Nov 2010 5:55 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

OK, I just installed it and tried it.  I was a bit sceptical as it pulls up a notice that it is not approved by Microsoft so it could lead to issues.

Anyway, I installed it and it does work.  Managed to watch iPlayer with it quite well.

It displays ads at the top of every web page you visit after it's installed so you have to disconnect when you're not using it.

However, I just uninstalled it!

After I disconnected and closed the program I was getting a funny sound through the speakers.  It sounded like someone's phone conversation.  I have no idea what it was but it made me very uneasy having this software installed on my PC.

Shame really as it does work.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
08 Nov 2010 1:56 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I don't like the look of it either, so I removed it after half an hour.  I'll stick to my £6 per month VPN.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2010 3:59 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

Hi I also downloaded this program but after I'd played about with it for a while I didn't like the bits and pieces that came with it so I deleted it and the toolbar etc which loads seperately and the changes to my home page.etc etc

Like 0      
13 Jan 2012 12:47 PM by madiexvv Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Spam **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 13/01/2012.

Like 0      
16 Jan 2012 9:35 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Sanchez

What are you using? I signed up to Eltel, but sadly, even though it was a great service, they folded. I need someone to recommend another provider.

Ta

Irene

Like 0      
16 Jan 2012 11:11 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Irene, have you tried using OnSpeed?  I blogged about it here.

It's what I use and it works very well.

Cheapest solution out there too.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
16 Jan 2012 11:53 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

17 Jan 2012 8:22 AM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

Hi I use two proxy servers  these are Expat shield which is free and works well provide your download speed is good and this one is free, the other is Onspeed which again works well but again needs a good download speed and this cost around 20/30 euros ayea 

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
17 Jan 2012 11:24 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

I am confused. Onspeed doesn´t allow me access to iplayer and according to Onspeed, it never will. So, Justin, how does this help you watch UK TV on line?

Ta

Irene

Like 0      
17 Jan 2012 12:05 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Irene, where does it say you can't use OnSpeed for iPlayer?

I use it every day and it works great.  I just open the program, wait a second whilst it connects to the UK server and hey presto...a UK IP!

The only one is doesn't seem to work for is ITV player, but I never watch ITV myself anyway.

Justin

Like 0      
17 Jan 2012 12:06 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Well I just tried it and got the blocking message!!!!

Like 0      
17 Jan 2012 12:14 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

17 Jan 2012 1:20 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

The message reads:

Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you. Why?

If you are in the UK and see this message please read this advice.

Go to the BBC iPlayer Radio homepage

Like 0      
17 Jan 2012 1:30 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

It looks like onspeed isn't hooking up then.

Do you see the round green onspeed icon in the bottom right of your status bar?  Hover over it.  See if it tells you it's not connected.

Or right-click it and enable it, in case it's not enabled.

Let me know if that helps.

Justin

Like 0      
17 Jan 2012 5:42 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi Justin

Nope it was and still is connected.

Irene

Like 0      
17 Jan 2012 6:54 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Irene, with it switched on, go to this site whatismyipaddress.com and see what location it gives you.

It should say that you are in the UK, if not then your onspeed isn't working and you need to contact their support people.

Let me know how you get on.

Like 0      
17 Jan 2012 8:11 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi Justin

It says I´m in Alicante. I´ll contact onspeed

Thanks

Irene

Like 0      
18 Jan 2012 12:12 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi Justin

A big thank you!!!! I finally got it sorted, also thanks to Onspeed´s online help who talked me through manually configuring Firefox... and now it all works. You´ve been really helpful and patient, and it´s much apprecited.

Irene

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Best freesat postcode. - 12 posts
Spanish among British - 1 posts
changing from UK Tv back to spanish freeview - 4 posts
Community Satellite / TV Service requirements - 1 posts
For those who rent our their properties for holidays - 13 posts
BBC4 missing - 1 posts
Bank accounts? - 3 posts
Easyjet - 1 posts
Insurance - Any good ones? - 7 posts
Kelly's Bar - New in Duquesa - 3 posts
Condado - New Purchase - 9 posts
Writer + family seeks 3-month let from December 2011 - 3 posts
lost deposit - 34 posts
Steel pet cages for sale - 0 posts
Various items for sale! - 0 posts
whats the weather like currently? - 6 posts
person oriented retirement village - 2 posts
Desktop PCs for sale - 17 posts
COVERA SUNDAY MARKET - 0 posts
help please on a vpo - 4 posts
exterior paint prices - 8 posts
CAR HIRE GATWICK AIRPORT - 1 posts
Vodafone Address - 2 posts
SKY GOLD AND DISCOVERY CHANNEL - 3 posts
spains had its knocks - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x