Bank accounts?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Nov 2010 12:00 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

Does anyone have any idea whether it is best for a married couple to have a joint account or an account for each individual?

The reason I ask is a Spanish friend recently lost her husband and because they had joint accounts, the tax demand from the Government was extremely high!

I wondered if separate accounts would be better and reduce the taxes?

Thanks in advance for any help.

pilgrim

Like 0      
05 Nov 2010 3:10 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

In theory it should not make any difference.

What normally happens in Spain is money is removed swiftly before death if possible.

So if they had seperate accounts the money could have been transferred prior to death.

Certificate at date of death will not then show money and I guess that is what caught your friends with their joint account.

So the answer kind of depends if you have time to organise your affairs before death which many do.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2010 5:51 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

Well, Faro,

that tells me, to reduce the panic in transferring money close to the death of a partner, it would certainly be wise to have separate accounts!!

pilgrim

Like 0      
08 Nov 2010 9:29 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Yes & no

Money held in a joint accoint is deemed owned 50/50. So if you have seperate accounts and 50/50 in each account then you will be in exactly the same situation.

Have all your money in the account of the deceased and then you will have more trouble and more tax.

What sometimes happens with joing accounts is that one neglects to tell the bank the other party ahas died nd takes all the money and leaves the account dormant.

For foreign people it is a real nuisance if the only Spanish asset on death is a bank account because you will need to present certain documents to the bank to get access to funds (a probate of sorts) unless again you neglenct to tell them and somehow withdraw all the money.

Many people know they are on the way out and for foreign people that is an ideal time to sort Spanish matters out and excape Spanish inheritance tax particularly if there is not IHT in UK.

I'm not saying any/all of above is legal but it is tax we are trying to avoid so all is fair!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Easyjet - 1 posts
Insurance - Any good ones? - 7 posts
Kelly's Bar - New in Duquesa - 3 posts
Condado - New Purchase - 9 posts
Writer + family seeks 3-month let from December 2011 - 3 posts
lost deposit - 34 posts
Steel pet cages for sale - 0 posts
Various items for sale! - 0 posts
whats the weather like currently? - 6 posts
person oriented retirement village - 2 posts
Desktop PCs for sale - 17 posts
COVERA SUNDAY MARKET - 0 posts
help please on a vpo - 4 posts
exterior paint prices - 8 posts
CAR HIRE GATWICK AIRPORT - 1 posts
Vodafone Address - 2 posts
SKY GOLD AND DISCOVERY CHANNEL - 3 posts
spains had its knocks - 10 posts
Moving to Spain: Exchange my UK car - Boxter - 6 posts
MOUNTAIN BIKES - 3 posts
School books - a rip off? - 17 posts
Here we go again!!! Another Nigerian scam!! now advertising properties on this forum!! - 3 posts
BAD NEWS!!! Noriega is about to collapse!! - 0 posts
Interesting Article - 1 posts
Looking for good quality 2nd hand furniture. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x