Insurance - Any good ones?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Nov 2010 12:00 AM by Hammer100 Star rating in Camposol, Mazarron. 94 posts Send private message

Hammer100´s avatar

My motor insurance is due and my current insurer has quoted a very high renewal price. I tried one local broker who was a little cheaper but trying to see who else is worth a go in Spain and if they have instalment payments then even better. Tried two more local brokers but waste of time as one their website didnt work properly (no suprise there) and the other has not even bothered to call me back (guess some ex-pat businesses just have too much work in this economic crisis)

Appreciate any recommendations as I find some over here have no idea what they are talking about.

Cheers

Dedicated Property Management - Mazarron http://www.mspvillaservices.com

Like 0      
05 Nov 2010 12:23 PM by moggy Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Hi there have you tried   Linea Directa  www.lineadireta.com 

We have been with them 5 years,they speak English,and we have been very happy with their services. 

Like 0      
05 Nov 2010 12:27 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Hammer100 - you may not be able to change at all! 

I got a quote via a friend for my car insurance and then called my current broker for a quote - they hadn't even sent me a renewal notice.  The quote they then sent was higher than my new quote, so I emailed them to say thanks but no thanks, as I was going with the new one.  They then told me that I had to give 3 months notice if I wanted to cancel and that all Spanish insurers would hold me to this.  This from the guy who didn't even bother to send me a renewal quote!!! 

He did then get me a better quote, but I have marked the 3 months notice date in my diary and will be cancelling next year.

Best to check with your current insurers to see if they will release you. 

Like 0      
05 Nov 2010 2:41 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I know the 3 month notice clause is in policy somewhere but I have changed house & car insurance at renewal and they have said nothing.

Used to be with Linea Direct then changed to Zurich - much cheaper with young driver on policy.

Also have other policies with Liberty who insure RHD at ok price.

Best thing is never pay by direct debit - pay by cash or bank transfer and then they can't take the premium - or else keep an eye on bank account and have your bank recall premium .....

Like 0      
05 Nov 2010 5:43 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi All,

The legal requirement for notice is 2 months, with any insurance - you may be aware that renewals are automatic unless you advise otherwise and many companies do not even inform you what the new premium is in advance!

I am informed (re my own insurance policies) that the 'simple' way to cancel is to stop the direct debit to ensure further payment is not made.  I was told, and it has been my own experience, that the insurance company will send you several letters, basically stating that the policy has been renewed but payment has not yet been received; however if you ignore these letters they eventually give up as they do not have the time, resource or inclination to pursue you!     That aside, I would advise, time permitting you give the said notice your insurance company is asking for.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
05 Nov 2010 6:10 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

also if you have spoken with them and your reason for changing is premium then they had the chance to match and declined. I think that is why I have never had any problem.

Like 0      
05 Nov 2010 7:16 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I changed my buildings & contents insurer without giving the required notice

I cancelled my DD and the old insurer called me for the payment

I explained I had taken out another policy with a different company

My old insurer told me of the cancellation period and that I would have to pay the full year's premium

I told him, no I am not, take me to prison then....................

Phone call ended and I have not heard from them since, that was 4 years ago..........................!!!!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
05 Nov 2010 7:43 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

good one!!

With insurance all you have to say is ok I'll renew at same premium I paid last year!! - again ball back in their court.

With my car insurance they had the choice insure my son at a fair premium or I move and they never said one word becuase they could/would not match alternative premium.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Kelly's Bar - New in Duquesa - 3 posts
Condado - New Purchase - 9 posts
Writer + family seeks 3-month let from December 2011 - 3 posts
lost deposit - 34 posts
Steel pet cages for sale - 0 posts
Various items for sale! - 0 posts
whats the weather like currently? - 6 posts
person oriented retirement village - 2 posts
Desktop PCs for sale - 17 posts
COVERA SUNDAY MARKET - 0 posts
help please on a vpo - 4 posts
exterior paint prices - 8 posts
CAR HIRE GATWICK AIRPORT - 1 posts
Vodafone Address - 2 posts
SKY GOLD AND DISCOVERY CHANNEL - 3 posts
spains had its knocks - 10 posts
Moving to Spain: Exchange my UK car - Boxter - 6 posts
MOUNTAIN BIKES - 3 posts
School books - a rip off? - 17 posts
Here we go again!!! Another Nigerian scam!! now advertising properties on this forum!! - 3 posts
BAD NEWS!!! Noriega is about to collapse!! - 0 posts
Interesting Article - 1 posts
Looking for good quality 2nd hand furniture. - 1 posts
Hi to EOS. - 5 posts
shutters - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x