which place is suitable for the elderly in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by great2010 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

which place is suitable for the elderly in Spain?

Like 0      
12 Oct 2010 7:29 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I would say that small towns are always better than big ones. Life is always much more rich in these small, traditional places. I would say for instance Los Barrios or San Roque in my area

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
12 Oct 2010 8:37 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Personally I would recommend a coastal area as inland Spain even just 100kms inland can get extremely hot in the summer and very cold in the winter, both leading to heavy use of heating and / or aircon depending on the season and electricity here is expensive probably moreso than in the UK.

We live in inland Granada province where summer temps regularly reach over 100F / 39C and fall as low as maybe 24F /  -8C during the winter. Our electricity bills can be in excess of 120 Euros per month during these times. The cost of electricity is of prime concern to pensioners or those on fixed incomes. Remember though that provided you qualify for the Winter Fuel Allowance in the UK that right also applies when you move out here. I am of the opinion that this is only reasonable; if you've spent all your working life ploughing money into UK plc you have the smae rights to benefits after retirement as anyone else irrespective of where you live...

Living in the coastal strips you are far more likely to encounter other Brits; learning a new language is very difficult as one gets older.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
12 Oct 2010 9:17 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Interesting question.  All the traditional villages are full of elderly people.  These days the younger generation are moving out into the larger towns and cities.

I suppose it depends what you want out of your retirement.  Some people love the tranquility of traditional villages whilst others prefer the hussle and bussle of the main coastal towns.  And remember that not all villages are far from the coast.  Ours is just 2 minutes away.

It's really down to personal preference I suppose. 

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
12 Oct 2010 9:52 AM by angela59 Star rating in Ireland. 58 posts Send private message

Hi,

South Costa Blanca seems to be fully of elderly in winter months - there is a micro climate which is good for asthma sufferers and other ailments. 

Angela59

Like 0      
12 Oct 2010 11:34 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

It seems to me that the original question is really far too vague to give a sensible answer. If we assume that it refers to elderly expats, and if we assume that we are talking about somewhere to live rather than just holiday, and if we assume that the elderly in question are planning to move to Spain, do not speak Spanish, will not have family or close friends nearby and are basically unfamiliar with life in Spain generally, then my answer would have to be, it probably isn't suitable to be considering the move at all.

But maybe I've missed the point entirely. A little more detail would be useful. With a bit of elaboration, you will no doubt find a torrent of useful (and sensible) advice forthcoming.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Oct 2010 6:24 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

I totally agree with Roberto.

Another thing to consider .... do the elderly people referred to by great2010 have good physical health? Some areas are not so good for people with mobility problems (whatever their age), whether they be located in urban areas or more rural towns. Also, can the elderly people drive? Or would they be reliant on transport??

More information is needed to be able to provide some useful and helpful (hopefully) advice

Wend

Like 0      
12 Oct 2010 8:47 PM by titian10 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

well I moved from the UK in August , 59 years of age , disabled and on my own, I don't have a problem. I live near the village of Mollina and did'nt really want the hustle and bustle of a coastal town. So it would be down to personal preference.

I love it here , and as for learning the language , it just takes a bit of time . Like everything else.

Like 0      
17 Oct 2010 3:40 AM by great2010 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

thank you for your answers,my dear friends. the elderly are healthy, and they like the countryside. they like travelling.stay in spain maybe for a long holiday,if the weather,environment or other factors,they will move to next place~~~

Like 0      
17 Oct 2010 12:01 PM by moggy Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Hi All,would have to agree the question is a bit vague,what age do you consider as elderly.Also are they active what are there intrests and hobbies,do they speak spanish do they have health problems the list could go on.W e live on the Costa Calida in the Mazarron area we are at the moment healthy 60 plus.We love walking and the area down here is super for tha,t the port of Mazarron is typicaly spanish but with plenty of bars and restaurants to suit every one but we certainly dont have the larger lout element as it is mainly the older generation that like it down here.It really is down to personal choice,and maybe our needs will change if  something should happen to one of us,but we live for the day.Maureen 

Like 0      
14 Jan 2011 6:00 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

fuengirola there is not a single hill in fuengirola is best

coldest day in december 15c

buses cheap food cheaper than england

almost no crime

Like 0      
14 Jan 2011 6:14 PM by Honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Pilar de la Horadada, at the southernmost end of Costa Blanca, is ideal -  tranquil, very flat, plenty of cycleways, strong Spanish feel, public transport to Murcia and Caratagena, supermarkets, bars, promenades, beahces and the local leasure center, all within walking distance. Well worth considering.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2011 9:14 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

I agree Fuengirola is the place to go its very orientated towards the retired and there is a lot off good cheap accomodation to choose from an UPMARKET benidorm

Regards Rod

www.ournextholiday.co.uk

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 3:27 AM by soodmall Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

**Edited - Spam **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 15/01/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Grammatical Rules for forum posts...(Only Joking...) - 15 posts
Wanted: Long Term Property Rental Benidorm Area - 0 posts
Auriga Crown - extra insurance - 4 posts
Changes - 3 posts
How is everyone? - 11 posts
ryanair dublin to almeria - 1 posts
First Steps - 4 posts
Early closing today on the Orihuela Costa? - 1 posts
TRANSLATING A LETTER EASILY - 11 posts
cash machines - 2 posts
I've found Norman - 0 posts
Introduction - 2 posts
Water Bills online - 5 posts
Goldcar - out of hours extra payment - 1 posts
Registering for IVA - 3 posts
Do you really want to sell your property - 7 posts
12 seater mini bus - 2 posts
Competa - 0 posts
Hola todos - 3 posts
No cars available - 0 posts
lawyer help in archivel/murcia area required - 2 posts
new here - 1 posts
Sterling continues to weaken as the UK economy house prices stumbles!!!! - 3 posts
Mountain bike for sale - 3 posts
Overcharged by mobile phone company - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x