Spanish retirement pension

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by MexMaya Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Does anyone know how many years you have to work in Spain to get the FULL retirement pension and what that amount is?

Is there a website where you can get info about this (in english or spanish)

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 7:59 PM by Hammer100 Star rating in Camposol, Mazarron. 94 posts Send private message

Hammer100´s avatar

Believe it is 15 years to qualify for a pension.

Dedicated Property Management - Mazarron http://www.mspvillaservices.com

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 8:13 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

15 years for a 50% pension but 35 years for FULL 100% pension. The full Spanish state pension is now over 800 euros pm, much higher than the full UK state pension.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 8:15 PM by MexMaya Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Hi no you only need to contribute for one year now

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 8:23 PM by moonbeam Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Believe you need 35 years of contributions to get a FULL Spanish state pension.  Retirement age at present is 65, but you can retire from 60/61 onwards with a reduction.

The amount you will get is calculated on the last 15 years of your working life (but they are talking about making this the last 20 years)

The government does have a website giving information.  If you Google it I´m sure it will come up as an option.

Hope this helps a bit.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 8:42 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I haven't got time to trawl through it all right now, but I think you may find the info you're after here

Hope this helps? If so, maybe you can post a synopsis here later for the rest of us!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 8:55 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

MexMaya, one year? Dream on chuck! The Spanish pension qualifications and age of retirement are currently under review so maybe it will change to one year............but somehow I doubt it.

www.intlben.com/country-profiles/spain-employee-benefits-state-mandatory-private-pension

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 01/09/2010.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 9:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

There may be some truth in it - any contributions may count towards some sort of pension. Have a look at this site also.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 9:18 PM by MexMaya Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

No I am not dreaming, this site will not let me post the link but google for EUlisses - it tells you all the new EU rules on pensions if you contributed in more than one EU country, its the spanish element I am missing......

I have contributed to Spain for several years and before that the UK but EUlissess is not clear on how much pension you can get and it does not seem possible to get a pension forecast from both countries.

This message was last edited by MexMaya on 01/09/2010.

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 9:19 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Contributions paid in some countries may count towards a state retirement pension in another. So, if you have not paid enough contributions in one country to qualify for a state pension the contributions paid in another could be used to qualify for a state pension in another country. I don't know of anywhere where one years worth of contributions is enough to qualify for anything unless it is used in conjuction with contributions paid in another country.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 9:32 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Your entitlement to a FULL pension will depend on the qualifying requirements of the country you are claiming in. As I previously posted currently in Spain it is 35 years for a FULL pension, in the UK it is 30 years. Before a pension forecast can be given they will have to know full details of where you were living and dates etc. Depending on how long  you have been contributing in Spain it may be more benficial to have those contributed added to your UK contributions and claim a UK pension (or vice versa) but obviously it depends on your individual circumstances.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
01 Sep 2010 10:29 PM by MexMaya Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

But under the new rules it seems you are not able to do this Poppyseed?  Have you looked at EUlisses?  It says categoically that you must draw the relevant proportions from the country in which you contributed. If I add my contributions together then I am almost at 35 years contributions in total within the EU.   Is it 35 years in Spain on basic seg social contributions or should you pay enhanced contributions to actually qualify for the full pension?  It seems also there are variations in Regions?

Like 0      
02 Sep 2010 10:01 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

02 Sep 2010 10:16 AM by MexMaya Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Yes that was the link I tried to post but this forum would not let me?  Am I doing something wrong?

So if I have 35 years combined then does that mean I get the equivalent of a full spanish pension (worth more) if I am living in spain or do they only add on enough contrubituions from the UK to make it up to the minimum requirement (15 years worth)? Or is it proportionate to the country I contributed in?  I don´t understand how I can work out how much pension I should receive from which country.........

Like 0      
02 Sep 2010 10:58 AM by kabri Star rating in Squatting in the Cos.... 45 posts Send private message

My sister inlaw has contacted DHSS in the UK last month as she has been working for eight years here in Spain to ask whether the contributions paid could be combined with her previous UK contributions to top up the UK pension the answer was NO, you now have to apply for the pension from what ever country you have paid into the system and contributions cannot be combined.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2010 1:46 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

My sister inlaw has contacted DHSS in the UK last month as she has been working for eight years here in Spain to ask whether the contributions paid could be combined with her previous UK contributions to top up the UK pension the answer was NO, you now have to apply for the pension from what ever country you have paid into the system and contributions cannot be combined.

This is my understanding of how it works.  I asked The social security dept in Gibraltar and they said I would get separate pensions from Gib, Spain and the UK.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2010 4:12 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

From the Pensions Service website

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/StatePension/Basicstatepension/DG_10026714

Making State Pension contributions if you work abroad

If you're working abroad, you may be able to pay into the State Pension scheme of the country where you're working. You can do this in EEA countries and some others, such as Canada and New Zealand, where there are special arrangements.

Depending on how long you work abroad, you can have your contributions credited to your UK State Pension or you could receive two pensions - one from the UK and one from the country where you lived and worked. This will be decided when you reach State Pension age, taking into account where you live.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
02 Sep 2010 5:27 PM by MexMaya Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Hi Poppyseed, thank you for taking time to post so many helpful links on here, but its all this conflicting info that makes me confused as they contradict one another.....I have been told the EUlisses info is the latest and thus most correct as it came in in last 18 months........but it seems maybe even government bodies are not clear!

Like 0      
02 Sep 2010 5:28 PM by moonbeam Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Don´t know if this helps - but as I understand it you need 35 years contributions to qualify for a full Spanish state pension, including contributions made in EU countries. 

The amount of pension you will receive depends on the contributions made during the last 15 years before the minimum retirement age (at present 65, early retirement possible with appropriate reductions from 60).  Men and women have the same retirement age. This favours people in civil service type jobs who have good pay scales and so receive higher salaries, with higher contributions paid, during the latter part of their working life.  It does not favour the poor souls who lose their jobs in their 50´s with little hope of getting well paid work again before retirement.  So they are talking about making the calcuation period for the amount of  the pension to be received over the last 20 years.  I think this is fairer to everybody.

Unlike some other countries at present the pension you receive here is more or less earnings related.  The 15 years is not a minimum period of employment but the period over which they look at the contributions made to calculate the amount of your pension. 

Therefore, the pensions here are usually higher than English pensions.  Private pension schemes are not common at all here, but that will change in the future as the government feel they cannot afford  to offer such ´generous´ pensions forever!  They also plan to raise the retirement age to 67. 

The basic non-contributive pension is rather low at only 399 euros per month.

However, I´m not sure what happens if you do not have the full 15 years of Spanish contributions necessary for the calculation, but mainly contributions in other EU countries during this time!  It seems you might have to take separate pensions from separate countries in this situation?

This pension theme is a really interesting point to get clarified, as it´s going to affect us all one day!!

Like 0      
02 Sep 2010 6:11 PM by moonbeam Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Sorry - meant to say all the people who are asking how their contributions will affect their future pensions.  Not everybody who is reading this forum!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Hire - 3 posts
Golden Products Nutriance Aloe Vera Gel - 0 posts
Endesa Office, San Pedro De Alcantara, Marbella, Spain - 2 posts
Iberbanda dial out problem - 0 posts
solar power?? - 2 posts
We had a fantastic time in Costa Blanca - 8 posts
El Gringo, El Grosso - 5 posts
for sale - wedding dress - 0 posts
for sale - van space - 1 posts
Incorrect property and SUMA - 2 posts
Agricultural Water for dogs to drink - 2 posts
Speeding fine - how do I pay?? - 9 posts
Just moved to Spain - 8 posts
cert of first occupation - 5 posts
To Learn A Language,Teach it! - 1 posts
CHANGE - 1 posts
Swimming Pool Maintenance - 9 posts
Problem Neighbours - 8 posts
Im looking for a villa to rent - 4 posts
Van service needed from Rojales to Reading (UK) - 10 posts
REgistering a motor boat on to spanish matriculation - 0 posts
Income Tax Rates in Spain - 2 posts
Child at Risk. Help Needed - 17 posts
BEWARE CAR JACKING AROUND BARCELONA AUGUST 2010 - 5 posts
EOS Facebook integration in progress so things may go belly up - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x