Best bank for expats

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Oct 2008 10:36 PM by Josie Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi I am with Banco de Andalucia at present but was considering changing to Barclays, any ideas?  Does anybody else use Barclays?  Me being a bit dim, do not seem able to get my head around the online system or bank statements with B de A.  I have a place in Estepona, and know they have a Barclays branch there.....thought it might be more convenient etc to link up with Barclays here as well.

Although reading this forum the Halifax seems to be getting good reviews.!!!
Sue

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 7:59 AM by Rickiebear Star rating in Bristol UK/Tenerife. 40 posts Send private message

We opened a Solbank account through their London office, we had a discount on their charges, (for life of the account for some) as we had an account with HSBC in the UK. Many UK banks have links. We also arranged a mortgage with them. I can say that we had exceptional service and still do. They keep in touch when ever a payment is due out and if we make a new payment via the internet  (which is available in English) always check with us first. I only wish the UK banks looked after us so well.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 7:29 PM by Josie Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Many thanks for the reply rickiebear, maybe I should try them...I find it all so confusing, as to what to do for the best!!

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 7:42 PM by sunnymim Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

Have been with Banco de Andalucia since 1998,just changed to Cajamar due to Bancos high charges.Wish I'd done it ages ago!.....

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 7:55 PM by Rickiebear Star rating in Bristol UK/Tenerife. 40 posts Send private message

Josie, and others check with your UK banks, most have an arrangement. I have accounts with both Barclays and NatWest, who both have local brances in Tenerife. But I found the London office of Solbank very helpful, including help in filling out the forms, which I sent to London who then forwarded to a local branch, all without depositing any money. I also found my Estate Agent in Tenerife very helpful, she did not have any connection with Solbank, but also helped to make contact, and later said how impressed she was with them.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 8:05 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
We have a Barclays Spain account. They are very helpful in the account set up stages as overseas clients are dealt with in Madrid, althoough you are allocated a local branch. We opted to open our account in Cartagena for NIE purposes, but will be moving it to the Mojacar branch when we come out at Christmas. The online banking is okay, but if you want to contact customer support through the web, it is very slow. You are lucky to receive a response within a week.  We have the Spain solutions account which is €20 per quarter, but get it a bit cheaper as the wife is staff. We have noticed online transfer incur a %age fee with a minimum of €4, but cheques are cashed free of charge and there is no charge for using the Electron debit card.

Mark

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 8:14 PM by Rickiebear Star rating in Bristol UK/Tenerife. 40 posts Send private message

Hi, Solbank, €16 service every 3 months, all transfers are free. We have a Solband Credit card which is settled monthly by standing order again interest free. I usually get a reply the same day on any e-mails etc. We also bought all our insurances through them, which I think were very value for money. This means we can watch all our payments via the internet. I am very impressed, and when we visit the branch (2/3 times a year) we are always very welcomed.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 8:57 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
We bank with Caja Murcia & pay no monthly fees or charges.

When I transfer funds over to Spain they are credited to my account the next day & I don't get charged for "landing" fees either.

The only fees we pay are 33 euros per annum for the debit card which has no charges for cashpoint withdrawals.

I have the personal email addresses of my branch where I have my current account & the branch where I have my mortgage. (Long story!) & they usually answer within a couple of hours.

Their Internet banking is very easy to use as well.

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 11/1/2008.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 10:51 PM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

Hi nfm,
Has Caja Murcia got any branches in the Alicante area & is the Internet banking  in English? Thanks.

This message was last edited by Forhotspot on 11/1/2008.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 11:19 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
Yes it would appear that there are branches in Alicante area. If you google "caja murcia alicante" quite a few came up. You could be more specific on the area to see what was near to you. Yes the website is in English and very easy to navigate.

Also, if you look at the website there is a link at the top for branches
www.cajamurcia.es/english

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 11/2/2008.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
02 Nov 2008 1:27 AM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

Thanks nfm. I can see that they have branches everywhere in Alicante. You said that you pay 33 euros per annum for the debit card. I've never ever use debit card & so it may sound silly asking you this question. Is the debit card required for withdrawing money out of the ATM  or do they provide a bank card for withdrawing money from the machine?
If the debit card is not a bank card to withdraw money, then I don't need the debit card. So do I need to pay the 33 euros pa?

Like 0      
02 Nov 2008 9:20 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
The debit card is required for drawing cash from the machines. It is the only way I have ever drawn cash but you could ask if they charge for you going into a branch to cash a cheque.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
03 Nov 2008 2:19 AM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

Thanks Noreen for the URL. I visited the site & they have visa which I use. They also have health & dental insurance. I've submitted a query & wait for them to reply. 

Like 0      
18 Apr 2009 1:53 PM by gazzyboi Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

santander and the sol bank seem the best for x pats as everything can be done in english, mind you the sol bank can charge hefty transactions for small amounts, i know im late, but might help :)

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 5:53 PM by Cantarranas Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Nobody have said which is the best bank to invest money with

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 10:49 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

i dont think there is one

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 8:54 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The only one I had a real problem with was Sol Bank. They charged me over £800 to make a Sterling Swift Transfer, even though I tried to negotiate a better deal.   Until I made that transfer they were ‘wonderful’ and I would have recommended them.

I have money invested off shore (tax paid in Spain ) as I was unable to find an investment  account in a Spanish bank that worth having

Like 1      
26 Sep 2013 4:27 PM by Matt_expat Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi,

Chasing something hopefully easy here, a free "Transaction Banking" service similiar to a UK bank, but it seems to be very hard to find. I do not yet have my NIE number.

PRIORITIES: 1) Free deposits/transfers to other EU banks, 2) Free Debit Card, 3) Website and the odd staff member who can speak english, and 4) No account charges (Free Banking).

Does this exist? So far I have seen Barclays (20 euros fee a quarter) and Sabadell (24 euros a quarter) who can meet the other criteria - Is this the best that I can achieve, should I just bite the bullet and accept that paying fees for a bank account is a given?

Cheers Matt

Like 0      
05 Jan 2014 10:02 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Hi

I have had bank accounts in Spain for about 10 years. My first account was with La Ciaxa. They were great for about 5 years then they started taking all sorts of money. It came to a head the year we went to New Zealand instead of Spain ( a year in which we had no property and made no transactions) and saw the amount they had taken for doing nothing added to payments for insurance which we had long cancelled.

We then moved to Banco Halifax Hispania. They have been very good but two years ago they were taken over by Lloyds. Lloyds so far have maintained our account on the same basis as with Halifax. Indeed they advised us to keep the account as we would no longer get the same terms.

Now Lloyds have sold out to Sabadell who have just sent thier terms. Take it or leave it. We have until 15 March before they start charging us.

As we have a flat we need a Spanish account, or do we?

Anyone reccommend a good one?

Anyone with a property manage without one?

Ted

Like 0      
05 Jan 2014 10:30 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Further to my last message.

Anyone heard of EVO as a Spanish bank?

Terms look good - no charges - double account - interest.

Anyone use them or know of them?

Ted

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Don't pay for your bank guarantee - 14 posts
villa required 27th feb to 4th march in murcia region - 2 posts
Property prices in inland Murcia - 3 posts
Property prices in inland Murcia - 0 posts
Do you like the new logo? - 20 posts
Accountants - 0 posts
Flights to and from GLASGOW - 0 posts
ADVICE - 2 posts
Finca parcs development - 0 posts
Deposit - 4 posts
Community Minutes - 0 posts
Administrators - 34 posts
cost of living? - 1 posts
Lifts - 0 posts
Gogo Estates, Aguilas - 30 posts
thinking of buying in porto fino - 1 posts
Neuvo Vera Apartment - 1 posts
jimena latest - 9 posts
Property Management - 0 posts
any information on building progress on torre alcantara? - 0 posts
furnature in fureteventura - 4 posts
3 months longer for developers to sell a new development - 0 posts
MRI international - 93 posts
kids football teams - 0 posts
Andalucian dream homes? have you used them? - 86 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 95

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x