Bank Guarantee - Case won and money returned - Maria & Costa Luz Lawyers

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

A big thank you to Maria and her team at Costa Luz for their hard work and efforts in presenting our case to the courts and achieving a successful outcome, we now have our money returned and safely in our UK bank account.

It has been about 2 years of anxiety and stress but finally Costa Luz have won through and delivered on their promise that we had a strong case against the developer.  I won't go into detail but suffice to say that our original lawyers said that we did not have a case and that there was no way we could get our money back.

Am I glad that I stumbled across EOS and read some of Maria's posts, her help and advice to others encouraged me to contact her and discuss our particular problem. I have been critical in previous posts about the the lack of information provided, but I put this down to frustration and now realise that there is a lot of work and effort behind the scenes and that Costa Luz are doing their very best for their clients.  Hopefully in the near future the online updates will be up and running so that others can benefit.

Once again, thanks Maria, Almudena and Steven and everyone else at Cost Luz. 

Kelju

Like 0      
14 Jun 2010 9:34 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Sorry, just realised I missed Patricia's name off the list and I can't see how to edit the post.

Kelju

Like 0      
14 Jun 2010 9:52 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

Kelju, might I be quite so bold as to ask you how much you have paid in total in solicitors fees or am I being too nosey..... I think one of the things that puts most people off is that there doesn't seem to be any bench points for fees for this type of litigation and for some unknown reason a lot of people are shy about discussing  'money' but lets face it this is what it is all about. Has anybody else got numbers that they would share with others on this forum?

The reason I ask this is because I recommended what I thought was a good solicitor in the Murcia region and they were quoted 10,000e which equated to about 10%. Needless to say I have not recommended this company again.

This message was last edited by KP on 14/06/2010.

Like 0      
14 Jun 2010 10:18 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Well done again Maria and the team....more good news?

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
14 Jun 2010 10:26 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

KP,

7,000 Euros up front and then I think a couple of hundred euros to the court for the case to be heard.  I know this is a lot of money but in the scheme of things if you win it is worth it.  I don't know how this compares to UK lawyers but you often hear quotes of £200 per hour, at least with this I knew it was 1 fee.

From paying this amount 2 years ago Costa Luz have not asked for anything else and have submitted the case to the courts twice and defended the appeal by the developer twice.

Hope this helps

Kelju

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 2:14 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

Kelju

Thank you for sharing your experience with us all at least now some will have a bench mark to go back. One of things that is so frustrating about the Spanish legal system is that very few lawyers will give an example of fees and what work they will do for that fee, most lawyers I have dealt with in the past hate putting things in writing. Many thanks

Like 0      
18 Jun 2010 11:33 PM by dartboy Star rating. 95 posts Send private message

british lawyers charge a fortune my brother in law spent £35'000 fighting for custody of his son and lost.He is now doing it himself and having her done for purgery as she lied through her teeth in court.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2010 9:39 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

KP, if you won your case, surely your lawyers fees were paid for by the developer (since they lost the case) and the case was effectively cost free to you.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2010 3:13 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

Tish,   I have never had to take a developer to court I was just purely asking how much solicitors are charging nowadays as some people I know have paid small fortunes to their solicitors.

Your question about the lawyers fees fees being recouped from the builders is an interesting one, any lawyers care to comment on this?

Like 0      
20 Jun 2010 10:01 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

OMG!! Apologies KP......clearly my brain was not in gear last night! I should have addressed my post to kelju.

So: KELJU,     if you won your case, surely your lawyers fees were paid for by the developer (since they lost the case) and the case was effectively cost free to you.

Kp, in both our own and other peoples cases that have been won, lawyers fees were included in the compensation package, also interest.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2010 10:04 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

Tish, No problem, it was Saturday night after all and if you hadn't been on the vino, why not???? KP

Like 0      
20 Jun 2010 10:29 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Not the vino kp! My mind is slowly...no, make that rapidly, being numbed by the b****y football on TV and the horrendous din from those b****y SA "trumpets" !!!!!! 

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 12:08 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi Tish,

Yes, you are right, now that we have our initial deposit back the case goes back to the courts to claim for costs and legal interest.

I had to pay 7,000 euros up front for the original case to go to court which was 2 years ago.

At present I am still 7,000 euros out of pocket until the judge decides that the costs are to be paid by the bank.

Kelju

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 6:24 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Kelju:

Interests and legal costs have already been awarded to you. Where we are right now in in a little process for the valuation of the same as the deffendant has opposed our proposal.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 10:18 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Kelju:

Interests and legal costs have already been awarded to you. Where we are right now in in a little process for the valuation of the same as the deffendant has opposed our proposal.

Excellent news !  BUT  why do they ALWAYS quibble?? It's enough that you have had all this stress for several years, let alone been "relieved" of your hard earned money for same.

Well done Costa Luz Lawyers.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 12:25 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

maria

well done indeed for this win. If the developer had gone bust during the two years, where would your client stand?.

I think many are in the position of  having won their case against a developer who has gone bust. If a BG was never provided, who is seen to be at fault the most?, the developer or the bank or both equally? 

Is their any evidence of those who have won cases against developers who have goe bust, successfully then winning their case against the bank for nor providing the BG?

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 2:16 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

well done to all...

It seems that the balance of power is finally shifting...............

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 12:05 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Answers for Goodstich ( below in bold orange)

maria

well done indeed for this win. Thanks If the developer had gone bust during the two years, where would your client stand?. We would have followed a double process: defense of our clients´credit witin the insolvency proceedings and request fro liabilities against the Bank, out of provision 1.2 of Law 57/68

I think many are in the position of  having won their case against a developer who has gone bust. If a BG was never provided, who is seen to be at fault the most?, the developer or the bank or both equally? They both are at fault. Under different types or liabilities. Obviously if developer goes bust, the most advised action is to use action 1.2 of Law 57/68 

Is their any evidence of those who have won cases against developers who have goe bust, successfully then winning their case against the bank for nor providing the BG? NOT YET

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 1:53 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

maria

thanks for the answers. 

It would seem many of us have a good case under law 57/68. Can action be taken against the bank before developer insolvency proceedings have reached a final conclusion, or only after the outcome?

Like 0      
25 Jun 2010 8:40 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

You can of course use this action before the Insolvency proceedings are finished. even before they start. Once completion deadline arrives and you have no property with first occupation license available.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Upvc - 0 posts
Rattan Garden furniture - 3 posts
Apartment for Sale - 1 posts
How do I load a Powerpoint presentation into a new thread - 1 posts
Problems with President, Administrators and repairs been done. - 5 posts
How to get Spanish accent marks on your PC - 12 posts
Visual link Spanish - 0 posts
Teaching English in San Javier, Murcia - need information - 2 posts
Thank you to EOS!! - 2 posts
Musicians? - 12 posts
Im new and im moving to a spanish Cave House! - 8 posts
Im new and im going to move to a Spanish Cave House! - 6 posts
Gibraltar - 3 posts
Maria does it again!! - 23 posts
Land classification - Suelo No Urbanizable Comun - 2 posts
Fake Telefonica Phone Call - WARNING!!! - 1 posts
Velez Rubio How Nice - 3 posts
Should I give an estate agent a copy of my deeds? - 3 posts
Bank transactions - need some help with the lingo/descriptions! - 6 posts
Advice on selling privately - 6 posts
Good Afternoon ! - 2 posts
moving to spain - 8 posts
copy N.I.E certificate - 5 posts
40% off at Mango in Spain - 0 posts
n.i.e number - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 41

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x