bringing a car to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by maureent Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi I am new to this forum but would appreciate your comments re bringing a car to Spain.

We are changing our car in the UK and due to the ever increasing price of car hire - we spend about 4/5 months in Duquesa Southern Spain each year we are thinking of bringing our present car to Spain and leaving it there instead of selling it.

It  has a valid MOT certificate for another year and obviously is right hand drive. Can I please have your views on the fors and against ot this idea. We have looked at buying a car in Spain but they seem really expensive.

Thank you.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2010 7:04 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You would be well advised to search the forums for previous discussions on this topic (it's been extensively covered) and all the myriad opinions, but the short answer is just remember that you will have to bring the car back to the UK every year for an MoT (before it expires) and continue to pay road tax in the UK, and obviously ensure that your insurance policy will cover it to be out of the country for extended periods.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Jun 2010 8:02 PM by Mercedes Sosa Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Roberto is right, just take this all into account. The car being a RHD, it might be difficult at first to use the car on Spanish roads, specially when going on the autovia or autopista because in that case your views are limited.

Although second hand cars in Spain are expensive, it might be worth it to make some enquiries amongst your Spanish friends/neighbours to buy a good one. Another option would be to hire the car from a private person. Whatever your decision, good luck and drive safe!

Like 0      
07 Jun 2010 2:19 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

maureent, We have decided to take a car out to Spain and leave it there for as long as possible. You need to make sure it is road legal for the UK. You should be able to keep it there for 6 months without a problem. We have recently insured our car with Saga which covers you for 12 months outside the UK. We are going to drive down at the end of August. We will then decide if we should import to Spain or return it to the UK.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bad news in Spain! - 107 posts
Stinginess is Killing the Costas - 0 posts
Coefficients in Sub-communities - 1 posts
AMEX ADMINISTRATORS IN SABINILLAS - 2 posts
Cover for gazebo - 0 posts
San Javier's 25th anniversary air show is today & tomorrow. - 2 posts
Need help - 3 posts
Help and Advice Needed - 5 posts
Lawyers lost their appeal against us. - 20 posts
Warning - Bad Tenants, Almoradi/Catral/Dolores area - 14 posts
Serious buyer looking to buy a bargain - 16 posts
launderettes - 0 posts
Mortgage Direct S.L - 2 posts
Interest only mortgage. - 1 posts
How do I stop wasps making nests in my sofa? - 1 posts
Legal advise needed - 3 posts
Help required - Malaga Airport to Sebanillas by coach - 3 posts
DIY Finca/cortijo - 2 posts
Good news in Spain! - 426 posts
JUSTIN--HELP NEEDED WITH MY PMs - 5 posts
Telefonica Sim - i phone - 7 posts
day trip to tangiers - 6 posts
Aircon San Javier area - 1 posts
LHD FORD MONDEO GHIA 2.0CC PETROL AUTOMATIC FOR SALE 2002 - 2 posts
7,000 posts! - 26 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x