Help and Advice Needed

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by delicloths Star rating in Sawley, Ribble Valle.... 23 posts Send private message

HI to you all, we have decided after much deliberation to take the plunge and relocate to Spain. We have an apartment in Elviria and we spend long periods of time out in Spain and have talked for several years about moving, but there has always been obstacles in the way.

Earlier this year we decided to put the wheels in motion, we have 2 children age 10 and 7 and wanted to make the move before secondary school. We put our house and business up for sale in April expecting both to take months if not years to sell and ironically we had a good offer on our house after 2 weeks and we are hoping to exchange contracts later this month. The business is still for sale and I expect it will take much longer before this sells-after long discusssions my husband has decided the team he has in place are more than capable of running the business and he will do what he can via the internet from Spain.

So all at once we are now preparing for our move and although I feel we know the area quite well I am suddenly overwhelmed with what if's etc? We are planning for the children to go to The English International School in Marbella-any views will be welcome, our son is football mad so any help with football clubs in or around the Marbella area? We plan to live in the apartment and then rent a villa somewhere around the the Elviria area-anybody with help on letting agents etc?

Hope you can help with any advice at all as panic is beginning to set in!

Thankyou,

Karen

Like 0      
07 Jun 2010 8:22 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi Karen

I'm sorry I can't help you because we don't live in that neck of the woods, but I just wanted to wish you all the best! We've lived in Spain for just over a year now and love every minute of every day.

Regards

Irene

Like 0      
07 Jun 2010 9:01 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

I too would love to help but live no where near !!

I have lived here 8 years this year.

As long as you have done your homework, just go for it and enjoy!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
07 Jun 2010 9:07 PM by delicloths Star rating in Sawley, Ribble Valle.... 23 posts Send private message

Hi, Thanks for your replies, just wondered if anybody could offer any advice on healthcare and dentist? My husband is on medication for a stomach problem and has a monthly repeat prescription in the UK-do we need to take out private healthcare in Spain?

Thanks Karen

Like 0      
08 Jun 2010 12:01 AM by jayce Star rating. 80 posts Send private message

hello, I live in Elveria, one fo the best areas on the coast. The EIC is a very good school. Don't forget all the International schools follow the British system so no problems settling in.  There are plenty of activities for children, including football clubs. I know there is one in San Pedro. There is a publication called Kids on the Costa, always available at Iceland in Fuengirola and other places, has details of all the activities. Good luck, don't forget the school summer holidays are 12 weeks here......

Like 0      
15 Jun 2010 2:04 PM by spiritofspain Star rating in Riviera del Sol, Mij.... 114 posts Send private message

spiritofspain´s avatar

Hi delicloths

Welcome --- I live just along the coast from Elviria at Riviera del Sol. Have been here 11 years now and have to agree with you that this part of the coast is great.

The English International School has a very good reputation and turn out well adjusted, achieving children. They have high standards and expect hard work from all pupils.

There are a huge number of dentists along the coast including many ex-uk dentists - have a look in any of the 'free' english newspapers - especially the SUR in English as there are always adverts for such services - mind you the best way is to ask around and get a satified patient to refer you ... always a better bet.

Football in this area is very popular and there are many village teams all over the place - would help the children integrate and learn the language too.

If you are going to try to work in Spain eventually  then there is a scheme (if you are from mainland UK) where you could transfer your eligibilty to National Health Care to Spain for the first two years (I think)  you are here. So you would have an allocated 'national health' doctor etc etc and no worries about the repeat prescriptions for exsisting health problems. I believe the Form you need for this is an E106.

You might like to look at www.ukinspain.fco.gov.uk  - this is a super site from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office ... dont forget that the Consular Office in Malaga is a really helpful place for information

Hope this helps

M

Margery

www.losarqueros.iowners.net  and www.calahondapark.iowners.net

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lawyers lost their appeal against us. - 20 posts
Warning - Bad Tenants, Almoradi/Catral/Dolores area - 14 posts
Serious buyer looking to buy a bargain - 16 posts
launderettes - 0 posts
Mortgage Direct S.L - 2 posts
Interest only mortgage. - 1 posts
How do I stop wasps making nests in my sofa? - 1 posts
Legal advise needed - 3 posts
Help required - Malaga Airport to Sebanillas by coach - 3 posts
DIY Finca/cortijo - 2 posts
Good news in Spain! - 426 posts
JUSTIN--HELP NEEDED WITH MY PMs - 5 posts
Telefonica Sim - i phone - 7 posts
day trip to tangiers - 6 posts
Aircon San Javier area - 1 posts
LHD FORD MONDEO GHIA 2.0CC PETROL AUTOMATIC FOR SALE 2002 - 2 posts
7,000 posts! - 26 posts
endesa electrical supply Spain bad service - 0 posts
tax relief when renting in Spain - 0 posts
RHD car in Malaga area - 2 posts
Exchange Rate in Mojacar - 2 posts
Community Data Protection charge from administrator - 6 posts
Whats coming up in the Murcia region - 9 posts
Cheapest broadband in Spain at the moment - 11 posts
Batteries in Spain - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x