Advise please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 May 2010 12:00 AM by jonp Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi all,

A few of years ago, we paid the deposit for an apartment in Spain and the developer completed the development on time. We then applied for the mortgage to complete on the property, but despite trying various lenders, we were unable to secure a mortgage, so couldn't complete on the property. With the help of my lawyer we submitted certificates from many lenders to the developer to prove that I could not obtain a mortgage.

During the last 12 months I have attempted, without success, to have the deposit returned based on lack of finance.

My lawyer has recently informed us that the developer can sue for the balance of the monies, as 'Civil Code states that if one of the parties does not carry out the tems of the contract (ie complete on the property), the other party can make the necessary arrangements to ensure the terms of the contract are carried out'?

Has anybody heard of this before and is my lawyer correct?

Thanks in advance

JP

Like 0      
11 May 2010 5:09 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Jp:

It is correct, they can sue you. As correct as that you can defend your position due to lack of financiation.

Good luck!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
11 May 2010 5:25 PM by jonp Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Maria

I am amazed they can sue us for the balance, when it has been proven that we are unable to raise that balance!

Anyway, thankyou for the response.

JP

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Scenic Driving/Camping route from Manchester Via France to Pinoso Spain - 1 posts
boiler leak - 0 posts
Costs re: IHT and title transfer when spouse dies - 6 posts
leaking boiler - 0 posts
Favourite thing to eat since you moved to Spain? - 12 posts
Wanted - Long term rental in Cantoria - 4 posts
tax for none residents - 13 posts
Car Hire La Marina - 5 posts
Car Insurance renewals - 24 posts
Property sales on the increase in Spain - 13 posts
Supermarkets in Mazarron/Puerto de Mazarron - 2 posts
Garden Furniture - 5 posts
Spanish catholic query - re 'encapuchado de la Santa Cena' - 3 posts
CAR HIRE CHARGES.......yet again!! - 7 posts
9th of May. Europe Day. Costaluz offers a 1 year free service to entrepreneurs - 0 posts
what is the best web site advertising jobs in spain - 5 posts
Pleas join our efforts regarding proffessional liability of Banks regarding off-plan deposits - 1 posts
Any Guitar Players? - 10 posts
Administrator dictating who is used for Community works - 12 posts
Roberto, congratulations! - 12 posts
Sewing Machines and Crafting - 0 posts
Opticians in Spain - 15 posts
Describe Terrazas de la Torre - 1 posts
I'm in Heaven - 8 posts
A little word of warning - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x