Costs re: IHT and title transfer when spouse dies

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 May 2010 12:00 AM by archer40 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi,

Please can somebody advise me. One of my parents recently died leaving me to organise the trasnfer of ownership to the other and all other details -- inheritance tax, transfer of bank.

I am horrified at all the associated costs. Can anybody advise me what a resonable solicitor fee would be for this type of work.

THanks,

Like 0      
11 May 2010 1:34 PM by Elle1971 Star rating in Lanzarote. 29 posts Send private message

Elle1971´s avatar

Hi Archer - so sorry to hear of your loss.

The costs really can vary. Did your parents have a Spanish will in place?

Elle xx

Like 0      
11 May 2010 4:26 PM by gillmurcia Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

Dear Archer40,

Sorry for your loss.

Our solicitor, Adriana Perez Legal Services deals with inheritances and my friend who used her after her husband died told me that they were really efficient and the costs we kept to a minimum.

They speak really good English and reply quickly to all your emails. They can deal with everything for you and are really helpful.

Hope this helps.

Gill.

Like 0      
11 May 2010 8:53 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Archer:

Were did they have their legal domicile? Did they have properties both in the Uk and Spain? Did they leave wills either here or in the UK?

Please let us know so we can comment here on all the different possibilities. International inheritance law is a very interesting matter! sometimes almost a hyeroglyphic :)

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
11 May 2010 11:01 PM by archer40 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses.

They did have Spanish wills in place thankfully. The Spanish property was a holiday home so non-resident status applies. I have sent the death certificate with an 'apostille' so far and now seem to have quite a mounting bill for costs to transfer the property to the other name.

Is this a complicated process ie. warranting high legal fees/notary fee etc?

Advice really appreciated,

Thanks,

Like 0      
12 May 2010 8:14 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Archer40,

In order to save costs, you can pay the tax and just leave the house in the Land Registry as it is. If you wait for the other one to pass away, you will just have to pay one set of Notary and Registry fees.

Please let me know if you want to know anything else,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
12 May 2010 11:33 AM by Elle1971 Star rating in Lanzarote. 29 posts Send private message

Elle1971´s avatar

Hi there - I had a natter to our guy Ben Simkins... and he said that providing there are no outstanding problems with it that the costs would be around €1500 - €2000. €1000 for the lawyer, €500 for the notary and a couple of hundred for the land registry. Of course different lawyers fees vary... and the IHT obviously.

Good luck - and I hope it's not all too complicated and drawn out a process for you at what must be a very difficult time.

Elle xx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

leaking boiler - 0 posts
Favourite thing to eat since you moved to Spain? - 12 posts
Wanted - Long term rental in Cantoria - 4 posts
tax for none residents - 13 posts
Car Hire La Marina - 5 posts
Car Insurance renewals - 24 posts
Property sales on the increase in Spain - 13 posts
Supermarkets in Mazarron/Puerto de Mazarron - 2 posts
Garden Furniture - 5 posts
Spanish catholic query - re 'encapuchado de la Santa Cena' - 3 posts
CAR HIRE CHARGES.......yet again!! - 7 posts
9th of May. Europe Day. Costaluz offers a 1 year free service to entrepreneurs - 0 posts
what is the best web site advertising jobs in spain - 5 posts
Pleas join our efforts regarding proffessional liability of Banks regarding off-plan deposits - 1 posts
Any Guitar Players? - 10 posts
Administrator dictating who is used for Community works - 12 posts
Roberto, congratulations! - 12 posts
Sewing Machines and Crafting - 0 posts
Opticians in Spain - 15 posts
Describe Terrazas de la Torre - 1 posts
I'm in Heaven - 8 posts
A little word of warning - 4 posts
A little word of warning - 0 posts
Office furniture - 3 posts
Car Insurance Claim - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x