I'm in Heaven

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 May 2010 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

There's no harm in fantasies; everyone has them, I am led to believe. Before putting the Brutish Isles in my rear view mirror I imagined myself as a writer in Spain where awaited my pre-death Elysium. There would be no need at all for artificial heating; there would be sufficient natural warmth. The views would be lovely; the opportunities endless; everyone (nearly) would be nice to each other.

My home would be Spanish and cottage-like, with a porch (not a verandah). With the clock in the dustbin I would tap happily away as I painted pictures with words. In the background would be Beethoven's Spring Symphony. (youtube it)

Occasionally there would be a glass of ruby-red wine to hand and my companion, other than my imagination, would be a delightful wifelet; a hand-maiden. I got most of the fantasy right so dreams do come true. Keep reaching for the stars, everyone.

What's your fantasy? Did it come true for you too or are you still working your way to it?

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
08 May 2010 3:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

What's my fantasy? 

Now, Mike, that would be telling  but yes much the same as you, except we do live part time in both the UK & in Guardamar, which suits us. We are in a beautiful part of England, we're high up with incredible views. To have huge peace of mind too would be great!.

The clock in the dustbin idea is superb.  My OH tried to change his watch battery himself in Spain some months ago & the thing fell apart in his hand. He looked at watches then said he really didn't need one. (I have my watch on sometimes anyway & his mobile has the time on).

Like 0      
10 May 2010 4:50 PM by Elle1971 Star rating in Lanzarote. 29 posts Send private message

Elle1971´s avatar

We dreamed of working from home - in the sunshine of course. We knew that we wanted to work hard (be bored mindless otherwise) but without the dreaded commute. We wanted to banish the power suits to the charity shops or back of the wardrobe. We wanted a doggie to be padding around the place with a cold wet nose nudging our knees every now and again.

We didn't seek to be millionaires, or to take the world by storm... but to simply earn enough money to not worry about bills... and to maybe stretch to a seafood extravaganza at a beachfront restaurant once in a while - and maybe the odd glass of vino collapso of an evening.

We wanted to have friends over for dinner and drinkies regularly - but be able to sit outside on the terrace ANY night of the year. We wanted my asthma to be much improved, and for my bones not to ache like they did in the damp dark British winters. My asthma is now almost gone, and my bones are fine! I even go hiking now... which has helped me no end.

We too wanted to bin our alarm clocks... and indeed we did - and we haven't worn watches for some time either. We do have the time on the PC if we really need to know (to be fair that normally only reminds us that we should stop working and crack open a bottle)

We wanted hubby's kids to have a choice when they left school as to where they lived. One has already lived with us for a year. He went back to the UK to study Leisure & Tourism... but that finishes in a few weeks, and he's moving back out here to live and work. Lucky boy!

Did we get all that? Oh yes - and a whole lot more! We have two dogs instead of planning for one - and they're great lads! It's been almost four years now. I went back to the UK for a week in January... my first in 3 years - and I was reminded of how lucky we are to have a home in the Canaries.

Elle xx

Like 0      
10 May 2010 5:00 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Great post, Elle, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it & felt I was there with you.

Like 0      
10 May 2010 5:24 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

The replies bring to mind a sign I saw in a local estate agents: "You only live once. Live it right and once is enough.'  I remember a TV newsreader in an off the cuff remark, when she herself was being interviewed: 'My community is between my ears.'  I can't recall which one; only that I hadn't before liked her but that remark warmed me towards her.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
10 May 2010 5:27 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We dreamed of retiring to our dream home in the sun, though we wanted something to do to occupy ourselves.  We were buying on a golf resort, the idea being that I would part-time as a complementary therapist and John would also look for part-time work.  Not that we needed to earn money as we both had reasonable pensions to live on, but we thought we might get bored otherwise - and every extra penny helps too!

Well, the original dream home didn´t materialise (the developer went into voluntary administration - it´s a long story and if you are really interested you can read my book!

I discovered that it would cost me a lot of money to work as a complementary therapist, which would mean finding loads of clients to pay for my insurance, social security payments etc, so at the moment I am not doing reflexology or on-site massage as I had originally planned.  There is no golf course or new development for John to find part-time work either.  So are we getting bored?

On Mondays we help a friend´s 10 year old daughter with her English.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays we go to Spanish lessons.  On Wednesdays we spend one hour with a Ukrainian friend, helping her with English assignments, plus one hour with a Spanish teenager, helping him with his English,  We have also been asked to set up an intercambio de lengua. 

A Spanish street dog decided to adopt us, so we do a fair bit of walking, as well as going to the local market and to the shops.  We have made some good friends locally, both Spanish and English, so we meet friends for coffee several times a week plus we make the occasional visit to a bar for tapas and vino.

In my spare time I am now writing for several free magazines based in Spain, as well as working on my blog.  John takes our dog Lisa for a walk, or watches football on Spanish TV, while I am writing, so that keeps him out of mischief.

We have lived here for nearly two years now and although reality is nothing like our original dream, we can honestly say that we have a wonderful life here and have no regrets.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
10 May 2010 6:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Sue & John are great people. They took us to visit their local bodega  when my husband & I spent some hours with them in Jumilla, having braved two horrendous hours travelling from Guardamar on the motorways.

They both speak Spanish but let me order soup that had half a rabbits head in complete with teeth, at a Spanish bar when we had our MDDs. John & I ordered the same but ,as there was only one portion left , John chose something else, wasn't HE the lucky one?  

We met Lisa the tiny dog that was always sitting outside their apartments, she's a little sweetheart.  I'm SO pleased she's with Sue & John who love & care for her, she deserves that.

Sue, you omitted to mention your blog http://spainuncovered.com/ so I will.  

This message was last edited by morerosado on 10/05/2010.

Like 0      
10 May 2010 9:23 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Thanks, More!  To be fair, neither of us realised at the time that there are two versions of Gazpacho and unfortunately this bar was serving Gazpacho Manchego not the more widely known Gazpacho Andaluz!

I have related your "interesting" experience in an article that will be published in the summer edition of Costa Brava Magazine - "Vegetarians Guide to Surviving in Spain".  An exclusive excerpt is given below:

"A friend of ours decided to have gazpacho as a starter, assuming it was the Gazpacho Andaluz she had enjoyed before in other restaurants. More does eat meat, however she chose what she thought was a vegetarian dish for her starter.   Much to her horror the waiter brought her Gazpacho Manchego and she spotted a rabbit’s head staring up at her!" 

Fame at last!

Sue

This message was last edited by suemac on 10/05/2010.

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
11 May 2010 10:06 AM by Elle1971 Star rating in Lanzarote. 29 posts Send private message

Elle1971´s avatar

Thanks for the positive comments morerosado - starts my day on a high.

So far today I have woken up without the need for an alarm - mind you that was because I could hear strange noises coming from outside the bedroom door.... so I knew our newer younger dog was up to something - and sure enough.... as I opened the bedroom door... there he was with his tail wagging, surrounded by a sea of my chewed up brown sequinned wedges. Not that I have lots of brown wedges of course.... he'd just managed to chomp his way through a pair - and spread them all over the house!

But at least he's fully house trained now... so after letting them out in the garden for a big wee.... and then feeding them their breakfast  - I took them both out for a nice walk. The sun is shining. It looks like it will be a scorcher today - and the views across to Fuerteventura are crystal clear and stunning today!

Later on I shall stroll along the promenade to go visit a potential new client.... and then come home to carry on working at my PC. Happy days!

Oh my god - I didn't know that there was a type of gazpacho with a rabbit's head in it?! Not sure hhow I'd feel seeing it looking up at me - but I'll bet it tastes fantastic!

I've had a quick look at your website Sue - and I shall defintely pop back into it later dfor a really good look around. Give Lisa a tickle from us!

Elle xx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A little word of warning - 4 posts
A little word of warning - 0 posts
Office furniture - 3 posts
Car Insurance Claim - 4 posts
anyone got a badminton raquet to sell - 1 posts
Costaluzlawyers sponsored garden designer, Maria Luisa Medina winning in Malvern - 0 posts
Going rate for cleaner or cleaning agency? - 9 posts
Constructive problems in your new home - 5 posts
Grundig digi box - 0 posts
property transfer tax percentage? 7% or 9%? - 3 posts
Easyjet - Flights released to March 2011 - 5 posts
The Banks Cash Point Scam - 12 posts
Any information on care work in Altea? - 0 posts
freeholder going bankrupt - 0 posts
Member of staff stole deposit and agent will not pay back - 5 posts
Car storage near Murcia Airport - 0 posts
Did any thing nice happen in 1998? - 2 posts
Find History of House - 6 posts
mains water estepona - 0 posts
Health & Safety certificate - 1 posts
Car rental , Alicante Airport - 17 posts
white sky viewing card skynet? - 12 posts
Banks! Not at all user friendly - 8 posts
need help from a spanish citizen - 6 posts
Hague Apostile in the UK - Information for other would be users - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x