Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 May 2010 12:00 AM by daveyboy Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Are there any guitar players here?

Like 0      
09 May 2010 8:07 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I know of one great one: Spanish Guitar. What do you need it for?

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 09/05/2010.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
09 May 2010 8:09 AM by daveyboy Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I don't need a guitar I play guitar and would like to discuss with other guitar players.

Like 0      
09 May 2010 11:53 AM by tonynault Star rating in Stockport & Cox!. 88 posts Send private message

tonynault´s avatar

Hi, Yes I play guitar! I've played for more years than I care to remember but I can't say I'm particularly good! I've turned into more of a collector recently, much to my wife's dismay! I now own 7 guitars!! I have a BC Rich acoustic electric 6 string which is just beautiful. A guitar I bought off ebay called a Moondog, supposed to be hand crafted in China(I know its sounds rubbish, but its the sweetest, and loudest guitar I own!). Then there is a Crafter acoustic electric, which to be honest needs a bit of work on set up and is a bit disappointing. And lastly(in the acoustic range!) is the Suzuki Three S, I've had this one for more than 25 years and is still going strong!

Added to that I also play bass guitar, and I have two of them! First is a bass called a Riff? No I've never heard of it either! But it looks stunning and plays beautifully, next is a Washburn Taurus 14, which if I'm honest I only bought 'cos it had a nice practise amp with it!

Lastly is a Yamaha fender strat look-a-like 6 string electric which I play through a little practice amp which has a built in overdrive effect and sounds wicked!

Add to that I might as well tell you I have a Yamaha Alto Sax, I did have a set of drums(which had to go 'cos they were too loud!!). My brother an I used to play the pubs and clubs around the North West of England!

Well that's it! I'm hoping to take one of my acoustic's over with me to Spain and leave it in my house, but I can't make my mind up as to which one!

Tony.

Like 0      
10 May 2010 2:41 PM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

Hi Davey (and Tony), really glad you posted that! Yes I play guitar. Not sure what you're into yourself but I'd generally play electro-acoustic and do mainly irish stuff (from ballads to the wild rover!) plus beatles, eagles, clapton etc. Think I can play ok but singing (or trying to) is my downfall. I've never been in a band just done the odd song in a pub now and again. It's a dream of mine to sit at a spanish bar playing a nice ballad and singing it in spanish.. but I'm gettin on a bit now! (never say never though).

Like Tony I have a few guitars, favourite is Tanglewood TSF5 (lovely sound), also Yamaha APX-700 (12 string), a 'proper' nylon strung spanish 'Raimundo' (which I never play as have never learned classical/flamenco or to fingerpick!). Also has a really low grade Fender Strat copy but never play that anymore either. In spain I have a really crap spanish one hanging up that I paid about 10euro for at a market!   

So if you can play lead Dave, I'll do rhythm and with Tony on bass all we need now is a drummer (haha).

But seriously I'd love to compare notes (excuse the pun) with either/both of you - and anyone else that's into guitar. I'm trying (struggling) to learn the spanish lingo but feel learning spanish songs could be a great way to master it a little piece at a time.

Like 0      
10 May 2010 3:09 PM by tonynault Star rating in Stockport & Cox!. 88 posts Send private message

tonynault´s avatar

Hi Pat, 

We're almost neighbours! My place is in Cox, not far away from you. If I ever get round to taking one of my guitars out I'd love to meet up and jam around! I know what you mean about learning Spanish songs it is a good way to learn the language, I'm always listening to the Gypsy Kings in the car. The 'tinternet is really great for learning songs I wish it had been around when I was first starting out I'd certainly be a lot better player than I am!

Here's one to get you started! The chords are basic C,F,G, stuff!

Tony

La Bamba: Richie Valens

Para bailar La Bamba
Para bailar La Bamba
Se necessita una poca de gracia
Una poca de gracia
Para mi, para ti, ay arriba, ay arriba
Ay, arriba arriba
Por ti sere, por ti sere, por ti sere

Yo no soy marinero
Yo no soy marinero, soy capitan
Soy capitan, soy capitan
Bamba, bamba
Bamba, bamba
Bamba, bamba, bam

Para bailar La Bamba
Para bailar La Bamba
Una poca de gracia

(Guitar solo - Richie & instrumental)

Para bailar La Bamba
Para bailar La Bamba
Una poca de gracia
Ay, arriba arriba
Por ti sere, por ti sere, por ti sere

Bamba, bamba
Bamba, bamba
FADES-
Bamba, bamba.

English translation:

In order to dance The Bamba
In order to dance the Bamba
You need a little bit of grace
A little bit of grace
For me, for you, ah up, ah up(or higher and higher)
Ah, up, up (literally "faster, faster")
By you I will be, by you I will be, by you I will be
(Por can also mean by and not just for)

I am not a sailor, 
I am not a sailor, I am a captain
I am a captain, I am a captain
Bamba, bamba
Bamba, bamba
Bamba, bamba, bam

In order To dance The Bamba
In order To dance The Bamba
A little bit of grace
For me, for you, ah up, ah up (higher and higher)

(Guitar only - Richie and set of instruments)

A little bit of grace
For me, for you, ah up, ah up
Ah, up, up.
For you I will be, for you I will be, for you I will be
Bamba, bamba
Bamba, bamba
FADES-
Bamba, bamba.

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsty.com/lyrics/r/ritchie_valens/#share

Like 0      
15 May 2010 8:13 AM by daveyboy Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Yes Pat, I can lead! My son is a drummer!

Like 0      
15 May 2010 10:22 AM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

Well I must own up to, I'm a 'budding' guitarist having played now for just under 50 years.

I still have my very first guitar which I bought when I was 14 years old a Broadway electric. to this over the years I've added a Hustler accoustic, Arbitor electric accoustic, Audition electric, Fender Strat with beautiful hand made body,Tokai limited edition strat with a rosewood neck to die for and built in pre-amp just to test the strength of the windows, a 60's USA fender telecaster. Finally I have a Futurama II electric a twin pick up model which I think was made during the 60's for the younger player.It has a shorter neck and smaller body than a normal strat, I actually rescued this from a rubbish skip about 8 years ago and after a clean up, re- string and tinker  with the electrics plays fine, my grandchildren love it. I have had to curtail and downsize collecting due to lack of space, much to the relief of the missus, although I get very fidgetty around Gibson SG's and who knows I may succumb and slip back into bad habits in a moment of madness.

I have never played in a band due to work committments although I used to reherse with a pro country band for about 5 years. I like to play various music, Country, R & B, Rock and a tad of Heavy Metal.

My youngest son expressed an interest in playing when he was 13 so I taught him  3 basic chords and then as I'm self taught I sent him to a proffessional teacher . He is now 25 and is an excellent player (Grrrr Grrr) he has inherited my passion for collecting guitars, poor bloke.

In all taking the time to learn the guitar has served me well over the years, whether in moments of joy ,sadness, fun or sheer boredom you can pick up a guitar and chill. I would reccomend it to anyone. 

Like 0      
15 May 2010 10:59 AM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

I'm looking for a classical guitar teacher.  Elche/Orihuela area, Costa Blanca South. Anyone out there...?  Donna 

Donna

www.learntodo.co.uk (site for artists of all levels!)

Like 0      
07 Jun 2011 8:24 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

I realise that this is quite an old thread, but thought it worth mentioning that (at least in the Mojacar-Vera-Albox area) we do now have a very active group of guitar (and banjo/mandolin) enthusiasts who regularly get together for practice sessions and workshops. This is all completely non-profit, and is simply designed to provide encouragement and stimulaton for players who might be struggling on their own. Even if this is outside your area, might be worth thinking of doing something similar. We have players of all levels, from complete beginner to seasoned pros. There is even a website that lists events and upcoming sessions: www.almeriastrings.org

It can be quite off-putting if you are learning alone. Working with others in your area can help a lot. If nothing exists, why not start something? We did!

Like 0      
12 Jun 2011 3:30 PM by gerryinalbany Star rating in Albany , New York, U.... 30 posts Send private message

gerryinalbany´s avatar

I'm an old bassist does that count?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Administrator dictating who is used for Community works - 12 posts
Roberto, congratulations! - 12 posts
Sewing Machines and Crafting - 0 posts
Opticians in Spain - 15 posts
Describe Terrazas de la Torre - 1 posts
I'm in Heaven - 8 posts
A little word of warning - 4 posts
A little word of warning - 0 posts
Office furniture - 3 posts
Car Insurance Claim - 4 posts
anyone got a badminton raquet to sell - 1 posts
Costaluzlawyers sponsored garden designer, Maria Luisa Medina winning in Malvern - 0 posts
Going rate for cleaner or cleaning agency? - 9 posts
Constructive problems in your new home - 5 posts
Grundig digi box - 0 posts
property transfer tax percentage? 7% or 9%? - 3 posts
Easyjet - Flights released to March 2011 - 5 posts
The Banks Cash Point Scam - 12 posts
Any information on care work in Altea? - 0 posts
freeholder going bankrupt - 0 posts
Member of staff stole deposit and agent will not pay back - 5 posts
Car storage near Murcia Airport - 0 posts
Did any thing nice happen in 1998? - 2 posts
Find History of House - 6 posts
mains water estepona - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x