CAR HIRE CHARGES.......yet again!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 May 2010 12:00 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi all,

I hired a car through Carrentals whom I've used many before with no problems,however this time the car I hired was from Goldcar I paid in full in the UK to avoid disatrous currency rates the impose. when i picked the car up I was charged 80euros for fuel, which is outragous but on closer inspection of the receipt I notice a charge of 14euros for Diesel, now the car was petrol so I enquired what this charge was.. I couldn't believe my ears when I was told it was for oiI, they actually charged me for oil...so the total charge for fuel was 94euros....Oil what a bloody cheek I expect to be charges by the 'seat' soon or maybe 25euro for each tyre or 15euro for a wing mirror

I think these car rental firms are really taking the p**s now and I'm fed up of being ripped off everytime I go to Spain.

Like 0      
10 May 2010 1:07 PM by tech Star rating in Maidstone/Turre when.... 83 posts Send private message

Hi Sterling.

it seems that you have not seen the thread regarding Goldcar before. There has been a lot mentioned about this company and I would have thought that the best solution would be to avoid Goldcar altogether. They always add on this extra for diesel plus an overcharge for fuel and have been getting away with it for ages. I  used to use Carjet but as they always offered me a car through Goldcar which I refuse to deal with, I  have had a better deal with DYS who use AurigaCrown and so far have had no problems. They even supply a Hi-vis vest and warning triangle.

Regards.

Tech.

Like 0      
10 May 2010 2:01 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

Bravocarhire generally use Auriga Crown and Solmar who now offer full/full on most rentals over 4 days. The cost of the fuel was refunded to my credit card within 3 or 4 days of returning to UK. The last time we used Goldcar at Reus there was noone in the office when we returned the car! My husband dropped me at the airport and then drove back to their office to leave the car and ran back to the airport. Good job he is a runner and fit to do that as it is approx 1km. The  customer services phone number on the door was for the phone in the office - which was empty!!

Like 0      
10 May 2010 3:15 PM by jeb321 Star rating in Carrickfergus, N.Ire.... 454 posts Send private message

jeb321´s avatar

only thing I'd say about this is - yes Goldcar are more expensive and charge extra if you want an additional driver as well but nine times out of 10 you will get a 'nice' car ,ie low mileage and not bashed about; with Ariga though - yes it's cheaper and they throw in the additional driver for free but the car you get will have high mileage and look like its' been through the wars - that's my experience anyway of using the two out of St Javier - depends what you want at the end of the day,

Like 0      
10 May 2010 5:24 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Thanks for all your replies...yes I do no about Goldcar as I have had experience of their overcharges before. Last time I received a 30euro refund because they charged for a diesel car when I didn't ask for one!! Again I stopped using Carjet for the very same purpose,always giving me Goldcar..this time though my daughter booked and was not given the option to chose either through Carrental.

As for AurigaCrown's cars always being high milage I don't care about that or the fact that they are tatty, as long as they are road worthy that's fine by me.

I will not be using Goldcar again that's for sure.

Like 0      
10 May 2010 7:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Sterling, do you actually fly into Almeria airport or do you use Murcia, like us? If Murcia book ECONORENT through http://www.hirecarsinspain.com/ You are given a full tank fuel & you bring it back full. I understand from the website http://wwww.hirecarsinspain.com/default.cfm/loadlevel.1/loadindex.58 that now they swipe your cc so IF you don't bring it back with a full tank then they charge you, fair enough!

We understand the importance of saving money on fuel and with Econorent we have a company where you can return your car full of fuel and you will receive a full refund (a credit card swipe will be taken just in case you are unable to return the car full of fuel).

Whether it be 3 days or 33 days the same policy applies

You CAN pay  €2 Euros per day for Groups A, B & C with a maximum of €20 Euros to protect you against tyre bursts, windscreen breaking, the usual you are not covered for otherwise it's fully comp. (Check site for bigger cars as these are more per day with a higher maximum.) We ALWAYS did this when we hired cars from them (we now own our own Spanish car) as a tyre burst is common in Spain & our friends had one burst just clipping a manhole cover that wasn't flat on the road.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 10/05/2010.

Like 0      
10 May 2010 9:38 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Econorent pulled out of Murcia at the end of last month More. They are concentrating their fleet at Alicante.

Mark

Like 0      
10 May 2010 10:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hirecars should amend their website then as I looked at so much on it before posting.

SO glad we bought our own Spanish car, too much hassle renting isn't it?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

9th of May. Europe Day. Costaluz offers a 1 year free service to entrepreneurs - 0 posts
what is the best web site advertising jobs in spain - 5 posts
Pleas join our efforts regarding proffessional liability of Banks regarding off-plan deposits - 1 posts
Any Guitar Players? - 10 posts
Administrator dictating who is used for Community works - 12 posts
Roberto, congratulations! - 12 posts
Sewing Machines and Crafting - 0 posts
Opticians in Spain - 15 posts
Describe Terrazas de la Torre - 1 posts
I'm in Heaven - 8 posts
A little word of warning - 4 posts
A little word of warning - 0 posts
Office furniture - 3 posts
Car Insurance Claim - 4 posts
anyone got a badminton raquet to sell - 1 posts
Costaluzlawyers sponsored garden designer, Maria Luisa Medina winning in Malvern - 0 posts
Going rate for cleaner or cleaning agency? - 9 posts
Constructive problems in your new home - 5 posts
Grundig digi box - 0 posts
property transfer tax percentage? 7% or 9%? - 3 posts
Easyjet - Flights released to March 2011 - 5 posts
The Banks Cash Point Scam - 12 posts
Any information on care work in Altea? - 0 posts
freeholder going bankrupt - 0 posts
Member of staff stole deposit and agent will not pay back - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x