Spanish catholic query - re 'encapuchado de la Santa Cena'

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 May 2010 12:00 AM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

Nothing like a bit of variety so I don't know if anyone can satisfy my curiosity with this religious query?..

While sorting through some stuff I'd brought home from a recent visit to spain, I came across a publication from Orihuela which has pictures that have got me puzzled.. I've seen plenty of religious parades over there but never anyone hooded like some of these are!  I searched the net and have seen these garments worn in red, black or white.

As a catholic myself I feel a bit of an ignoramus!.. as I've absolutely no idea what the significance of this is?

The white in particular looks very much like what the kkk used to wear! So if anyone can explain what it's supposed to signify and where it came from I'd be grateful.

ps - looking at the float being carried I'm assuming 'La Santa Cena' is something to do with the last supper (although it doesn't directly translate that way?)

pps - this is a link to the online version of what I read (well ok, I only looked at the pictures!). Pics I'm referring to are on pages 7 and 9). http://www.activaorihuela.es/notis/portadas/activa.pdf

Thanks in anticipation.

Like 0      
10 May 2010 4:53 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

These are the Nazarenes (also called penitents) and nothing to do with the KKK!  No doubt somebody else can give you a proper explanation, however they always parade during Semana Santa, and each Cofradia wears a different coloured costume.  La Santa Cena is what we would call The Last Supper, even if it doesn´t translate literally. 

In Jumilla we spotted garments in blue, green, purple and lilac, as well as red, black and white, with several cofradias mixing and matching e.g. white costumes with black hoods, red costumes with white hoods etc

I hope somebody can add more information, especially as to the origins.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
10 May 2010 5:02 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

The Nazarene sect (ἡ τῶν Ναζωραίων αἵρεσις), is a term used to refer to the followers of Jesus. After the Crucifixion, James the Just succeeded his brother Jesus of Nazareth as the leader of the new Jewish sect which was to become Christianity.[1] It was located in and about Jerusalem and proclaimed that Jesus was the promised Messiah. The term Nazarene was first applied to Jesus.[2] After his death, it was the term used to identify the Jewish Sect that believed Jesus was the Messiah and the Son of God

Taken from Wikipedia

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
11 May 2010 11:48 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The hoods are a sign of anonymous penance.  Its origin is Seville, XIXth century.

Best regards,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CAR HIRE CHARGES.......yet again!! - 7 posts
9th of May. Europe Day. Costaluz offers a 1 year free service to entrepreneurs - 0 posts
what is the best web site advertising jobs in spain - 5 posts
Pleas join our efforts regarding proffessional liability of Banks regarding off-plan deposits - 1 posts
Any Guitar Players? - 10 posts
Administrator dictating who is used for Community works - 12 posts
Roberto, congratulations! - 12 posts
Sewing Machines and Crafting - 0 posts
Opticians in Spain - 15 posts
Describe Terrazas de la Torre - 1 posts
I'm in Heaven - 8 posts
A little word of warning - 4 posts
A little word of warning - 0 posts
Office furniture - 3 posts
Car Insurance Claim - 4 posts
anyone got a badminton raquet to sell - 1 posts
Costaluzlawyers sponsored garden designer, Maria Luisa Medina winning in Malvern - 0 posts
Going rate for cleaner or cleaning agency? - 9 posts
Constructive problems in your new home - 5 posts
Grundig digi box - 0 posts
property transfer tax percentage? 7% or 9%? - 3 posts
Easyjet - Flights released to March 2011 - 5 posts
The Banks Cash Point Scam - 12 posts
Any information on care work in Altea? - 0 posts
freeholder going bankrupt - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x