Justice issues

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Mar 2011 12:52 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Maybe Keith is in contact with EU representatives..

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Mar 2011 4:26 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

The following are a few quotes taken from a reply I received from Andrew Kinsman (parliamentary assistant to Marta Andreasen):

___________________________________________________________________________________

The non-application of justice in Spain is brought to Prime Minister Zapatero's attention regularly when the opportunity becomes available, most recently on the occasion of his last visit to the European parliament in Strasbourg.  As you will no doubt recall he took grave exception to what he was told.

To put this in context, President of the Parliament Jerzy Buzek himself wrote to Señor Zapatero in February last year, politely asking for any response to the Auken Report.  He received an extremely bland reply which entirely avoided the issues raised by the report.

According to the Bureau of Investigative Journalists, Spain is near the bottom of the league on the question of transparency surrounding structural funds, and our own investigations confirm this.

Regarding the suggestion of an EU Directive, I do not see how it could work.  The quotation in your e-mail refers to "speedy and adequate compensation for the innocent victims of real estate fraud in all member states".

Firstly this implicitly requires successful criminal proceedings to demonstrate that fraud has taken place; to pay compensation otherwise would be to pre-judge a case and brand someone a criminal without due process of law.

Secondly the question of who would pay the compensation is not mentioned - and one could be sure that the real wrongdoer had long since departed the scene by the time compensation was due to be awarded.

We know that the administration of justice is seriously lacking in several parts of Spain, especially but not solely where the land grab issue and related property issues are involved, and that the regional appeals systems are used abusively to delay resolution for British and other citizens indefinitely.

Having looked at Keith Rule's petition on bank guarantees it seems eminently sensible and effective.  However the Petitions Committee of the European Parliament needs to be added to the list of recipients.  In fact the more that goes through the Petitions Committee, the better, as it is one part of the European parliament that the Spanish government does take notice of.  Temperate and well-written individual petitions help too - they are the water dripping on a stone that wears it away.

One of our best means of tackling this is to have a good supply of examples ready to present when we have the opportunity - to demonstrate injustice, refute dishonesty and indicate the large scale of the problem. So, although of little solace to you, I thank you for having addressed me. I will take it up in a sort of black book I am compiling.

Marta is co-sponsor of a Written Declaration (the equivalent of an Early Day Motion in the UK) on abusive Spanish property issues.  This may not sound much, but her three co-sponsors are Spanish MEPs, and I understand that this is the first time that Spanish MEPs (who are elected nationally, rather than for constituencies) have co-sponsored a declaration critical of the Spanish government.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

As you can see it’s imperative that “examples ready to present” are forwarded to Marta Andreasen’s office, so please I would encourage those affected to send on your details as concisely as possible (bearing in mind temperate and well written!), and stress the fact, where applicable, that the regional appeals system appears to be abusively delaying resolution.

The email contact is as follows:

marta.andreasen-office@europarl.europa.eu

Like 0      
17 Mar 2011 10:30 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

ads,

well done, and it's good to see someone is listening!. I hope anyone with a good case will email Marta. It looks like probably our strongest chance of justice along with the petititions?.  How much longer can the Spanish government get away with ignoring the truth with so much evidence at their door?.  As for our UK MEP's?, what a waste of space!

Like 0      
17 Mar 2011 11:05 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I am aware Marta Andreasen is informed on the Bank Guarantee petition.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
17 Mar 2011 11:14 AM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Maria

Is there any way that you can strengthen our concern relating to the absuive delays that impact the resolution of cases, by using some of your own statistics gathered (i.e. number of cases won but not resolved) to act as evidence to assist Marta's written declaration, given that there are Spanish MEP's co-sponsoring her.

It is really important that we focus on the impact of delays on ALL our cases.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2011 10:48 AM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Faro,

Could you also help with some details in this regard and pass them on to Marta Andreasen at

marta.andreasen-office@europarl.europa.eu

We need all the evidence we can muster.

Thanks in anticipation.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 1:53 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Does anyone know if this latest info (see below) will further impact on the court administration? 

Government officials have also said they want to reinforce budget controls over the regional governments that control over 30% of spending in highly decentralized Spain

Do monies for the administration of justice in the courts come directly from central government or regional governments? 

Also see see http://www.theparliament.com/latest-news/article/newsarticle/former-mep-den-dover-ordered-to-pay-back-parliament-expenses/

Might this be the start of accountability for MEP's?

This message was last edited by ads on 24/03/2011.

Like 0      
28 Mar 2011 2:01 PM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

The Sunday Times has been carrying out an under-cover investigation into MEPs.  Unfortunately it's not receiving the press coverage that the British MPs expenses scandal generated. 

Can't link to ST here but yesterday's report has been mentioned in Typically Spanish:

'The Partido Popular Euro M.P. Pablo Zalba, is featured in a Sunday Times story this weekend. Reporters from the paper posed as a lobby group and offered him 100,000 € a year. They were told ‘I can change any report being prepared in the Parliament’.'......

Read more:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_29796.shtml#ixzz1HtSxWOiD

Like 0      
28 Mar 2011 3:23 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Thanks Suzie.

I hope you don't mind but I will repeat my previous question and would be grateful for information from anyone in the know

Do monies (resources) for the administration of justice in the courts come directly from central government or regional governments? 

Like 0      
28 Mar 2011 4:21 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

The Administration of Justice is funded by the Central Government out of the National General Budget.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2011 1:09 PM by belucky358 Star rating in North Yorkshire. 197 posts Send private message

Hi,

It looks like our MEPs may be doing some good for once., at least Mr. Cashman is supporting change to the Spanish justice system.

AUAN Petition in Brussels
Monday 11 April 2011 - 21:30:04
A petition about urban planning abuse in Spain submitted to the EU Petitions Committee by the AUAN is to be heard on Thursday, the 14th of April in Brussels.
AUAN President Maura Hillen has been invited to speak to the committee to put forward the case of innocent homeowners who, having bought their property in good faith, are now faced with the loss of their home without hope of compensation or who live without electricity and water or who face having to pay their developers' debts.
" These abuses contravene the EU Treaty and the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights and these laws must be respected and complied with by Spain ", argues Mrs Hillen.
Labour MEP Michael Cashman has been a long-time supporter of victims of Spanish property abuse and will be welcoming the petitioners at the European Parliament.
"I have literally received thousands of letters and emails from people, across Europe, who are affected by the many property-related problems in differing parts of Spain. This week we will once again shed the light on these scandals and support the courageous victims who have brilliantly organised themselves against never-ending abuses", said the West Midlands MEP.
Helen Prior, whose home was demolished in 2008 by the regional government of Andalucia, will also address the committee in support of this petition. Helen and Len Prior currently live in their converted garage whilst fighting for compensation through the courts.
As it is the case for thousands of others, the Spanish court system has not produced any results for the petitioners.
"Commission.We, in the European Parliament, from all the different parties, have been calling for years for solutions to these scandalous problems ranging from a moratorium on new urbanisations and demolitions to infringement cases from the European  However, nothing can be done without the cooperation of the Spanish national and regional governments. It is high time for the victims to be compensated and we will keep up the pressure

This message was last edited by belucky358 on 12/04/2011.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2011 1:14 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

belucky358

I wonder how this all went?  

Good to see we have at least one MEP with the balls to speak up for those so badly cheated. If he can do it then why not all the others?.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2011 1:40 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

For those interested see http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_30115.shtml, an article just published relating to the AUAN Statement to EU Petitions Committee 14th April 2011 [1] which includes relevant you-tube footage.

In particular I would bring attention to these references

[12] Treaty on the Functioning of the EU, article 169 (page 124) states that “….to ensure a high level of consumer protection, the Union shall contribute to protecting the health, safety and economic interests of consumers …”

[19] Article 17 (page 395) of the Charter states that “No one may be deprived of his or her possessions, except in the public interest and in the cases and under the conditions provided for by law, subject to fair compensation being paid in good time for their loss.”.

[20] Also right to equality (article 20, page 395); non-discrimination (article 21, page 396); consumer protection (article 38, page 399), right to justice (art 47, page 401).

and I would ask the questions:

• Is the Spanish legal system in line with all European standards?
  • Have those fighting within the Spanish legal system been compensated “in good time for their loss”?
  • Where is the consumer protection for those who have won their legal cases for breach of contract (or any other legal case for that matter), but are being denied recompense as per those judgements due to abusive delays that prohibits the application of justice and  lack of adherence or non existence of reasonable timescale constraints upon the process of Spanish law?

This message was last edited by ads on 18/04/2011.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2011 7:45 PM by CardiffIan Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

I saw this report at the weekend about Jose Blanco's roadshow in London on May 4th.  At one point it says that he is going to stress the strengths of the economy, the transparency and the judicial security of the housing legislation. Is he really talking about Spain? I certainly haven't seen much judicial security.  (En Londres, "pondremos en valor las fortalezas de nuestra economía, la transparencia y la seguridad jurídica de nuestra legislación urbanística", ha subrayado Blanco.)

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2011/04/14/suvivienda/1302772316.html

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Justice issues - 0 posts
Ash cloud Back - 1 posts
Spanish registered car - 3 posts
Check the news, the ash cloud's back, certain airports closed or closing - 11 posts
Architect in Granada - 0 posts
Power of attorney - 13 posts
wedding - 6 posts
NIE by POA - 12 posts
Schooling - 1 posts
renting a space in a hotel - 4 posts
Help! How do I remove mould/mildew from a sofa? - 7 posts
medina de banus - 0 posts
medina de banus - 0 posts
Guardamar - Playa Los Tusales - 0 posts
Just curious..... - 138 posts
Schools in/around Manilva - 0 posts
Bank charges - 4 posts
i need to swap my rhd for lhd. - 1 posts
Greece seals rescue deal with EU and IMF - 2 posts
Bus trips to Gibraltar - 14 posts
does any one know were i can buy a jet ski from - 3 posts
amber pools - 6 posts
Pets - 10 posts
Hola from Madrid - 9 posts
buyer or seller to pay yearly IBI? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 34

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x