Tower cranes

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by kez74 Star rating in cheshire. 50 posts Send private message

kez74´s avatar

Just wondered if anyone knew if any British firms had contracts in Spain for tower crane operators as this is what my partner does at present in England he also drives jcbs..........He made some enquires here about tower crane work in Spain but can not seem to find much out.

Any information would be most welcome...........

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 12:48 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Kez74 (again) LOL!

Not sure if i have my facts right here, but our apartment overlooks a building site at present (where is Spain doesn't)!

I asked my Son in Law who was driving the cranes as there was no box for the man to sit in.

He laughed his head off and told me they are controlled from the ground, they don't have the men up top.

So, if this is the case throughout Spain, then I can understand why you can't find any info. on tower crane operators.

I am sure if I am wrong, one of the other members will put me right!

Regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 1:01 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 1:07 PM by kez74 Star rating in cheshire. 50 posts Send private message

kez74´s avatar

Well i can not speak for tower crane operators in Spain but here there is...well it is like a glass box that the operator sits in...my partner sits in one everyday that is 280ft in the air...... there is a banks man on the ground telling the driver where he needs to move to (up down etc)  look really hard and u will see a little cab with a man in it... it is usually where the vertical and horizontal part of the crane meet..........very scary job..takes my partner 30 minutes to climb up to his cab..........dont know how he can get up it...i hate standing on a ladder!!!!  

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 6:13 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hi Kerri,

It's true, we don't seem to have any of those type of cranes here in Spain, where the controller actually has to climb up a ladder and sit alone in a glass box for hours on end. There's a definite preference for the type where the controller can sit comfortably at a cafe in view of his crane, have a fag and a coffee and chat to his mates, whilst using a box of buttons to twirl potentailly lethal objects like concrete blocks around above our heads. It also avoids the need to come all the way back down again for siesta, only to have to go up again.

On a serious note, I believe these guys nevertheless do have to hold a valid licence to control a crane, and probably be members of the union too. The local labour office wherever you are moving to may be able to shed more light on the subject, but unless your partner speaks fluent Spanish, I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 6:21 PM by kez74 Star rating in cheshire. 50 posts Send private message

kez74´s avatar

Thanks very much for that.... he does work away from home with his job at the moment and will probably continue to do so when we have moved to spain........it was just a thought really......cant believe that they controls those things from the ground.........having said that i can not believe that people sit up in them either...........but if one was going to fall i know where i would rather be..........lol...

Do any British firms have contracts out in Spain for any construction work or is it all Spanish firms.?

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 6:39 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Kerri

My dad also did the same as your partner and it used to worry my mum no end...anyway from what i see they are all controlled from the ground and unless he can speak fluent Spanish i would expect it might be difficult. Can you imagine a bucket load of concrete on a wire 100 foot from the ground being controlled by your partner and then something goes wrong!!!  hate to be a doom merchant but competent  Spanish must be a must.  Good luck...its worth the effort.

Regards

John

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 6:57 PM by manilvajl Star rating in Manilva as much as p.... 426 posts Send private message

They are radio controlled so the controller can get close to where the action is and lower/move the payload near him with full view, therefore in theory much safer. Also it would be very hot up there in a glass sided cab. Also means when not operating the crane he can do other tasks. On a small site the foreman/site manager is often the crane operator as the crane is not in operation continuosly.

Taylor Woodrow build in Spain.

Jeff

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 7:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"On a small site the foreman/site manager is often the crane operator as the crane is not in operation continuosly."

Absolutley spot on, and therefore a potentially useful guy to know. I actually got to know the operator/foreman on a new site behind where I live, and as a result was able to get in touch with the developer before anybody else in the area knew who it was or what was being built (plans etc.) And as a result of that contact, I was able to snap up one of the plum aticos that normally are all reserved by family and friends of the developer before the general public get a look in. And as a result of that, I was able to realise a decent profit by flipping it, before the developer had even managed to sell many of the less desirable properties in the building.

The moral of the story is: Be nice to crane operators (or - it's not what you know, rather who you know!)

P.S. I'm sure Kerri is always nice to her crane operator!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 7:59 PM by kez74 Star rating in cheshire. 50 posts Send private message

kez74´s avatar

Thanks for all the information.............It certainly would be hot up there...it was bad enough here for him over the easter weekend...............he was cooking up there..........

I am always nice to my tower crane operator lol........to be honest i am just glad he gets home safe each night.....and it would appear that if he wants to continue this line of work in Spain he is going to have to get learning Spanish otherwise he wil have to work away from home (as i hope it will be one day)

Again thank you for all your help.........its a fantastic site.....x

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Is this idea realistic? - 3 posts
Bank Guarantee. - 4 posts
Consider this before buying in Spain - 28 posts
Aifos running out of money - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
Furniture packages: Value for money?? - 28 posts
STILL AWAITING HABITATION LICENCE - 3 posts
DUMP FOR OFF TOPIC COMMENTS - 16 posts
MORE ARRESTS IN MARBELLA - 5 posts
Atlas international - 21 posts
help!! confused!! - 16 posts
any opinions on Formentera del Segura ? - 94 posts
Removals costs - 14 posts
Great Places to Walk Dogs - 2 posts
When will we have our garage? - 5 posts
Albondon - 7 posts
Albondon - 0 posts
Mosquito Eaters - 20 posts
Lake vinuela - 8 posts
telephone and boardband - 4 posts
Help with route/car - 17 posts
The Smiley & Rixxy (& friends) outlet, go for it .. in here guys. - 54 posts
Tell me the truth. - 5 posts
Urban Leonardo Da Vinci La Zenia Phase 2 - 0 posts
Air Conditioning - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x