Mosquito Eaters

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by Fruit Star rating in Costa Calidia - Murc.... 74 posts Send private message

Fruit´s avatar

Hi anyone...... we are having a big problem at the moment with mosquitoes, and I am lead to belive you can get something called a '' mosquito eater''. I understand they are available in Spain and wondered if anyone knew where I can get one. We have the grandchildren comming soon and would hate their visit to be spoilt throught these pests. We are in the Murcia / Mar Manor area...ta very much

This message was last edited by Fruit on 4/16/2007.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2007 6:47 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2007 6:51 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
We don't have any problems with mosquitoes at the moment.  When they do start getting hungry we just tend to buy the plug-ins which are really good and it keeps them at bay.  Cheap and cheerful solution.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
16 Apr 2007 7:19 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I can't believe my first post on the general forum since we returned from Duquesa on Saturday, is about Mosquito Eaters!!  And I must admit, I thought your post, Janice, was a 1950's ad from the states!!!  Where do you find this info??  And nice to "read" you again!!

We had a real mosquito problem while we were there, probably due to lots of rain (**!!), which resulted in the second night of us being there with me being bitten on the back of my knee and ending up with the most painful, black, massive bruise!!!  No itching, just a massive, swollen bruise!  Never experienced that before, from Singapore to Dubai to London!!

Anyway, we just bought the plug-in liquid bottle things, that Justin suggests, that you can get anywhere and they seemed to work fine!  No need to spend zillions of cents, in my opinion.  But those mozzies are lethal down there!  Giant size too!!  Don't know about where you are, but ours took a good thick magazine to squash!!!

So, nice to be back online chaps!!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 4/16/2007.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 2:07 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 8:07 AM by Fruit Star rating in Costa Calidia - Murc.... 74 posts Send private message

Fruit´s avatar
Hi Janice and EOS...hope this post works tried loads of times last night with no joy. Anyway the 1st picture you put up is what I'm looking for, it's for the outside, and I was hopeing that I could get one localy or in the UK. The other information on the Australian products was very interesting and will look into that today...time permitting. As for the plug-ins, we don't have a problem inside as we have mosquito nets at all the windows, so they are not required. Still have time so hopefully someone might come up with somethings... Thanks all

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 9:54 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Hi Fruit

This doesn't work for everyone and there have been different reports as to whether the 'science' behind this can work, but I've used these for years and find them very useful especially anywhere outside and particularly for young children.  However, it does not work for my son who is 25.  No idea why me and not him - I get bitten to death without them.  One year with 30 bites down one shin ! 

They are small battery operated devices, about the size of a disposable cigarette lighter.  They have a clip and can be put on to belt, hats, in pockets etc.  I won't go outside in the evning without one.  I keep a few in the house.  One on an outside table also does the trick when eating outside at night (for me).

They emit a high pitched sound supposedly of a pregnant mosquito. Apparently males won't come near a pregnant mosi so it keeps them at bay - not sure about other females??  Anyway, once you get used to the sound it's ok.

They used to be in pen shape and worn around the neck for adults, but I haven't found these for years.  The one I'm describing is sold mostly for children and the only place I can get these is in the pharmacy.  In summer pharmacies usually have them on display as part of their anti- mosi selection.  If not, they are happy to order them in for you.  Last year they were about 12 euros each in Pilar.

Best wishes.

Jane

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 10:02 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

The mosquito eaters are used widespread in Scotland. They are available in the UK.  They are not cheap but very effective. My cousin has one.  They live right on the Lochside!!   They are machines placed outside and emit a sound to cover a considerable radius.

Jeansis, 100% agree with the Australian Tea Tree products. I NEVER go away without the oil! The deodorant has no alumnium in it . (Aluminium in deodorants is said to be carcinogenic. It can get into breast tissue) I love the smell of T Tree...but not everyone does...especially the mossies.!

This message was last edited by Tish on 4/17/2007.

Opps..bad spelling!

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 10:51 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi

where do you get this australian tea tree oil? I would like to get some =. Can you get it at the body shop?

Tina x

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 11:22 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Janice (jeansis) gave an online link. I buy it at a beauty therapist ( Body Lotion excellent for preventing ingrown hairs after leg waxing!) Or LLoyds Chemist stock it. (SE England) I don't think boots do. Only the AUSTRALIAN  brand is 100% pure. (Green/Grey labeling)

Not available at the body shop.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 11:35 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 11:38 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 3:28 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

'QVC' on TV and on line also sell this range.

Julia

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 3:46 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 3:57 PM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

Hi all thanks for all the info. Will go on that web site now Janice. We fly out on Monday, but hopefully will get some in time. I ALWAYS get bitten to death. They never touch John, the B....Y things fly past him to get to me. I know "they only go for bad meat"!!!

I always have to take a plug in thing and Jungle Formula repellant, which really stinks!!!  My family walk a bit in front cos of the smell. I had been told  mossies love perfume , so I just dont take any with me now.Then I have to take the after bite cream just in case.

Mossies have ruined many a holiday for me as every time one manages to get to me through my barriers, it comes up like an extra leg or arm!! Gosh I hate the things so much. When we went to the Maldives, I spent the time we were watching the lovely sunsets, spraying repellant on myself and covering my legs and arms Ha Ha, soooo romantic for John!!

I will try anything to stop them getting me, so thanks again I am off to look on the websites!

Trish

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 5:43 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi janice / Tish & all

Thanks for that, i shall place an order. People say wild horses couldnt drag them back to the UK but what about huge swarms of Mozzys?

Cheers

Tina xxx

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 11:33 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

You are right Janice your outlet is a lot cheaper!

Julia

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 7:17 AM by Fruit Star rating in Costa Calidia - Murc.... 74 posts Send private message

Fruit´s avatar

Hi  again all...thanks for all the information, have managed to sourse a machine that will take care of the garden on amazon, so will be looking into that, also looking into the clip on thing that Atico sugested and will be ordering the tee-tree oil too.....perhaps i can run a market research on all these products. Anyway all information has been greatfully received...Many thanks again.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 12:06 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
06 Jul 2008 10:16 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Can anyone help. 
Fot the last 4-5 years I have been using Avon skin so soft cream (soft and fresh) to
stop me being bitten alive by moskies. They do not stock  the cream now so have changed over 
to the oil, it is not working as good for me as I am now being bitten again and the
itching is driving me nuts.
Can anyone advise as to products I can buy in Spain for
1, To prevent being bitten.
2. If bitten what to use to stop itching and heal bites..

Also any advise as to what I can buy when I next go to England, but need spanish 
products for the moment as am in spain for the next few months.

ALL REPLIES APPRECIATED  

coolyes

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lake vinuela - 8 posts
telephone and boardband - 4 posts
Help with route/car - 17 posts
The Smiley & Rixxy (& friends) outlet, go for it .. in here guys. - 54 posts
Tell me the truth. - 5 posts
Urban Leonardo Da Vinci La Zenia Phase 2 - 0 posts
Air Conditioning - 0 posts
Antequera - 1 posts
Nature Caravaca de la Cruz - 0 posts
Mark Bond - 0 posts
NEED A NIGHT OUT SOOOON! - 48 posts
Koi in Spain - 20 posts
early repayment of mortgage - 16 posts
Self Cert Mortgages - 35 posts
Marbella Rugby Championship - proud mum posting! - 29 posts
anyone seen my kids? abducted and taken to porta banus - 5 posts
Parking - 2 posts
My driving license has hit a brick wall! - 28 posts
BEWARE!!! EXCESS BAGGAGE - 32 posts
candymar los pacos fuengirola - 0 posts
Completion Works On New Developments - 7 posts
purchased in 2001 and still not finished - 4 posts
Mast for Broadband and Landline phones. - 5 posts
Offset Mortgages - 3 posts
FRAUDULENT MORTGAGE BROKER NICKED AT NOTARY - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x