Driving to Costa Del Sol

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Feb 2010 12:00 AM by Rob W Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I am going on ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao in April and then driving down to Costa Del Sol.

This is the first time I have done this.

Does anyone have any words of advice?

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 2:56 PM by cazzy Star rating in Inland Andalucia. 180 posts Send private message

It's easy we do it on a regular basis, only a couple of roads once you are out of Bilbao. It takes us about 9 hours.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 4:43 PM by wardy Star rating in San luis de sabinill.... 33 posts Send private message

What are the costs for such a trip? Me and the other half have been thinking of doing the trip just for a change of jumping on a plane.

Paul

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 5:59 PM by p11cne Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi, Just came back from murcia yesterday, via driving we did the murcia to Bilbao and it was quite easy nothing to worrie about the drive will take 8hours with small stops at a speed of 80Mph the limit on the spanish roads is 70mph and the roads are excellent. we by the drove all the way back to Manchester from Murcia via Bilbao.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 8:04 PM by Rob W Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies.

Wardy. I can only tell you that the return ferry crossing for 2 adults and a car with P&O on Pride of Bilbao is £498.( P&O are stopping this route after Sept 2010.) Then there is fuel and and toll road costs.

What about toll costs or can you get there ok without using toll roads?

Also does can anybody recommend a hotel near Bilbao as on the way back we will travel up the day before as ferry leaves Bilbao at 13.00pm 

Thanks again

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 9:12 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I stayed at the Sercotel Gran Bilboa a week ago. Fabulous joint. Huge modern room and the biggest bathroom I've ever been in.

They opened two months ago and obviously need the business badly. A double was 52 euros. Breakfasts were 10 euros each - but a huge buffet. Very secure underground parking in the hotel basement was 11 euros. The hotel is very easy to find, huge signage. It is a five minute walk from light railway stop - which takes you right through the town, (and stops outside the Gug) and buses stop outside the front door. It is a ten minute stroll to the old town.

I just checked their website and see the price has gone up in the last week from 52 to 55 euros. It's still a steal.

http://www.hotelgranbilbao.com

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 10:01 PM by bodyworker Star rating in By the Mar menor. 34 posts Send private message

Hi Rob,

It is a great experience to drive down, it's even better if you have a comfy car..

Don't forget the headlight converters, warning triangle and safety jackets for all people travelling in the car etc

My advice is get a up to date easy to understand road map, specific to the region in which you are travelling, and it will help if your co pilot can map read a little...sat nav is worth taking as a back up guide as well.

It is a fun trip providing you take your time chill out and enjoy the ride.  Forget the motorway on the 1st section down to Madrid its so boring instead go through the Cantabrian mountain range  and villages it really is worth doing.  It will take considerably longer but who cares, you are on your hols.

No problem with the hotels an b&b there are plenty to suit, normally I start having a look about 6.00pm and you may find somewhere you like  after a few stops.  Dont leave it to say  9 at night as some of them do get booked up depending on the days etc.

Good luck with the drive down.

Hasta luego

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 10:40 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

According to the Michelin site, Bilbao to Malaga should take about 9 and half hours if you don't have breaks.  The tolls work out about 30 euros.  The "pretty" route takes about 14 hours with no tolls.

The "economical" route about 11 hours, again with no tolls.

This is a good site to do your initial planning 

Like 0      
16 Feb 2010 7:45 PM by Angell Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Far better to sail from Plymouth to Santander then drive down through the country west of Madrid staying off at as many plces that you have time for, Zamora, Salamanca, Avila, Toledo, Granada or Cordoba, wonderful.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2010 1:20 AM by Suzi Star rating in La Cala de Mijas. 23 posts Send private message

Suzi´s avatar

My husband and I have driven down to our home in Mijas Costa several times and make a 'road trip' of it.  We take the Channel Tunnel train from Folkestone to Calais (very cheap and only 35 minutes crossing).  Then we stop off one night in France and one night in Northern Spain - our favourite place is Buitrago a lovely, old walled town north of Madrid.  Diesel costs us about 300 euros and, of course, hotel costs to factor in.  It makes a wonderful start to our holiday!

Like 0      
16 Jul 2010 1:54 PM by cuadra Star rating. 85 posts Send private message

We're driving from the Bilbao port to Gibraltar in August with 2 kids, ages 6 and 3. We want to take it easy, maybe 2-3 overnight stops each way. With having the kids, is it best to book the overnight stops in advance to be certain of getting somewhere, or are there plenty of places and we shouldn't worry?

Does anyone have any favourite hotels/hostals on this route?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish weather at Valentines's Day.... - 2 posts
household items for sale - 13 posts
Caretaker - an Angel from Heaven....... - 0 posts
Electric company contact details - 6 posts
Scotsman gives a tip to removal company - 0 posts
Which code do I use, Justin & HOW? - 4 posts
Looking for an apartment to rent - 6 posts
Andalucia to UK - 0 posts
Stelios and O'Leary...At each others throats...Again... - 3 posts
Wanted: 3 month let in S.Valencia - ASAP - 1 posts
Second Hand Furniture in Murcia Region - 0 posts
mariadecastro - 4 posts
La Cala Procession - 1 posts
Pure Breed horse and donkey company in severe problems, please help! - 3 posts
HELP - what do I need to be prepaired? - 2 posts
White goods wanted MM02 - 0 posts
Looking for a beautiful holiday apartment in Marbella area? - 0 posts
mobile phones - 4 posts
Nursing and care staff wanted – Costa del Sol - 2 posts
Selling email addresses? - 1 posts
Animal Cruelty - 1 posts
Replacement Repsol Gas Bottles for Calpe area - 3 posts
art in spain? - 0 posts
Bichon Frise breeder - 0 posts
Deposit for a private purchase? who holds it - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x