Payment of Ryan Air flights with Prepaid Mastercard

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jan 2010 12:00 AM by yvonnebarton Star rating in Rickmansworth, Herts.... 27 posts Send private message

Now that Visa Electron is no longer accepted by Ryan Air without incurring charges, has anyone found a Prepaid Mastercard that doesnt have a monthly fee and doesnt charge for use in the UK? 

I have a CaxtonFX card which is great when in Spain as I was able to take money out of the ATM without paying any fees but when I booked some flights I was charged £1.50.  OK, so that isnt too bad but I really would prefer not to have to pay even that!

Any ideas?

Like 0      
06 Jan 2010 12:10 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

I  guess the 1-50 was charged by Caxton for making a sterling transaction on a euro card, to get round this just pay for the flights in euros.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2010 12:55 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

Escape card available from phones4u on line costs £9.99 to buy(online but £19.99 in store)  but no monthly fee or transaction charges.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2010 3:57 PM by yvonnebarton Star rating in Rickmansworth, Herts.... 27 posts Send private message

You're right Team GB but how do I manage to pay by euros????  Have looked and looked at Ryan Air web site but cant work it out!

Like 0      
06 Jan 2010 5:01 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi -  You could try Ryanair's spanish site.  They are offering 1 million seats for 4€ today!

Like 0      
06 Jan 2010 5:28 PM by smivs Star rating in Oldham - Jardin 2,.... 700 posts Send private message

smivs´s avatar

I also have just got myself the Escape card from phones 4 U   brill and easy peasy, bought it from the local shop costs £19.99 but that includes £10 prepaid on the card so only costs £9.99 per year then free transactions.  Card was activated by the shop and I used it last night for first time (same day I got it) worked a treat no probs!!  saved £30 last night in fees so its already paid for itself

Jackie  
Member of the Girls Gold Buggie Club !!!

Like 0      
06 Jan 2010 5:38 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I've just had a look at this because when I book with easyjet i'm sure I get the option to pay in euros at the last screen, or as Caire says you can always use the .es version of the site to pay in euros. Not so it appears with Ryanair, if you book an outbound flight from a british airport the price comes up in GDP and it seems you can't change it,this is also the case using .es still in GBP if the outbound is from the uk.

If you book the outbound from euroland you then pay in euros, not much help really for most brits unless you need a return ticket only.

S

Like 0      
06 Jan 2010 5:58 PM by yvonnebarton Star rating in Rickmansworth, Herts.... 27 posts Send private message

I've seen the option to pay euros with Easy Jet but as you say cant find it with Ryan Air.........................

Do you have to pay to load up the Escape card?

Thanks to all for responses.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2010 9:02 PM by Ted H Star rating in Purley and jardin 13.... 458 posts Send private message

Caxton charge the £1.50 for a sterling transaction on their GBP card, they do not charge on transactions overseas, as they make their money on the fx conversion.  That said, card is free, so weigh it up, basically if you do less than 7 UK transactions, then it still beats the card charging £9.99 - I haven't found any cheaper, and have done some searching!

Ted

Like 0      
06 Jan 2010 10:41 PM by smivs Star rating in Oldham - Jardin 2,.... 700 posts Send private message

smivs´s avatar

No good for me Ted I do far more transactions the 7 I try to make it my business that I get to Spain at least every month just to keep me going!!!!!!!  lol   This work lark does get in the bloody way though.........!!!

Jackie  

Like 0      
07 Jan 2010 11:12 AM by JT4u Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi All

My name is John and I am the Marketing Manager for Escape Prepaid Cards.

I hope that you'll be pleased to hear that at the beginning of March we are launching a new prepaid card specifically aimed at international owners and travellers. This card can be loaded with sterling, euros or dollars and there are no usage fees when abroad, cash withdrawal and card transactions are free when overseas.

There are many other benefit stoo of course.

I trust this is of interest to you, i'll try and post again to let you know we've launched.

Thanks

John

Like 0      
07 Jan 2010 2:22 PM by smivs Star rating in Oldham - Jardin 2,.... 700 posts Send private message

smivs´s avatar

Thanks John that would be of interest, hopefully if you have already paid the annual fee you could just transfer it to the new card or is that asking too much????

Jackie  

Like 0      
07 Jan 2010 8:12 PM by Chris&Julie Star rating in Dublin . 82 posts Send private message

Chris&Julie´s avatar

Hi John, are these cards available in Ireland ?

Julie

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

covers for mattresses - 3 posts
Re-registering English Car in Spain - 6 posts
Nead a cleaner? - 0 posts
Reyes Fuengirola - 2 posts
Free 6 Week Self-Defence Course - 0 posts
Bits of paper required to obtain Padron ? - 3 posts
Spanish Tax - 8 posts
work - 5 posts
IVA to go up to 18% - 22 posts
Wrong colour paper NIE number - 17 posts
driving instructor wanted :) - 0 posts
Spanish mortgage offer - valuations? - 4 posts
Is it me? - 3 posts
child tax credit - 3 posts
Moving To Valencia W. My Dog - 4 posts
How can I sell my house od Granada? - 3 posts
Which urbanisations on Orihuela Costa should I avoid? - 1 posts
cases xalo sl - 1 posts
Which urbanisations on Orihuela Costa should I avoid? - 5 posts
AVE High Speed Line - 7 posts
Laundry service in San Javier - 0 posts
Happy new year from Cleanasec - 0 posts
Wanted curret update on Arenal Phase 4 - 1 posts
Daily / weekly parking charges in the Focona car park La Linea / Gibraltar border - 5 posts
Barajas Madrid Airport - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x