Spanish Economic Crisis

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Dec 2009 9:57 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

To be honest I cannot see Spain, or indeed any other, country splitting from the Euro.  Consider it as the 'United States of Europe'.

It's just a shame that this damm fool country did not join too but instead sat on the fence.

Stong EU countries such as Germany and France cannot, and will not, let weaker countries fail or the whole of Europe would be put in jeopardy.  I really cannot see this happening.

I just wish our stupid Government would finally commit to Europe properly and thus support it instead of dipping in and out at a whim.  We have, rightly or wrongly, come this far so now to talk of pulling out of Europe is just a joke.  Sorry slightly off topic!

Can i get off my soap box now

Ps. I agree that now is an excellent time to buy in Spain if you wish to buy a holiday home or wish to live in Spain.  But proceed with caution and only buy completed houses on completed complexes or resale property (in my humble opinion).  The prices look to me as near as dammit as low as they are going to get (again in my humble opinion).  But please dont buy for investment! and please dont overstretch yourselves.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2009 7:43 PM by Homefinder Star rating in Moraira. 36 posts Send private message

Homefinder´s avatar

Answering TP1's comments:

I can promise you that there is a lot of talk in financial circles about a possible breakup of the Eurozone.
However opinions vary and some say, like you,  that the stonger economies will be prepared to bail out the weaker in order to further the idea of a strong Euro to replace the USA dollar.
Nevertheless the European community would insist on taking the defaulting countries into "administration" as far as the bail-out package is concerned. The big question is: Would countries like Spain and Greece submit to this loss of control over fiscal policy?

I am not convinced that they would. The other options they would have is an IMF bailout but they would have to leave the Euro of course. Ireland seems to be getting its act together with the new budget. Someting has to happen as far as the others are concerned but who can say how it will pan out in the end.

An interesting comment from an article at http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1018682.shtml which places Spain at the top of the "misery list" -

"Moody's, the international ratings agency has ranked Spain as top of its Misery Index  - a metric which adds a country's fiscal deficit and the unemployment rate - and Ireland gets a fourth ranking.
Spain, is followed by Latvia, Lithuania, Ireland, Greece and the UK. The US is eighth - just after Iceland.
The original “misery index”  - an addition of inflation and the unemployment rate  - was invented by economist Arthur Okun in the 1970’s while he was a scholar at the Brookings Institution in Washington DC. Previously he had served as a member of President Lyndon Johnson’s Council of Economic Advisers and a professor at Yale."

Probably the most informative artice is from the Financial Times - Will rising debt cause a Eurozone breakup?
OK, even the FT writers are not always right but I am just saying that a Eurozone breakup is being discussed seriously. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Homefinder

Like 0      
17 Dec 2009 10:27 PM by PMillsom Star rating in Midlands. 469 posts Send private message

PMillsom´s avatar

Bill,

you asked "If Spain splits in some way from the Euro (even to a Zonal Euro rate) how will I fare?"

The advantage of Spain exiting the Euro would be  for them to run a devalued local currency to improve their competitive advantage.

Thus running costs for Brits  that are paid from Sterlng income (Pounds) will be lower (probaby by 15 to 20%).

The effect would an increase in tourism and perhaps inward investment as it would lower the cost of acquiring Spanish property.

But for anyone wishing to de-invest there is the downside of lower net Sterling yield.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Greece in Trouble : Riots and 'Bankrupt' - 8 posts
El diario de un Perro... - 0 posts
canceling telefonica - 6 posts
Looking for Sid and Dot - 2 posts
JustAnswer.com - Is it a Scam? - 5 posts
Banks! Partners in Crime - 6 posts
Web designer Costa del Sol - 5 posts
youtube - advice welcomed - 2 posts
Banks! Partners in Crime - 3 posts
New year´s eve in Spain - 2 posts
Rip-Off Short-Sighted Costa Blanca News - 2 posts
An Entertainment / What's On Thread? - 0 posts
calais to nerja. - 2 posts
Disability Aids Rental - 0 posts
Christmas In Spain? - 18 posts
Security gates, window grills ramps, anything metal. - 0 posts
Buying a car in UK on Spanish plates then driving over to Spain - 3 posts
New member - 3 posts
Car Hire for New Year - 1 posts
cuality service - 0 posts
Community TV issues & installers - BE AWARE - 0 posts
Earn 10€ a Lead - 3 posts
Iberdrola / New power limiters / law - 27 posts
Monarch flights to Murcia from Manchester - 10 posts
brown v cameron - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x