Banks! Partners in Crime

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Dec 2009 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

It is happening far too often for it to be dismissed as isolated: A lady has her bank cards stolen and goes straight to the BBVA bank to cancel them. They will not do so without a denuncia obtained from the Guardia Civil. By the time the victim gets it and returns the thieves have siphoned off 1,200€. The bank is not interested. It is her loss. Tough!

It happened to a friend of mine when her card was cloned and used at cash points in cities she had never heard of, let alone visited. She lost about 1,000€. Again the bank wasn’t interested. Tough! They stopped all her direct debits until she had replaced the money. Her son baled her out.

A newspaper reporter tells me it is commonplace. A police officer told another friend it is such a common crime that it seems everyone knows people who have fallen victim to the thieves – and the couldn’t care less banks. In no cases will the banks be helpful if your card is cloned, stolen and misused. In fact they will be obstructive.

My advice: Don’t deposit funds in excess of your direct debits. If you are lucky enough to have an excess then for goodness sake keep it in cash and hide it well.The banks are financed by the interest they make on our deposits. If customers withdrew all but the bare minimum they might think twice about assisting the Mafia.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
09 Dec 2009 12:28 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

Do you think the same applies to Barclays International accounts? 

Like 0      
09 Dec 2009 12:34 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I am not sure, Nicola. What we all know is that when a bank screws up it is a nightmare trying to get them to sort matters out. I should have suggested that it might be a better idea to keep most of one's money in a British bank account. To then transfer it to a Spanish bank - only when it is needed to cover bills.

The British banks are far better regulated and much more accountable. In the UK you have a remedy; here in Spain you clearly do not. Good luck!

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
09 Dec 2009 12:37 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

Thanks Mike.......... I find  your tips really useful........ keep them coming

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New year´s eve in Spain - 2 posts
Rip-Off Short-Sighted Costa Blanca News - 2 posts
An Entertainment / What's On Thread? - 0 posts
calais to nerja. - 2 posts
Disability Aids Rental - 0 posts
Christmas In Spain? - 18 posts
Security gates, window grills ramps, anything metal. - 0 posts
Buying a car in UK on Spanish plates then driving over to Spain - 3 posts
New member - 3 posts
Car Hire for New Year - 1 posts
cuality service - 0 posts
Community TV issues & installers - BE AWARE - 0 posts
Earn 10€ a Lead - 3 posts
Iberdrola / New power limiters / law - 27 posts
Monarch flights to Murcia from Manchester - 10 posts
brown v cameron - 3 posts
Local Photographer Benalmadena - 0 posts
christmas ,spain or uk - 6 posts
Sofa Bed - 0 posts
Christmas Day Lunch Recommendations please! - 4 posts
is my polaris world contract legal - 1 posts
Puente de la Inmaculada - 3 posts
removals to and from spain in a transit van - 0 posts
transit van going to england early january - 0 posts
Queen Mary - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x