Enforcement of Legal Judgement in The UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I hope that Maria or one of the legal people can answer this query from another thread

We know that many people are now facing legal action by waliking away from contracts and more developers taking people to court in Spain to recove the full contract value

A lawyer is telling their customers that even if they loose a judgement that the developer cannot come after the buyers assets in the UK and that the judgement can only be enforced in Spain

Is this true and can now, under EU Law, the developer if they win the case in Spain,  make a claim thorugh the UK Court system for recovery of the money

Like 0      
19 Nov 2009 6:42 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Now wouldn't that be ironic if Spanish developers got speedy treatment in the UK, whilst thousands of Brits await return of their monies from developers in Spain, (stuck in massive Spanish court delays and at the mercy of developer's delaying tactics) !!

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 7:35 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I cannot see how the Uk Courts can decide on a contract who was signed in Spain regarding a house to be built in Spain. Clearly jurisdiction are Spanish Courts.

Under Spanish Law, there is a clear argument to oppose to that lawsuit,  if the buyer is lacking a sourse of financiation for the property as that as agreed by all actors of the off-plan business under the unbrella of the National Institute for Consumers back in 2001.

A Court decission in Spain can be cashed against assets worldwide.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 7:36 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I cannot see how the Uk Courts can decide on a contract who was signed in Spain regarding a house to be built in Spain. Clearly jurisdiction are Spanish Courts.

Under Spanish Law, there is a clear argument to oppose to that lawsuit,  if the buyer is lacking a sourse of financiation for the property as that as agreed by all actors of the off-plan business under the unbrella of the National Institute for Consumers back in 2001.

A Court decission in Spain can be cashed against assets worldwide.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 7:52 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Just to clarify Maria the question is after a Spanish Court haswon a judgement in Spain and then can they enforce the judgement in the UK

Their lawyer is saying no they cannot collect in the UK

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 9:01 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, they can. Even thoigh it seems tha Uk Courts are quite difficult in terms of executing foreign court decissions.

Again amd before that stage... there is much  legal arguments to put against that Lawsuit.

I would not worry at all.

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 9:31 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Does this apply?  European Order of Payment

The administrators for our urbanisation (and others) have been using this to pursue community fee debtors.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 20/11/2009.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 9:41 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Further information on Enforcement of Foreign Judgments can be found if you google Council Regulation (EC) No 44/2001

It's actually very straightforward - obtain judgement in one member state and enforce in another.

In the past banks have not really bothered crossing borders but we are in unchartered waters and who knows what they will do to get money back.

But in your favour the legal department of Spanish banks appear to know little on EU or international law and because they are arrogant and don't speak English they won't ask those that do or instruct UK solicitors to do the work.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 9:51 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Pitby, that regulation aply to uncontested claims.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 10:48 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Maria,

If a developer has placed an appeal against a purchaser's court judgement win for breach of contract in Spain, then is this classed as a contested claim and therefore prohibits that purchaser from using this European Order of payment to reclaim their monies through this process?

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 10:56 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Correct.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 11:08 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Thanks Maria,

So in the instance identified at the start of this thread would your advice for a purchaser losing their claim against a developer be to place an appeal against that judgement so as to do likewise, and prohibit this swift European Order of payment to proceed by contesting?

Isn't this ability to appeal (in some instances without due cause), open to abuse by both sides? Are appeals in Spain closely reviewed to prohibit abuse of this nature?

This message was last edited by ads on 20/11/2009.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 11:34 AM by Westwood2612 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Has anyone received an email from Sam Jones over the past few days threatening enforcement action?
One interesting line in her e-mail is and I Quote;
The above mentioned judgments where we have been successful can be forwarded on request
”. Unquote
This would imply that they have not been successful in all case, though I doubt she will be so willing to supply copies of the judgment that have gone against Proindal.

Has anyone successfully defended one of these actions? If so I would welcome opportunity to discuss offline. Please send me a PM.

Rgds Westwood

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 11:40 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

There is a lot of legislation in this area depending on the claim/court/procedure etc

At the end of the day when all apeals are over a judgment from one member state can be enforced in another - there are only so many courts or grounds for appeal and that will also cost you especially if you keep paying Spanish lawyers to represent you.

So I am saying do not think you will be safe in UK and that a Spanish judgment could not be enforced over there.

And it's a damn site easier to track people down in the UK than it is in Spain. 

If you had assets or positive net worth in the UK  then I would come after you. So if some bank or other organisation wants to talk to me than I will take these cases.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 12:01 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Faro,

What about conveying also the complete opposite to your scenario and saying

"do no think that you will be safe in Spain and that a UK judgement could not be enforced over there"

If this is not seen to be an equal playing field then it makes a mockery of EU justice.

Where you observed "At the end of the day when all appeals are over, a judgment from one member state can be enforced in another ", this does not  appear to be the case for those whose developers have been allowed to use delaying tactics through the appeal process and the Spanish courts have delayed and delayed justice (thus denying enforcement orders in the interim), and in the end the developer has gone into administration, thus completely compromising those innocent victims who have been denied justice.

It's a disgrace, and the EU should be looking to ensure that this does not become a one-way legal process such that developers in Spain can gain justice but purchasers in the UK (or wherever in Europe) are denied justice.

This message was last edited by ads on 20/11/2009.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 1:06 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Dear Ads

I totally agree with you.

Every day I am frustrated by Spanish law and how procedural it is, it offers little protection to the innocent party, it is incredibly expensive, judgments that have no meaning, one court ruling one way and another court another way on the same facts! I question the integrity of Spanish judges and I believe they can be bought or else they somehow have an association or various family members or friends are tied in with the developer so why a judgment that could hurt his family or friends and to hell with the extranjero. If you dig deep enough you find relationships especially with old established families in certain areas.

But you also have jurisdictional issues with which to contend and then you need to look at the residence of the various parties and the location of assets etc.

A UK judgment can be enforced in Spain.

But I think you are confusing litigation against developers with enforcement of judgments. If your judgment is Spanish then you cannot use the UK courts to enforce on that judgment in Spain.

All I can suggest is that people continue to lobby MPs & MEPs to force Spain to deal with issues fairly and in a timely manner and to stop abusing English people or allowing English people to be abused by crap Spanish laws. The market needs regulation, bank/insurance guarantess that will be honoured without litigation, contracts that have meaning.

I have come to the conclusion Spanish lawyers draft poorly worded vague contracts with unclear terms such that the only way matters can be resolved is through expensive lengthy litigation so they earn lots of money from innocnt people.

Why do these contracts not have binding arbitration clauses – that would be quick and simple! – but then no fat fees for those ambulance chasers we call abogados in Spain!

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 1:28 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Thanks Faro,

But now I am confused as in one posting you wrote

"It's actually very straightforward - obtain judgement in one member state and enforce in another. "

and then in the following reply you wrote

"If your judgment is Spanish then you cannot use the UK courts to enforce on that judgment in Spain. "

Please could you explain further.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 4:33 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I am confused as well becasue everybody is telling me that you can easily enforce and collect on a judgement granted in a Spanish Court in another EU state

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 4:33 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I am confused as well becasue everybody is telling me that you can easily enforce and collect on a judgement granted in a Spanish Court in another EU state

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 4:39 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I believe what Faro is  saying (I think) is that if you have obtained a judgment in Spain, you cannot use a UK court to enforce that judgment IN SPAIN.  Obviously, you would use a UK court to enforce the Spanish judgment in the UK, or a French court to enforce it in France, etc., etc.  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Solicitor/Lawyer fees on conveyancing matters - 3 posts
Removals from Spain back to the uk - 1 posts
cat and dog kennel over xmas - 3 posts
Credit card security breach fear - 1 posts
The Tables Are Turned - 1 posts
Typical Spanish Dish - 3 posts
Credit Card Fraud - SPAIN - 6 posts
implications for not completing - 9 posts
New charges to be introduced for paying by credit card in Spain from January 2010 - 9 posts
Any banks taking on existing mortgages ? - 1 posts
Sauna Wanted - 0 posts
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 - 3 posts
Car Purchase - 1 posts
Sales Advisor Needed! - 0 posts
Oasis Thabernax country Club-building starts again - 2 posts
Moving to Spain or Portugal - 1 posts
Hi newbie here anyone at Reserva De Marbella? - 4 posts
Will verses Company - 0 posts
Hire car prices 2010 - 15 posts
Motorbike for sale - 0 posts
Latest satellite Free to air channel updates - 1 posts
Return of deposit with out of date bank guarantee - 26 posts
Mini One Convertible June 2007 For Sale 14500€ ono - 0 posts
Online banking - 4 posts
Capital Gains Tax on Selling Property (Resident) - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x