implications for not completing

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by denisestorey Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Can you advise me on the position I am in if I am unable to complete on a private purchase contract where by I have paid 15% of the initial asking price. The builders are threatening to take us to court for the whole amount outstanding. Is this the procedure and can you be forced to pay for something that is now overvalued? I would appreciate your advice. Many thanks.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2009 12:16 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

I dont know the answer to your question, but a contract is a contract, works both ways!

Would you have the same reservations if your property had gone up in value !

Whose fault is it that its now overvalued!

s

Like 0      
19 Nov 2009 11:34 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The argument would be not that the house has overvalued but, if you cannot obtain financiation, all the actors of the off-plan business agreed back in 2001 that this would be  cause for contract cancellation and devolution of all amounts paid.

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/482/credit-crunch-times-can-play-in-favour-of-consumers-why-not.aspx

http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/sample-contract.aspx ( See 3.3 of General Conditions here)

Best regards,

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Nov 2009 11:07 AM by minefield Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Maria

Would you be required to provide proof that you do not have sufficient finances to complete - I imagine it would quite a difficult thing to prove. Also have you heard of any developer actually taking clients to court to force them to complete ?. I know in our development (Dona Julia - Hercesa Phase 1) that many people just walked away and lost their 12.5 % deposits and that was that. It would just be impossible for the developer to go after all individuals who choose not to compIete and I'm sure there must be many in the current economic climate 

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 3:16 PM by GeordieBoy Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

But in one development at the mo there will be a lot of people in the same situation so the developer will probably be gearing up for a fight - sorry but that's the way it is at the moment.  However in theory Spanish consumer laws are very protective so get some good advice.  ATB - Keith

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 3:57 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

What you need to prove is that your application for a mortgage have been turned down. That is what the agreement I am telling you about expressly and only says:

For specific information clik here and here ( go to clause 3.3 of the General Conditions)

Best regards,

Maria L. de Castro

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 5:09 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I now know people that have actually excercised this right and got their deposits back OK and I understand that they have to get 3 mortgage refusals

The thing to watch is that on some builders mortgages they will agree to grant this regardless of a buyers financial status

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 5:09 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I now know people that have actually excercised this right and got their deposits back OK and I understand that they have to get 3 mortgage refusals

The thing to watch is that on some builders mortgages they will agree to grant this regardless of a buyers financial status

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 10:49 AM by minefield Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

if you signed the private purchase Contract before the economic downturn, its quite realistic that the value of the property has gone down around 40%. I know there are some exceptions e.g. upmarket properties around puerto banus. If you are looking for a 70% mortgage based on the original amount and you get an independant valuation carried out, I don't think many banks would be mad enough to lend you more than what the property is worth !. So if you have to get 3 refusals, just take your new valuation and apply to 3 UK banks and avoid the developers bank - I presume its your right where you go for your mortgage.

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 12:14 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

For the action I am exposing, according to clause 3.3 of the General Conditions of that national Institute for consumers´draft contract, you need to apply for the developer´s mortgage. We recommend another application to be added to the claim too.

Best regards,

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New charges to be introduced for paying by credit card in Spain from January 2010 - 9 posts
Any banks taking on existing mortgages ? - 1 posts
Sauna Wanted - 0 posts
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 - 3 posts
Car Purchase - 1 posts
Sales Advisor Needed! - 0 posts
Oasis Thabernax country Club-building starts again - 2 posts
Moving to Spain or Portugal - 1 posts
Hi newbie here anyone at Reserva De Marbella? - 4 posts
Will verses Company - 0 posts
Hire car prices 2010 - 15 posts
Motorbike for sale - 0 posts
Latest satellite Free to air channel updates - 1 posts
Return of deposit with out of date bank guarantee - 26 posts
Mini One Convertible June 2007 For Sale 14500€ ono - 0 posts
Online banking - 4 posts
Capital Gains Tax on Selling Property (Resident) - 3 posts
Hola! - 1 posts
Translator in Calpe, Alicante - 0 posts
estepona tax office - 2 posts
president roll - 12 posts
proposed rental prices? - 0 posts
recovery of debts from Spanish developers - 5 posts
Long Term Rental 3 bed mar menor golf resort 2 - 1 posts
The Costa Blanca News (Northern Bias) - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x