Non Residents Tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by heffin Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hello All, Jeffin here (fairly new to the forums)

Can anyone give me any information regarding this 'Non Residents Tax' - I have been advised by my solicitor that I have to pay this tax (E70.39 for the 2008 tax year) whether or not I am resident in Spain, also, apparently it is Spanish law that  I have to have legal representation regarding tax matters which costs me E120.00 per annum.

This seems a bit harsh as I only the use the home I have in Spain only two or three times per annum at the moment (until I retire,   when I shall probably make more use of it)

Does every non-resident pay this tax? - I have no wish to break Spanish law by tax avoidance but it's just got me curious.

Many thanks.....

Like 0      
25 Sep 2009 6:26 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

If you only own one property in Spain you do not have to employ a solicitor to deal with your tax affairs.

I'm a non resident home owner and my solicitor has always dealt with my financial affairs but from next year I will be doing them myself.

Each year I pay wealth tax (patrimonia) and income tax (la renta).  This is always paid in arrears, this year I paid what was owing for the year 2008.  In January 2008 wealth tax was set at 0% so in reality you now only pay (la renta) which is about a 1/3 of what I was paying in previous years.

Every two years I have to fill in a declaration at my bank to prove that I'm non resident in Spain.  Some banks charge for this service but I bank with Banco Halifax and it's free.

All my other bills IBI, Electric, Water and Telephone are being paid by direct debit so I don't feel that I should be paying for this one form to be filled in each year.  I pay 85e a year for this to be done, 2/3 of what I paid in tax.

I personally think your solicitor is using scare tactics to make you stay with them.  You don't say where your property is, there is someone on this forum who will prepare the tax forms for you for 35e.  The name of the form escapes at the moment but if you do a search (see prompt at top of page) for wealth tax or la renta all the relevant threads should appear.  It's something that has been discussed a lot on here lately....LOL

If you also google la renta that should explain why every non-resident has to pay this tax.  Also "You and the Law in Spain" is a worthwhile purchase, most large bookstores have it or you can order it online from Amazon.  I think it's by David Seale?

Like 0      
25 Sep 2009 6:32 PM by manilvajl Star rating in Manilva as much as p.... 426 posts Send private message

I use my place about 20 weeks a year and I have done my own income and wealth tax for the last 5 years myself, you do not need a fiscal rep. Once you have done it once it takes about half an hour to fill in 2 forms ie me and my wifes.

Jeff

Like 0      
27 Sep 2009 6:41 PM by leswill Star rating. 120 posts Send private message

Hello Jeffin,

I agree with Semijubilada's posting and it may be my business he is referring to with regard to your non resident tax form being completed for £35.  Have a look at the website for more info www.spain214.com.  You do not need a fiscal rep and all the other bills including your IBI bill can be paid by direct debit from your bank.  The renta tax form is the only paperwork you need to submit on a yearly basis, and this can be paid in your own bank once you have the completed form.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

looking for help - 0 posts
Blatant Advert for our Guest House - 0 posts
La Canada Thefts - 5 posts
Malaga Airport Parking...Question - 9 posts
Spanish social security - 9 posts
Equality with community fees - 4 posts
Alternative offered!!!! - 12 posts
Horizontal Property Act, Section 17 - 6 posts
CAM charges - 12 posts
Are Today's Newspapers Boring? - 5 posts
La Herradura. Montesinos - 3 posts
Uk Shopping In Spain - Consumer Advisor - 13 posts
Spanish banks on the ropes - 0 posts
Exciting, special scooter for sale! - 0 posts
VERY DISTINCTIVE JETSKI STOLEN FROM TORREVIEJA AREA. 3000 EURO REWARD. - 12 posts
Yet More UK Taxation... - 1 posts
Why are there no English speaking staff at Endesa Costa Del Sol offices - 8 posts
Looking for a healthier diet and lifestyle? - 4 posts
Who'd buy in Spain after this stark warning? - 20 posts
Polaris World - no thanks - 39 posts
Brand New Boxed 42inch LCD tv - 3 posts
Shipping Furniture to Murcia/Cartagena - 3 posts
Help! Spanish Banks: Minimum amount left in?/Regular transfers - 9 posts
JET 2 FLIGHTS - 2 posts
Solid Wood Table For Sale - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x