La Canada Thefts

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

Just a note of warning to anyone visiting La Canada shopping centre!

We stopped there on our way from Malaga airport to get some shopping and returned to our car to find all our suitcases and possessions stolen all of which were in the boot. We have since found out it is a daily occurrence. When we arrived the place was crawling with police (which should have given us a clue) we were only in the shopping centre about half an hour and when we came out the police were still in the centre but our bags had gone. The security at the shopping centre were not interested and the police not much better. My advice would be if you are going to La Canada do so in an empty car with the boot cover taken off. We were told our mistake was when we arrived we took a bag from the car and put it in the boot and that we were probable being watched by the thieves as we were in a hired car. Please be warned as this was not a good experience.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 7:27 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

this is the place where the gypsies beg until they see your purse and then attack - beware

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
25 Sep 2009 9:20 AM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

Friends who were with us unfortunately had their passports stolen with their cases and had to go to the British Consulate in Malaga to have them renewed (87 euro a time!) and were told they renew 20 to 30 passports a day because of crime.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2009 10:15 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Unfortunately that whole area is terrible at the moment for thefts and burglaries.  Saying that, it's been like that for a long time.

I remember about two years ago Susan was sat in McDonalds in Puerto Banus with one of our daughters at 2pm.  She had her bag on her lap....next thing she knew the bag had been taken from her lap and she hadn't even noticed.

EVERYONE has to have their wits about them all the time.  Unemployment is so high here and many people were employed without contracts, now finding themselves with no jobs and no unemployment benefit.  Out of desperation they go and steal anything they can.

In fact, now that we are approaching Christmas things tend to get even worse, so even more reason to be extra careful.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Sep 2009 10:55 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I never go to La Cañada anymore, I feel a bit vulnerable around the car park and I have really gone off the place.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Sep 2009 12:52 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

I too had a bag stolen in Puerto Banus a couple of years ago.  I deliberately sat at the outside of the table and put my bag on the chair on the inside but someone came and sat at the table behind me and was able to reach over and take it without me noticing.

We have also had a couple of purses stolen out of bags in the Aldi store in our urb at Playa Golf.  You do need to be really careful!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Malaga Airport Parking...Question - 9 posts
Spanish social security - 9 posts
Equality with community fees - 4 posts
Alternative offered!!!! - 12 posts
Horizontal Property Act, Section 17 - 6 posts
CAM charges - 12 posts
Are Today's Newspapers Boring? - 5 posts
La Herradura. Montesinos - 3 posts
Uk Shopping In Spain - Consumer Advisor - 13 posts
Spanish banks on the ropes - 0 posts
Exciting, special scooter for sale! - 0 posts
VERY DISTINCTIVE JETSKI STOLEN FROM TORREVIEJA AREA. 3000 EURO REWARD. - 12 posts
Yet More UK Taxation... - 1 posts
Why are there no English speaking staff at Endesa Costa Del Sol offices - 8 posts
Looking for a healthier diet and lifestyle? - 4 posts
Who'd buy in Spain after this stark warning? - 20 posts
Polaris World - no thanks - 39 posts
Brand New Boxed 42inch LCD tv - 3 posts
Shipping Furniture to Murcia/Cartagena - 3 posts
Help! Spanish Banks: Minimum amount left in?/Regular transfers - 9 posts
JET 2 FLIGHTS - 2 posts
Solid Wood Table For Sale - 0 posts
Looking for a bilingual receptionist service in Spain - 3 posts
Child's bed - Mid Sleeper - 0 posts
Mortgage Rates - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x