Are Today's Newspapers Boring?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Being an industry insider I run the risk of appearing to be biased or simply critical of ‘colleagues’: I shall take that chance. Am I alone in thinking that the news media has become boring, bland and predictable?
Leaving aside each newspaper’s politics the success of the more popular newspapers is still based on (mildly) challenging fashionable concepts; usually by interesting, inspiring or controversial columnists and journalists. They can be a pain but they do generate interest and reader participation.
But too many of today’s editors seem to be afraid of pushing boundaries or challenging the status quo. I cannot think of a single columnist these days …   okay, John Pilger, Richard Littlejohn (poking fun) and a couple of others … but no Peter Simples or Simon Heffers to raise our hackles, enlighten us, challenge our way of thinking, to tickle us with controversy.
The local freebies are the worst. I know they couldn’t survive without advertising, which is fair enough. But can’t this be complementary to columnists who will push the boundaries and challenge orthodoxy?
People buy or otherwise take newspapers because they want the news in a format they are comfortable with, and which likely best reflect their own views. They certainly don’t buy them for the advertisements.
My locals are now just page after boring page of bland advertisements, broken occasionally by news of events that are of little interest except to participants. The columnists tend to be so ‘on message’ their purpose can only be to assist insomniacs in dropping off. Right, rant over. Let’s ask the audience.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 1:54 PM by Malvina Property Services Star rating. 53 posts Send private message

Malvina Property Services´s avatar

Short answer to a long question.

YES they are !

and as for the local free papers. Take last weeks Euro weekly news, it just had one thing missing "NEWS"  the total news added up to about threee and a half pages, the rest was full of advertising, whole page adverts for some Cheap phone deals. Seven pages of TV listings.Classified adds for telesales jobs and adult relaxation (See the SUR for that)  Some of the so called news was old and some was just local news stories. We dont need to read on a wednesday or thursday "That Barrichello" won a grand prix the previous Sunday. I could go on but I wont, get your hands on one this week and just see what I mean.

Malvina

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 2:06 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Malvina

You touched on this with the locals.

The reason newspapers are boring is because they only bring us yesterdays news!, we now have 24hr news avialable on the television and internet.

Malvina, I like the locals, look forward to them coming out. Understand what you say about the ads, but they are FREE.

Would anybody buy one if they charged 50 cents???

Yep I probably would

S

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 4:26 PM by Ted H Star rating in Purley and jardin 13.... 458 posts Send private message

I agree with the last post.  I think the fact that we have so much instant news makes it very difficult for any papers to provide something new to capture the interest.  In the past when away from home I always wanted to get the chance to read an English paper, but now I can get a daily (or more regular) download from the net, would even think about it.

Ted

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 4:59 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Interesting response and pretty much in line with my own thoughts. I can't believe that when in the UK I would traipse every morning to the newsagent, rain or sunshine, to pick up my daily newspapers and come away with very little change from a quid. I packed that in two years ago; the downloads are far superior - and free, though they are already looking at charging. Murdoch! Who else?

In my personal opinion there's too many advertisements and too little editorial, most of it bland, in newspapers today. Everyone (reporters, journalists, editors, columnists etc) write 'safe' so there is not a lot to capture readers attention; to amuse them, to inspire them. Newspapers no longer reflect the rich diversity of life; its good and bad. It is wholly focused on the downside of life.

There used to be children's pages; poetry, real fashion, competitions, sports pundits (not the same as results); something to appeal to every generation. Readers stories, political dissent, revisionism, exclusives. There used to be journalists with strongly held opinions who caused wrath, uproar, or contentment.

What politician would have anything to fear from today's compliant 'play it safe' media; don't upset anyone; we don't want the advertisers threatening to withdraw. Oh well   ...  I could go on and on.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 7:06 PM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

We have long given up on English newspapers as being outright boring as you say they lack the diversity and operate a play it safe attitude.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

La Herradura. Montesinos - 3 posts
Uk Shopping In Spain - Consumer Advisor - 13 posts
Spanish banks on the ropes - 0 posts
Exciting, special scooter for sale! - 0 posts
VERY DISTINCTIVE JETSKI STOLEN FROM TORREVIEJA AREA. 3000 EURO REWARD. - 12 posts
Yet More UK Taxation... - 1 posts
Why are there no English speaking staff at Endesa Costa Del Sol offices - 8 posts
Looking for a healthier diet and lifestyle? - 4 posts
Who'd buy in Spain after this stark warning? - 20 posts
Polaris World - no thanks - 39 posts
Brand New Boxed 42inch LCD tv - 3 posts
Shipping Furniture to Murcia/Cartagena - 3 posts
Help! Spanish Banks: Minimum amount left in?/Regular transfers - 9 posts
JET 2 FLIGHTS - 2 posts
Solid Wood Table For Sale - 0 posts
Looking for a bilingual receptionist service in Spain - 3 posts
Child's bed - Mid Sleeper - 0 posts
Mortgage Rates - 1 posts
FORD FOCUS Estate - DIESEL - FOR SALE - 2002 - 2 Years ITV - 0 posts
duplicate nie - 2 posts
Car Hire Scam? - 2 posts
Targeta de transporte - 0 posts
Solvency reports - 3 posts
IBI TAX 2009 IN ESTEPONA - 1 posts
Wanted Beach Buggy - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x