Looking for a healthier diet and lifestyle?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

Since turning 40 I've found that I think and care more about my health particularly diet.  Until this Spring I was a serial snacker, nibbler and treater and consequently my weight was inching upwards.  I also knew I was eating more salt (crisps and nuts) and processed meat (sausages and the like) than they recommend.   I made a decision to change it all around and the plan has worked so far.  I described my approach in a short article linked below.  Take it or leave it as I am no nutritional expert just someone who has learnt to make gradual, permanent changes that last (I hope!).

How to boost diet willpower and make cravings work for you

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has their own willpower techniques and experience with long term diet turnarounds because I am going to write a follow-up. 

Salud

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Latest article: Guide to Spain's Autonomo System

Like 0      
23 Sep 2009 4:33 PM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

Glad to hear that you're changing to a healthier lifestyle. I eat a lot of fresh fruits & vegetables daily to get my vitamins, minerals & antioxidants, cutting down red meat & salt too. I've done a lot of research prior to writing this book (Healthy Eating to Combat Diseases)  & I was surprised that a lot of things I didn't find out when I was a student in that field.

This message was last edited by Forhotspot on 23/09/2009.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 7:48 AM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

FHS - actually weight loss wasn't the biggest part of my motivation for the diet.  I only really put on weight if I'm not exercising which I wasn't for a while before I started on this plan due to broken wrist.  The bigger factors were overall healthier diet goals such as those you mention.  I was influenced by a massive study the UN did on cancer which said 2/3 were preventable with better lifestyles: I wasn't surprised to see smoking and drinking listed as risk factors of course but they also highlighted red and processed meat.  One of my "weak points" (see the plan) is bacon/sausages which I now treat myself to once a week at most.  I've cut out all the ham, pate, meatballs and all that.  

I'll check out the book.

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 9:48 AM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

Hi Bakeja

Last year I lost 5 Stone and have kept the weight off. I only adjusted me diet slightly. Eat less fat, but did not cut it out completely, in fact did not cut anything out at all. I still drank 2-3 times a week, had the odd kebab/ meal out etc.

For me the key was exercise, not diet. Thin people eat all sorts of junk. I think it all comes dowm to metabilism. If you dont exercise you metabilism becomes slow. You do not need to do alot to start losing the weight. I would walk briskly for about 4 miles (takes about an hour) most days.

If you're like me, I never exersised, so starting was a real drag, but after about 2 weeks I actually enjoyed it. I also found out that if you do strenuous exercise ie running, you run the risk of increasing your weight as you will build musle, which is heavier than fat.

This worked for me. I'm 52 - it took about 10 months to lose the weight

O and drink lots of water - 5 pints a day if possible

Phil

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
24 Sep 2009 12:07 PM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

Phil - I hear what you're saying about exercise.  I play football, run and walk the dog and that's probably more important than my diet to keeping weight off.  It's amazing what tips you get - during the course of my research I got the advice that eating celery before you go to bed acts as "negative" calories!

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Who'd buy in Spain after this stark warning? - 20 posts
Polaris World - no thanks - 39 posts
Brand New Boxed 42inch LCD tv - 3 posts
Shipping Furniture to Murcia/Cartagena - 3 posts
Help! Spanish Banks: Minimum amount left in?/Regular transfers - 9 posts
JET 2 FLIGHTS - 2 posts
Solid Wood Table For Sale - 0 posts
Looking for a bilingual receptionist service in Spain - 3 posts
Child's bed - Mid Sleeper - 0 posts
Mortgage Rates - 1 posts
FORD FOCUS Estate - DIESEL - FOR SALE - 2002 - 2 Years ITV - 0 posts
duplicate nie - 2 posts
Car Hire Scam? - 2 posts
Targeta de transporte - 0 posts
Solvency reports - 3 posts
IBI TAX 2009 IN ESTEPONA - 1 posts
Wanted Beach Buggy - 3 posts
spanish taxes - help! - 3 posts
Masa international - 9 posts
Torrevisa - 12 posts
Question about Communities - 1 posts
vacacion in Valencia - 0 posts
Franchising: a good option in Spain - 0 posts
can i get itv and sum on english transit ? - 3 posts
EOS Alcaidesa Family Meeting: Next Saturday the 26th in September. Come! - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x