Early retirement in Spain???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

I have heard that apparently you can now request early retirement in Spain. 

Does anyone know if this is correct and from what age you can apply for this?

Does anyone know how long you need to have worked in order to apply for this?

Joan

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 1:51 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

There are several ways to access an early retirement ( dangerous proffession, handicapped...) the general one for people under no special circumnstancies as those just expressed is for 61 y/o who have been in the Social Security system for at least 30 years.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 2:31 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

Thank you for your comment.  My friend is 54, she has worked in the system for around 10 years, she was advised by a friend that she could proceed to early retirement at her age.

Joan

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 3:13 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

No way!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 4:46 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Hi Joanmalaga, How can your friend possibly believe that you can retire at 54 with 10 years working in the system? I take it she is English? Does she not understand the way pensions work in the UK? Spain has high levels of unemployment and lots of other problems! It just beggers belief that anyone can seriously think they could collect a pension under these circumstances. 

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 6:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Kev, I think we all believe something we want to.

Joan's friend's very naive IMHO.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 6:09 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

True true, Morerosado, I was just so surprised to see a question like that! Well, we might all get a shock if she is able to claim it! lol! Then I will have to eat my words.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 9:04 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Even my friend found it hard to belive but at the end of the day it is worth asking the question!

In Spain if you do not ask you do not get! It is not like in the UK where you can get money for everything and they are up front with what you can apply for! Programs like benefit busters have not arised for no reason.

Joan

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 11:34 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

PLEASE post what happens, either way, Joan.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 5:15 PM by RonArt Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

I'm a healthy, early-retired (62 to 65 yrs old) American. American Medicare does not start until I turn 65. I want to live in Spain (Málaga) until then, maybe even after I turn 65. For me, Sanitas provides health insurance for 96€/ month, and dental for 9€/month. This sounds almost too good to be true -- American healthcare is highway robbery. Is there anything I should be aware of before I make my move in February 2011?

Also, why do apartments (flats) list their rates without showing the time period (week / month)? Very confusing. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Anyone feeling sorry for the Aussies? - 0 posts
Animal abuse... thank God someone has some sense ! - 5 posts
Anyone need any help? - 4 posts
Monarch London Gatwick to Murcia - 5 posts
Moving to Spain in 2 months - 2 posts
Hidden charges - 4 posts
2nd hand car sales - 9 posts
weekenders - 1 posts
Plaiting Onions!! - 3 posts
Gisela ... - 28 posts
RYANAIR WINTER FLIGHTS - 0 posts
Moors & Christains Fiesta - 2 posts
Fly screens - 6 posts
Making a Will in Spain - 9 posts
Market trading - 3 posts
'silver fish' - 3 posts
moving in November but dont know where to ! - 7 posts
6 month stepping stone............any suggestions ?? please help !! - 4 posts
Have I done something wrong?? - 4 posts
Off-plans that never get off the ground....but not in Spain! - 0 posts
cam online banking - 4 posts
Inhertitance tax on home - 1 posts
Catastral value - 0 posts
Turned off street lights - 5 posts
Community start up - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x