moving in November but dont know where to !

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by gigglymushroom Star rating in stavanger Norway. 21 posts Send private message

Hello, im hoping for some info please.

we are from the uk currently in Norway. we have been told at short notice that my husbands contract could end in November.we are shocked as we moved here for a permanent job,long term contract and we have not been here for 1 year yet.

we were in the process of  looking to move out to spain befor we took the position in Norway,so here I am again following my dream.

We would be looking to rent for the first 6 months and as my husband will be away working I would need to be in walking distance to shops, transport,social activities etc I dont have a driving licience could i take a driving test in spain ?. we have 4 children 14,10,5 and 4.I will home school them for this time unless there is a school we could attend.

Could anyone offer advice and location,best place to look for property and my dog( labradore aged 10,dignified old lady,causes no trouble) has a pet passport but will i have a problem renting a property?  etc or anything else i need to know,my head is spinning having to move so fast.

oh also spanish lesson,any intensive classes we could all take as a family ? xx

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 7:27 PM by rachelmoving Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

hey there,

Im trying to move over to Costa Blanca myself we have our house up for sale but it looks like were gonna have to rent it while we wait for it to sell :-(

I cant really give you much advice on where to live im leaning towards Villamartin or Playa Flamenca. Where are you thinking of in Spain?

I can help you with the language thing though Michael Thomas is brilliant Iv started using him only last week but I can now shop or ask a question, get directions, & express basic things like, I need, I want, I am etc...

I have learned Italian with him before & his method really works! As for schools I was thinking about bringing my 14yrs old daughter but to be honest our system of education is so internationally revered its her pass to any college in the world so we decided she would stay with her dad till she finishes. We found the "international" or "english" schools expensive (as education is free in Ireland) & there is about 3 subjects my daughter wouldnt have.

The Spanish school system is from what iv heard is very good & if the children are young enough they will adapt  to the language very well. When my daughter was considering coming with us we had decided on El Limonar near Villamartin. there is another one called Mar Azul but its been declaired not legal & ordered to close down so be careful which one you choose if it hadnt been for this forum we wouldnt have know this.

we are in the same position my partner is an electrical engineer & hasnt had a job here in Ireland for the last 8 months so we figure may as well be un-employed over in the sun rather than here in the wet!! lol Irelands economy has really crashed!!

I hope my limited bit of information helps & best of luck with the move :-)

Rachel

Like 0      
22 Aug 2009 10:27 AM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

Hi

I would reccommend Sabinillas on the Costa del Sol. Its an up-and-coming fishing village, with a good friendly English community, within a typical Spanish village. It has everything you need within walking distance. Banks, supermarkets, small shops, market, good bars and resturants.

You also have the added bonus of being only 25 min from Gibraltar. There are quite a few jobs advertised on this web site in Gib.

There is an international school, which is very good. I know cos my niece used to go there.

Long term rentals shouldn't be a problem, theres quite a few available - do a seach for rentals or check this site

Good luck

Phil

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
22 Aug 2009 12:00 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Giggly - love the name!!

You won't have a problem finding rentals as there are lots available and the prices are very competitive now.  Lots of people have pets so just ask the owner / agent if they allow dogs in any specific property.

As for area, you need to think firstly about whether you want the coast or inland.  They are very different and again you will have lots of choice.  Most Brits who move here tend to come to the coast and then the main choices are Costa del Sol or Costa Blanca.  I chose Orihuela Costa on the Costa Blanca as it is cheaper but still has the weather and really good roads, airports and lots to do. 

As for schools - with the age range of your children, you may wish to stick to an international school for your oldest and the spanish system for the others.  The spanish system is really good but it is maybe too late for a 14 year old to make such a big transition, and in a second language.  As Rachel said, there are a couple of international schools here to choose from - a friend of mine is going to send her son to one in Murcia as it has a great reputation and isn't too far from Orihuela Costa.

I too used Michel Thomas CDs - great in the car - but I do hate his voice!!  I now go to a local teacher and there are lots available. The local town hall also does free classes for foreigners at the high school in Playa Flamenca.

If you do decide on this area there are lots of rental companies - and I would be delighted to help if and when you are ready to buy.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Like 0      
22 Aug 2009 12:25 PM by rachelmoving Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

hi Claire,

will agree with you on his voice I had trouble sleeping lately (the stresses of moving) & he put me right off to sleep, if subliminal learning works I should be fluent in no time lol!!!

my tip for learning from him is to be wide awake lol & sit at the kitchen table, or driving, or while ironing, you will be shocked at how quick it sinks in!!

thanks for mentioning the free lessons will definitly be taking those when we get there!! We had a veiwer for our house who wants to come back for second veiwing & guess what she actually is "loan approved"!!!! so fingers crossed we will be in Spain soon!!

cheers guys

Rachel

Like 0      
22 Aug 2009 5:21 PM by mintbunny2 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

HI Giggly

Just thought I would tell you of our experience in Spain,
We moved here 6 years ago with a 5 year old and another on the way (house in the UK sold quicker than expected). We moved to a village inland about 30 minutes from Guadamar. Our daughter was the only English child in the village school at the time and at 5 picked up the language in no time, but we were prepared to send her to El Liminor International School if she was not happy. Out other daughter was born here and as you would expect is now fluent in Spanish and as far as she is concerned she is Spanish.
We have seen quite a few children come and go over the last few years and it seems to be no problem for the younger ones but is harder for the older children, they need a good year to master the language and with more English children in the school it is easier to stick to an “English group” and not mix with the Spanish children, which then makes it harder for them to be accepted and do all the normal things you would expect like go to the pictures etc, but at the end of the day all children are different in how they mix with others.
The choice was easier for us because of our children’s ages, you may find that your 14 year old may not be accepted into state secondary school if there is a language problem, but I think this varies from area to area so International may be the only choice.
I always seem to have a house full of children English and Spanish, I find it hard when the Spanish children are all talking to me at once and I don’t always understand, I get by but wouldn’t class myself as fluent ,but I learn a lot from these little people!
So for all of you out there it is a hard decision to make especially when your main concerns are for your children and how they will cope, personally for us the only regret that we have is that we hadn’t done it sooner.

Do as much research as you can, the village where we live is very different from the coast but they are only 30 minutes apart.

So good luck and if you move to the Orihuela Costa area PM me for a chat and a coffee.

Mint Bunny

Like 0      
22 Aug 2009 10:29 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hi Giggly

Spain is a vast country and if you don't know specific areas then moving can be an "interesting" experience.  Every area seems to be very different.  You really should visit a few areas before deciding.  It's such a big change in yours and your kids lives so you need to make sure you make the best possible decision.

In terms of schools, home schooling is actually illegal in Spain.  I think the law was brought in for the gypsies, to make sure they sent their kids to school, although I'm not sure how this is enforced as we particularly see lots of teenage expat kids that never go to school in our area.  Here are some articles on this subject.

Regards learning the language, there are lots of articles on here about the subject and we also reviewed various courses.

Loads of long term rentals available here too.

We cover most of these topics in our Spain Uncut Videos product.  You may want to check it out.

Loads to consider, I hope it all goes well for you.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
19 Oct 2009 3:30 PM by frenjd Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Benalmadena is a great place on the Costa Del Sol, we going to be moving there ourselfs after Christmas, it seems to have everything there, good schools parks ect..

I have 4 kids too.

Keep me informed on what you are doing, if you go there I could meet up with you cause my hubby will be working away also

Barbara x

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

6 month stepping stone............any suggestions ?? please help !! - 4 posts
Have I done something wrong?? - 4 posts
Off-plans that never get off the ground....but not in Spain! - 0 posts
cam online banking - 4 posts
Inhertitance tax on home - 1 posts
Catastral value - 0 posts
Turned off street lights - 5 posts
Community start up - 2 posts
FOR SALE - 2003 Citroen C3 Pluriel 1.4 Convertible - 0 posts
Any quiet islands in Spain - 3 posts
scanning and translating a letter - 1 posts
Advice on importing household goods - 3 posts
torresatalit tv info? - 6 posts
landline - 5 posts
Weather Alicante beginning of October? - 4 posts
Probably stupid question bout Ryan air and departing different airports - 12 posts
Ryanair returning to Valencia - 1 posts
minimum wage - 2 posts
second hand private sale what to do ???????? - 2 posts
Above ground pool........ - 1 posts
Pocket dragon collectors??????? - 5 posts
Great Healthcare in Almeria - 2 posts
Channel 5 changes... - 0 posts
Hertz Car Hire - 1 posts
Consequence of lack of business Insurance - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x