Driving with children

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by condesa Star rating. 48 posts Send private message

Can someone tell me whether a 4 year old (nearly 5) can use a booster seat or whether they need to use a proper child seat.  Thanks.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 3:01 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Mine (7) have been in booster seats for ages, definitely when they were five. I think it also depends on the weight of the child.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 3:42 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

>>> FROM HERE <<<

Seatbelts
It is compulsory for all in the car to wear seatbelts, both front and rear where fitted. The driver is responsible for any fines where passengers are not wearing an approved belt.  Children under 12 years of age are not allowed in the front seats (unless they are over 150 cm or 4 ft. 9 ins, then they can unofficially get away with it. It is apparently to do with being secure in the safety belt). Also, if seated in the back, the belt must fit correctly, or a special “raising seat” must be fitted.

** Interesting that the driver is responsible for passengers wearing seatbelts. We tell our friends they need to belt up as it's amazing to me how some won't. We have a friend who justs pulls the belt across to appear she's belted in. Why should my husband who is doing a favour by offering to drive that day so someone else can enjoy a drink, be responsible for them as adults ?  

>>>FROM HERE <<<

Children under 12 are not permitted to travel in the front seat unless restrained in a suitable car seat. All children up to the age of 12 or 150 cms should use a car/booster seat

THE BEST INFO I READ WAS  from  Get Spain

Up to 9 months and up to 10 kg, a carrycot must be used laid across the rear seat and secured with the car's safety belt or any specially approved attachment.

From 10kg to 13kg and up to 2 years of age, a child's car seat fitted in the rear with the child facing rearwards.

From 9kg to 18kg and from 9 months to 3 years old, child seats facing frontwards or rearwards , fitted in the rear of the car and secured as detailed in the seats instructions.

From 15kg to 25kg and 3 to 6 years of age, use a seat adaptor (elevator) to lift the child up to fit comfortably with, if necessary, a CE-EU approved seat belt adaptor.

From 22kg to 36kg and 6 to 12 years of age, use a seat elevator so that the child is comfortably protected using the seat belts.

Children up to the age of 12 are not allowed to sit in the front seat.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 4:15 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

You wouldn't believe the amount of children (often British) that I see floating about the back seat of the car or sat in the front seat at as young as five. I often see babies sat in laps too.

More, I am surprised that your friends dare to defy you

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 4:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

More, I am surprised that your friends dare to defy you

I don't accept 'defy' is the correct adjective noun verb (pick one) Susan. It's not me or my OH who set these regulations. If a person without a seat belt on is behind me, if God forbid we have an accident, they'll do serious damage likely to us never mind themselves.

Why should my husband be fined for adults not adhering to the law of the land we're in ?

We recently took a friend, who is an EOS member, out with us. She sat with me in the rear seat. Suddenly police were pulling drivers over at random & I commented that we hadn't done anything wrong so there was no call to be concerned & we all were belted up. At that point our friend said she'd forgotten & I thought it must be the 1st time I'd not looked to check belts had been done up. 

(Anyway, I thought we were trying to find facts for Condesa).  Some parents choose to ignore safety procedures that could cause them to be fined heavily, & that's apart from maybe killing their children in an accident.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 4/28/2009.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 4:44 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

It is second nature for me to put on a seatbelt but it amazes me how many people get all relaxed about in Spain. 

Susan

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 4:52 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

BTW Susan, I watched your Justin's siesta show about driving in Spain. I had to laugh when he said 'then you FLOOR IT !!!'

Like 0      
28 Apr 2009 5:05 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Sometimes it's the only way

Susan

Like 0      
29 Apr 2009 12:47 PM by condesa Star rating. 48 posts Send private message

Thank you everyone - very useful.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Free Property Management Information???? - 1 posts
Car insurance in Spain - 2 posts
Petition To remove the PM - 17 posts
FREEZER TO SPAIN - 5 posts
Car hire under 21 - 9 posts
Buying a car in Spain - 7 posts
Toyota Yaris for Sale - 0 posts
Van or pick up with driver/labourer needed - 0 posts
Brilliant News folks - 2 posts
QUESTION FOR MARIA - 1 posts
Community Deeds - 5 posts
Happy story about agent and buying in Spain - 13 posts
Olvera, Cadiz information urgently required! - 7 posts
Anyone know a good place to buy a Beagle Pup - 7 posts
people carrier/mini bus required - 4 posts
certificate of non residence. - 13 posts
A week to go.....help with finding an Apartment - 3 posts
which car insurance post again - 16 posts
Hi again from Lisa at Spectrum FM - Still looking for people to interview. - 7 posts
mortgage let down - 8 posts
Bosque de las Lomas 2 ~ Orihuela - 14 posts
future owner - 16 posts
Jet 2 Flights 99p Leeds Bradford to Murcia - 2 posts
Long-term-parking in Alicante or ?? - 5 posts
FURNITURE SCAM - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x