INTERNET WITHOUT THE NEED FOR TELEFONICA

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

Regarding Wi-fi or Wi-Max Internet access.

hi all.

just wondered if anyone has experience good or bad with Wi-Fi or Wi-Max Internet.?
there are various companies offering there services along the coast.

2 in particular are yinternet and viphotspot
im lead to believe that vip hotspot you dont actually have to own the receiver  and / or equipment, meaning i think i can just turn on my laptop and log into there services, of course i have to pay. ( its supposed to be like loggin in at an internet cafe, but you can do it from home, depending on coverage)

what im not sure about is these other companies, and here is another one, which is apparently part owned by telefonica =  iberbandainenglish
basically i live in benhavis, and wonder if anyone is using these companies also whats the cost, and are there any companies out there who are not charging for the equipment/?
and reception?
i have heard in some parts of spain the wi-fi / wimax internet providers have been providing a great service with some compaines offering good to high internet speeds, some even broadband, enabling customers to not have to have a telefonica land line installed.. which i can seriously see the benefit of.
especially if one uses voipstunt.com  which gives me free home calls to landlines all over the EU ( as long as im topped up), this way i dont need a landline..
anyway guys if anyone knows anything relevant id appreciate it. kindly...

thanks

This message was last edited by jeffcoo on 3/21/2009.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2009 6:35 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I have a 1MB connection with Iberbanda in the Mojacar/ Vera area. Installation is free as is the equipment, all a part of the monthly rental. I bought my own cable modem from PC World to use with the suystem, plug it into their box and away it goes with a wireless connection. They fit a small dish on the side of your property (a bit like the Ionica phone dishes used to be if you can remember them!!). We have internet only at €39pm, it is €42 with inclusive telephone minutes I believe, but you can use Skype successfully with it.

I found it to be a bit "laggy" when using it, especially in the peak hours. I found a traceroute to telefonica.es was taking up to 300ms per hop as opposed to the 20 or so I am used to in the UK!! That said, it is (allegedly) unlimited bandwidth and my first monthly bill was only €21 (not sure what is going on there!!). I managed to update my old laptop with all the various Windows updates and other software stuff quite quickly and my Son enjoyed his unlimited YouTube.

Will give it a good maxing out when I am next over in April.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Can you ditich your Landline? - 5 posts
How to register with a dotor. - 5 posts
Can anyone recomment a good reliable plumber - 4 posts
BG and The Lawyers Responsibility - 72 posts
King size mattress For Sale - 0 posts
anyone got money back from mirador or palmera yet - 12 posts
Community Statutes & Management Contract - 2 posts
“Obra Nueva” (End of Building work document) - 3 posts
learning Spanish - 1 posts
empadron in Coin - 0 posts
Coin Foreigners Department - 0 posts
Blues in Spain - 4 posts
We're going to be LIVE from Calahonda tomorrow - 9 posts
IMM2001 ( International Marketing Management 2001 ) - 0 posts
30' Motor Cruiser with Mooring - 0 posts
AVG ANTI VIRUS PROTECTION - 12 posts
Samsung F480 TOCCO Mobile Phone - Brand New - 0 posts
Year 2000 Hyundai Car 995€ or Swap Large Van - 0 posts
Would anyone be interested....? - 22 posts
"Living next door to Alice" - 1 posts
Lots of questions about electricity connection/contracts/meters etc !! - 2 posts
Will Atlético move to Estadio La Peineta? - 1 posts
Newbie - 2 posts
what is the difference between potentially and realistically - 1 posts
Sea fishing - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x