roundabouts in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Mar 2009 9:21 PM by Christian Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

Please don't take the driving on the 'Costas' as the norm of how we drive in Spain. Most people who live North of Despeñaperros (the famous limit between Andalucia and Castilla) would say nobody in the South has ever taken a driving test. And yes, I guess some of you would say I am a crazy driver from Madrid because we have no patience with tourists, Costa locals driving always in the middle of the motorway or drunks like Roberto. But sorry, this is no joke, and no, we do not drive like this in the rest of the country!

To be honest, I don't think there is anywhere in Spain where people driving (not all o f  c o u r s e!) are more selfish, bad manered or 'cateto' (ignorant to be kind) than in Malaga -meaning the Costa del Sol. There is nowere I get more annoyed! Here are some of the rules on the Coast:

1) Three lane motorway? Always drive on the extreme left or middle -right hand lane bites!

2) Somebody slow in front? Just drive two inches from their bumper.

3) Mirrors? For make-up. Flickers? For Christmas.

4) Roundabouts? Just take the short-cut.

5) Traffic lights? Green means go, yellow means go, red means go a bit faster!

6) Zebra crossings? Just pretty decoration

7) Seat-belts? ....hmmmmm.... what are they for?

8) parking spaces? why take one when I can take three?

9) Give way? Why, if I can go first!

10) Helmets on bikes? Too hot. Good for protecting elbows though!

11) Disrupting the flow by bad parking/stopping? Not my problem.

12) Alcohol? It doesn't affect me. That is for others.

Sorry, but this is a big country and the South is wonderful, the same as its people. But when it comes to driving it is simply a joke!

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 9:53 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Nice one, Christian!

Just a couple of points, though. No.6: Zebra crossings are more than just pretty decoration - you'd be surprised how many idiots leave them clear for pedestrians, which of course makes them an excellent place to park when there's no driveway nearby to block. No.8: why take up threee parking spaces, when you can actually get three cars into one? Don't forget your tin opener for when you want to get out of your space later - or just smash up the cars front and back of you, it's perfectly OK to do that too.

You may be right about Malaga, I don't know. However, whilst it's a bit silly making any generalisations (this thread has become quite silly so what the heck?) I have to say from my own personal experience of driving in many different parts of the world, Barcelona was one of the scariest - and I don't scare easy! I know, I know, Barcelona isn't Spain and all that, but yes it is really, and it's North of the Despeñaperros Gap!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 10:03 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I drove inTripoli for quite a number of years, 3 times round Green Square and you get a survival certificate. The standard of driving was so bad drunken drivers just blended in with the locals, (yes it was a dry country but drunken drivers never got caught as they raised no suspicion) so the driving in Spain doesn't really faze me. What does drive me mad though is the parking, one car taking up 2 spaces, double parking etc etc. especially in summer when there is a shortage of spaces anyway.The only positive is I don't feel guilty when I do the same!

Regards, Irene

Poppyseed

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 11:00 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi everyone thank you for the positive answers or not on driving in Spain especially the roundabouts.I know Roberto is just winding me up as i am from Liverpool and i have not taken him seriously as he is just joking with me  i hope .I have been having my holidays in the Costa Del sol for over 20 years so i do no the cost road that is why i have never tryed to drive there because  as a pedestrian  most of the motorist like to knock you down even when you are on the zebra crossing no joke believe me.But  i have an apt there up a big hill so i thought i will try and drive next time out but it is a good job i have time to cancel it and yes i am a slow driver even in England so if it says 30 mph i do 30 as so on and i do not don't drink so it is down to me to drive there, as my husband has had a brain hemorrhage and that hill is beating us but why do all apt have to be built up on a bleep/hill bye Irene

ps good job they have a good train service irene

This message was last edited by irenemontague on 3/17/2009.

This message was last edited by irenemontague on 3/17/2009.

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 11:26 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hi Irene,

Wot me, winding yous up? Go 'ed!

Apartments are built on hills, because if they were at the bottom they'd flood every time it rains.

P.S. I've just booked flights and car hire for Liverpool this summer; not telling you when - you'll know! he he he!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 11:40 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto well if you had asked me when i was going out to Spain you could have asked me to use my car as i am not that far from the airport but i will only let people drive my car if they don't drink and drive would that exclude you ?and they build apt on a hill and they are nice and dry but the garage are  always flooded and lifts out of order and i thought they build apt on the hill for the view bye Irene

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 11:53 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Just to set the record straight - I absolutely abhor drink driving, and like all good chimps, I am tea total - when driving, that is. Once the car is safely locked up in the swimming pool garage, that's another matter........

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 12:08 AM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi roberto i am just getting my own back on you for putting me off driving in spain irene

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 8:45 AM by Christian Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

Good sense of humor Roberto! :)

To say the truth, I can think of many places where driving is dangerous enough to make you become really religious! Thanks to my work I have been to some wonderful places but, unfortunately, this means moving around in a car. The most scary place driving was definitely Romania. After that Tunisia, any place in China (frightening until you realise what it's all about: they drive cars like bicycles -only that 50 times the speed!), Mexico DF (you never stop at a red light during the night -could be shot!), South of Italy (wow!) and places like Honduras, El Salvador, where you are praying on every bend there's not a lorry overtaking a bus, that the road hasn't sunk into a river or there's a commando with shot-guns. Ouch, makes we shiver even thinking about it -our company drivers all had guns. Not nice.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 9:21 AM by costas Star rating in Estepona. 33 posts Send private message

My 2p, i think spanish traffic law says *nobody* can use the inside lane except big lorries (because they can't take the curve), all others need to merge onto the outside lane. Insane, but true.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 11:42 AM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Costas,

I can´t believe that! As you said it is insane

Ana

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 6:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Christian, when you rattle off some of those places, it makes you realise that Spain really isn't so bad after all. My worst experience was in India - where a cow sleeping in the middle of a motorway is not unusual. On one trip, our driver suddenly slammed on the brakes with no warning, to avoid a row of bricks that had been placed across the carrigeway. When we asked, flabbergasted, why anyone would have put them there, he explained calmly that there was a school by the roadside, and children crossed the road there, so the bricks had been placed there to slow the traffic down. Great entertainment for the kids watching axles getting riped off speeding trucks, I imagine. Our damned speed humps don't seem so bad after that!

(P.S. You will have noted that I wasn't driving on the aforementioned trip. I sure as hell was drinking though - and for a sustained period afterwards!!)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 6:53 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi you dont need to go to india Roberto cows on the motorway well just travel down the back road to our apt in carvajal and everyone will tell you mind the cows they are all over the place and they come down to don Juan and they have even been so close  to getting in to the ground floor garden apts this is not a windup and about 5 to 6 pm the farmer is always down by ours looking for his cows so next time you take the short cut to los boliches be aware of them  and take the camera  bye Irene

This message was last edited by irenemontague on 3/18/2009.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 7:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

No worries - I've got bull bars on my jeep! Glad it's not pigs - I don't think they'd thank me for bringing pork offerings to the Persian restaurant on Saturday.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 10:13 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi roberto well you will need the bars on your car and there is still no light on the back road ,so now why did i buy her in the first place ?bye irene

Like 0      
19 Mar 2009 8:10 AM by johnnie1uk Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

I thought Spanish roundabouts were just for the "ladies of the night" to ply there trade, and the outside lane was where the punters stop to negotiate. Etc

Like 0      
19 Mar 2009 12:00 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

I can understand why all the cars in Spain are all full of dents now.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
13 Apr 2009 10:32 AM by thomaswhiting Star rating in Torre de la Horadada. 3 posts Send private message

I have been living in spain for over 5 years now. I have a spanish girlfriend who past her test last year here in Spain. I have also taken and passed my test in the UK within the last year so it was quite interesting to see the differences in the way they teach you. Compared to Spain the UK has a very very strict exam regime (which i agree with completely!). In UK roundabouts are taken very seriously and you can be expected to be tested rigarously on them, whereas in Spain, as most people find out the hard way, roundabouts are not as well studied. They teach you to stay in the inside lane all the way round, and the outside lane is for overtaking only.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2009 4:55 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

I think it confuses the Spanish now as many roundabouts are raised. In the older days they were painted, so you can just drive over them!

The best ones are the offset ones, no one takes notice of those and it just confuses everyone if you drive around it correctly!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 11:53 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi i have just returned home after driving in Spain for the first time for 14 days and the roundabouts where not as bad as i thought and the Spanish drivers where not as bad as i thought either some where polite and gave way to me and i only had 2 people beep me to get in the inside lane so i will drive in Spain again.I even learnt to drive like them  bye the end of the 2 weeks.I used the coast road a lot in the Costa Del sol where the traffic was bad but i managed it Irene

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wanted - Villa for long term rent - 1 posts
Hello finally finished! - 1 posts
Reliable lawyer needed Costa Blanca North - 0 posts
Inspection flights for under £30! - 10 posts
Crime in Zeniamar - 1 posts
Looking for self drive van hire - 0 posts
Tres Molinos, Murcia - 3 posts
Tres Molinos, Murcia - 18 posts
Alterations to properties - 1 posts
Building alterations. - 6 posts
Further confirmation that deadline for modelo 210 non resident form is December - 7 posts
A VERY SAD LOSS - LEN BUCKNALL DUQUESA - 0 posts
Angel de Miraflores HELP - 2 posts
Todays paper - 2 posts
Anybody flying to Malaga in the next few days (preferably from Birmingham) - 4 posts
Does this affect anyone? - 2 posts
hi from newbie - 0 posts
home stuff - 13 posts
Mortgage Rates with Cajasol Bank Spain - 1 posts
Non-resident tax return for 2008 - 1 posts
Trying to see if I get notifiaction - 1 posts
newbie to EOS saying ola - 1 posts
Jet2 Edinburgh to Murcia flights put back - 2 posts
Archivelgolf resort hang on or sell? - 1 posts
Flight times from Glasgow to Malaga - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 44

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x